Tywin fans unite!

Lord Orys

I'm not saying Tywin was a military genius, but losing battles or having something fuck up in your theatre and being a military genius aren't mutually exclusive.

Maybe not, but Tywin wasn't just losing battles, he was losing the war. Against a 16 year old. Now if he was facing superior forces, like say Lee (who was a military genius, but still lost the war) during the civil war, that's one thing, but I would think the Westerlands were quite capable of beating the North and the Riverlands.

Maybe not, but Tywin wasn't just losing battles, he was losing the war. Against a 16 year old. Now if he was facing superior forces, like say Lee (who was a military genius, but still lost the war) during the civil war, that's one thing, but I would think the Westerlands were quite capable of beating the North and the Riverlands.

"You think I'd be in my position if I'd lost a war?" - Tywin Lannister ACOK paperback pg. 417

Wasn't the Westerlands military strength 40 000 men at the start of the war? I think that the North and the Riverlands combined have more manpower than that.

And what wars has Tywin waged exactly? The one where he vastly outnumbered the Reynes or the one where he sacks the capital after waiting for the rebels to do all the work? Or the one where he gets his entire fleet destroyed by people like Euron & Vic?

The dumbass Reynes rushed at him half cocked because he took out their ally so quickly. Fighting battles were you are outnumbered is something most smart commanders will try to avoid. His fleet was burned at anchor with no provocation, no one saw the Greyjoy rebellion coming, Stannis didn't see the wildfire coming, is he an idiot for getting his entire fleet destroyed at Blackwater?

I prefer other ruthless/no-nonsense leaders from aSoIaF without the tendency to go completely nuts if slighted or provoked, if i'm being honest, but he's undeniably a competent ruler and lord.

Genna nails it, though. Everything she says about him is so true. I like her story (the Frey marriage), Little Tywin had balls.

but he wasn't losing.

Literally all of Robb's victories have come by ambush, and they led to absolutely nothing.

Oxcross- His magical wolf led him to a path around the Golden Tooth so he could surprise and ambush the weakest part of Tywin's army. What did he win off that? Nothing. None of the castles he captured were kept. He married Jeyne which essentially ruined him.

Whispering Wood- Ambushed Jaime and a small retinue. Lost numerous high lords, but captured Jaime nonetheless. Jaime is released some time later for no ransom.

Two battles. Hell, even he knew he was losing it.

but he wasn't losing.

Literally all of Robb's victories have come by ambush, and they led to absolutely nothing.

Oxcross- His magical wolf led him to a path around the Golden Tooth so he could surprise and ambush the weakest part of Tywin's army. What did he win off that? Nothing. None of the castles he captured were kept. He married Jeyne which essentially ruined him.

Whispering Wood- Ambushed Jaime and a small retinue. Lost numerous high lords, but captured Jaime nonetheless. Jaime is released some time later for no ransom.

Two battles. Hell, even he knew he was losing it.

Whispering wood and battle of the camps are two different engagements.

"nd hoo r u" de prowd lor sed "dat I mus bou so loe. onlee a kat uv a difernt cote, das al da truf I knoe. in a cote uv gol nd a cote uv read, de liyn stil haz claus. nd mien r lon nd shawp mai lor, alson nd shawp ass urs."
nd soe he spok n so he spok, dat lawd o castamiir, butt now da reinz wiip or hiz hal wif noone der to heer, yez now da reinz wiip orr hiz hal n not a sowl to heer.
Da Reinz of Castamiir.

"nd hoo r u" de prowd lor sed "dat I mus bou so loe. onlee a kat uv a difernt cote, das al da truf I knoe. in a cote uv gol nd a cote uv read, de liyn stil haz claus. nd mien r lon nd shawp mai lor, alson nd shawp ass urs."

nd soe he spok n so he spok, dat lawd o castamiir, butt now da reinz wiip or hiz hal wif noone der to heer, yez now da reinz wiip orr hiz hal n not a sowl to heer.

Da Reinz of Castamiir.

wonderful...I still have difficulties in deciphering it, although I know the words in the original language :)

I think he was the most intelligent man in westeros.

he really loved his wife and I think she was the only human being that ever loved him.

He had no one to love or to be capable to love, so devoted his life to putting his family in power.

Archived