Purely Speculative but... Do you think Glenden Ball ever made it into the KG?

The Prince of Magpies

I was just listening to the audiobook of The Mystery Knight and reached that wonderfully touching scene where Ser Glenden Ball voices his frustrations to Dunk about the lack of respect he receives and the two men begin to trust one another after Dunk invites him to journey to the North. Ser Glenden is adamant that he will make it into the Kingsguard and Dunk wryly thinks that "you have as much chance of wearing a white cloak as I do."

Dunk, of course, later does make it into the Kingsguard and it is evident that GRRM likes to playfully foreshadow events that the reader knows will later occur: Dunk continually ruminating on the unlikeliness of him making it into the KG, Ser Kyle expecting that Maekar will inherit the throne in spite of Rhaegal and his children, Lady Rohanne shooting down her chances of marrying a Lannister etc.

So do you think there's a chance that TWOIAF or some other source will reveal that Ser Glenden got his wish? There's no real way of knowing now, of course, but I'm happy to speculate on it. He's a character I have a lot of sympathy for.

She does actually.

There was a wife named Rohanne as far as I recall, not a confirmation that she is the same as Rohanne Webber.

On Glendon Flowers/Ball.... If it was revealed that Egg and Dunk went North and took him as well then I would think that the boy has more story to go with him. We just don't know if he accepted in the end.

I really hope he did.

But his name might be a problem, you know, since his father was a famous Blackfyre supporter and all.

True, it might be politically difficult, but by the end of tMK, Egg is hailing his father as a hero. So it seems his experiences with Dunk (particularly tSS) have thought him that there were good men on both sides of the Blackfyre rebellion. Besides, the marriages of his sons show us that, good a king as he apparently was, Aegon V was willing to make politically unpopular moves if he felt he was doing the right thing. Still, it is all speculation until we know more. I hope he did achieve his dream. tMK shows his knightly prowess and every time I read/listen to it he wins me over anew, going from surly teenager to mistreated but honourable knight.

True, it might be politically difficult, but by the end of tMK, Egg is hailing his father as a hero. So it seems his experiences with Dunk (particularly tSS) have thought him that there were good men on both sides of the Blackfyre rebellion. Besides, the marriages of his sons show us that, good a king as he apparently was, Aegon V was willing to make politically unpopular moves if he felt he was doing the right thing. Still, it is all speculation until we know more. I hope he did achieve his dream. tMK shows his knightly prowess and every time I read/listen to it he wins me over anew, going from surly teenager to mistreated but honourable knight.

Fine, if you want some kindling for this idea you have going here you go:

One aspect that would be important to Aegon's reign is the legacy of the Blackfyre insurrections. Some political decisions that he makes will be influenced with trying to reconcile the two enemy sides so raising Glendon "Ball" might be a move to mollify remaining Blackfyre supporters.

On that note, i will continue to reserve an opinion. There is nothing hinting that he did achieve such a dream (or that he even kept it in the long run), and we need more of the story and character to be revealed before we can begin to speculate.

Which one?

According to the Westerlands reading from the world of ice and fire book, Gerold Lannister(Tywin's grandfather), married a Rohanne. Considering it was said that there would be a suprising Lannister ancestor revealed, it's highly possible that she's Rohanne Weber.

According to the Westerlands reading from the world of ice and fire book, Gerold Lannister(Tywin's grandfather), married a Rohanne. Considering it was said that there would be a suprising Lannister ancestor revealed, it's highly possible that she's Rohanne Weber.

In other words someone named Rohanne married Gerold the Golden, and it may or may not be the one we see in The Sworn Sword.

Well, it depends on the fight. Dunk's pretty good with a sword but Glendon is great on horseback.

This is true, but I would think that the kid would be jaded or done altogether with the Blackfyres after his treatment with them. Half his teeth broken and gone is a pretty good reminder of a grudge, and that is not counting the fact that he was branded with hot iron.

Archived