What are the consequences if/when Davos successfully brings Rickon back to the North?

Robb_Warged

Can I ask why the lords would rally behind Rickon? and as a general question, if all if going well in a certain area of Westeros, say Bolton makes the North this really great and peaceful place to live... would the honour of the lord's vows mean more to them ? Would they always rally around a true 'heir' or a rightful king ? Despite the situation.

If I were say a lord of 'Cold Town' and I'd heard Rickon had returned I might think 'bah... so what?'

Rickon's continued existence fucks up everyone's plans but Manderly's. LF can't help Sansa claim the North, Robb's will may be invalidated by a surviving trueborn son of Eddard Stark, Stannis cannot bestow WF on Jon or another loyal supporter of his claim, the Boltons can't claim WF, and Roose will probably be removed as Warden of the North or killed when Rickon is revealed, meaning the IT will have lost the North a second time.

Can I ask why the lords would rally behind Rickon? and as a general question, if all if going well in a certain area of Westeros, say Bolton makes the North this really great and peaceful place to live... would the honour of the lord's vows mean more to them ? Would they always rally around a true 'heir' or a rightful king ? Despite the situation.

If I were say a lord of 'Cold Town' and I'd heard Rickon had returned I might think 'bah... so what?'

They love the Starks, and were willing to rally behind Robb not so long ago. It's just loyalty to the rightful rulers of the North.

Plus the hate the Boltons because Roose killed their king not very long ago, and because Ramsay is a renowned psychopath.

Rickon's continued existence fucks up everyone's plans but Manderly's. LF can't help Sansa claim the North, Robb's will may be invalidated by a surviving trueborn son of Eddard Stark, Stannis cannot bestow WF on Jon or another loyal supporter of his claim, the Boltons can't claim WF, and Roose will probably be removed as Warden of the North or killed when Rickon is revealed, meaning the IT will have lost the North a second time.

Stannis could propose a marriage between Rickon and Shireen, although I'm sure Manderly's eyeing him up for his daughter as well.

True but some northmen might rather crown him KitN

I think it's unlikely. The Northmen's forces must have been devasted by the war of the five kings, so I'm not sure that they'd be ready for another war of independence. What's more, Stannis could give them the heads of The Boltons and the Lannisters, which would probably satisfy the Northerners. You've got to remember that the Starks and Baratheons were good friends, and the Northerners would probably be willing to bow down to the brother of King Robert.

I think it's unlikely. The Northmen's forces must have been devasted by the war of the five kings, so I'm not sure that they'd be ready for another war of independence. What's more, Stannis could give them the heads of The Boltons and the Lannisters, which would probably satisfy the Northerners. You've got to remember that the Starks and Baratheons were good friends, and the Northerners would probably be willing to bow down to the brother of King Robert.

The north might be able to get Bolton's head all by themselves and how can Stannis give them Lannister heads? With what army? Ned and Robert were good friends. Catelyn offered Stannis an alliance. He refused. And he made no attempt to send envoys to Robb to convince him of the twincest. Stannis didn't want to be friends. That being said, the northern lords might still swear fealty to Stannis and wish him luck but I don't think they'll cry if he dies.

The north might be able to get Bolton's head all by themselves and how can Stannis give them Lannister heads? With what army? Ned and Robert were good friends. Catelyn offered Stannis an alliance. He refused. And he made no attempt to send envoys to Robb to convince him of the twincest. Stannis didn't want to be friends. That being said, the northern lords might still swear fealty to Stannis and wish him luck but I don't think they'll cry if he dies.

With Manderly's fleet and his sellswords on the way Stannis would look like a good bet to get rid of the Lannisters. I'm not saying that the Northerners will grow to love Stannis, but having him as their king probably wouldn't sound that bad to them. If Ned was happy to bow down to Robert then the Northerners might be happy to bow down to Stannis. I certainly don't see them as willing to fight another war for independence at the moment.

One problem your theory overlooks is that the letter that Jon Snow recieves was not from Ramsay, it was from Mance Rayder. I recommend checking out the FAQs at the Citadel on this topic....

? I also think Mance sent the letter..... I dont see how this is an issue. I think Mance sent the letter to get a wildling host south of the wall.

Am I the only person who thinks Manderly was telling the truth? That the North is willing to support the IT if there is a good king on it? That Davos would have noticed if Manderly was talking out of his ass when he promised to declare for Stannis? Davos is not Ned Stark, he is quite intelligent and good at reading people.

ETA: And to answer the OP, I think Rickon and Davos are at Winterfell already. And Rickon returning means the North will trash the Boltons and Freys, and rally their troops, which could be important if the Others come south of the Wall soon.

Am I the only person who thinks Manderly was telling the truth? That the North is willing to support the IT if there is a good king on it? That Davos would have noticed if Manderly was talking out of his ass when he promised to declare for Stannis? Davos is not Ned Stark, he is quite intelligent and good at reading people.

Yeah I agree. Manderly seems genuinelyset on revenge against the Freys and Boltons. His 'the North remebers' speech seemed quite heartfelt. it would slightly ruin one of the greatest chapters in the books if it turned out Manderly was just bullshitting Davos.

With Manderly's fleet and his sellswords on the way Stannis would look like a good bet to get rid of the Lannisters. I'm not saying that the Northerners will grow to love Stannis, but having him as their king probably wouldn't sound that bad to them. If Ned was happy to bow down to Robert then the Northerners might be happy to bow down to Stannis. I certainly don't see them as willing to fight another war for independence at the moment.

Why would Manderly give the northern fleet to Stannis? I don't understand that. Stannis will have his sellswords that's true but sellswords are fickle, I don't know if that would make Stannis a good bet. You're also not taking into account the Tyrells, Aegon, the Ironborn. Stannis's chances don't look great compared to that lot. And basically, it's absolute chaos in the south and that's where the IT is. None of those claimants are going to be heading north anytime soon, so the north could realistically maintain their independence and no one could do anything about it for the time being. In the long term, I don't know, it remains to be seen if anyone can reunite the seven kingdoms.

Robert is nothing like Stannis. If they bend the knee to Stannis, it will be to thank him for defeating the wildlings and for helping them with Bolton/Freys. Also, I think Stannis seems like the kind of guy the north might go for - a good battle commander, not into politics, just etc. But their priority will be Rickon. I think a lot depends on Stannis's behaviour towards Rickon and WF and his tolerance of the old gods.

I ruins the meticulous plans of all the serious players because immediately littlefinger's ambitions are put on hold as he can't get full control of the north with Sansa. Also the northern lords will turn against the Roose and the rule of the boltons will be pretty short-lived. It basically places everyone except the loyal Northern houses and Stannis on the backfoot if Davos returns with Rickon

While I don't think Rickon will die or anything, I don't think things will exactly go as bland.

Think about it, the Skagos now have a Stark heir in their hands. The Mountain Clans tell Stannis and his men that this is their suicide march: "What men want does not matter. Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die"

The young men and women of the Mountain Clans usually go to Winterfell's winter town to seek personal refuge with the Starks. The old men "go hunting" aka die some glorious death fighting a bear or something.

I know the Skagosi rebelled a hundred years ago, but with a long winter ahead, they are likely in the same position. With a Stark heir around, they have leverage. They are described or feared as cannibals, so what we are dealing with is a very primitive and traditional group of First Men. Davos's jailor, and Bran's visions tell a story of an ancient people deeply embroiled in blood magic and possibly cannibalism. Rickon's own brother for all intents and purposes is their tree-god king, a greenseer of the gods they fear and respect.

My theory is that they are going to hitch a ride with Rickon southward in their fishing boats and then rampage their way South to biggest feast of all: the Dreadfort. They get a decent shot at surviving the winter, and the gratitude of a legendary house to boot.

If the Mountain Clans could field 3500 men, then the Skagos could at least have 2500, more with spearwives.

It's winter. This is not time for noble knights. “It is a time for beasts: wolves and lions and savage dogs."-Jaime Lannister

In short, Rickon's return Will. Fuck. Shit. Up.

Even if I didn't see the Red Wedding my first thought in the 90s after bran fell was that Rickon inherits. He won't be three forever. Everyone else has a place in the story but him. he has a wolf, the wolfsblood, and not much else of a role in the story. For the children? And, to start the puppets dancing again on a course to war and strife, another Game of Thrones.

Archived