Jaime Lannister's Love Life

Benandante

Cersei's affairs are many; by AFFC, it's downright scandalous, sufficient to merit a trial. This stands in stark contrast with the promiscuity of her twin.

Has Jaime known women other than Cersei?

Development:

He references his commitment to Cersei often. It's part of how we feel sympathy for him in ASoS, as we're well aware she's been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy, for all Tyrion knows. Lancel, a poor imitation of Jaime; Aurane Waters, a poor imitation of Rhaegar.

I had always thought Jaime had eyes for one woman only, it makes him a more interesting character, gives him pathos. Then I came across this bit from ASoS, as Jaime travels South from Harrenhal with Steelshanks Walton, Qyburn,and Brienne;

I have come this way before, Jaime reflected a few miles further on, when they passed a deserted mill beside the lake. Weeds now grew where once the miller’s daughter had smiled shyly at him, and the miller himself had shouted out, “The tourney’s back the other way, ser.” As if I had not known.

"The Tourney" in the Riverlands must be Lord Whent's tourney. Jaime would have been 15. On that day - as he was only at the Harrenhal tourney for one day, as Aerys sent Jaime to KL after the King had granted him the white cloak. "Took the white." By taking the White, Jaime forswore his father. He hoped to be closer to Cersei but Tywin resigned as Hand and took her back to King's Landing.

Jaime would have otherwise married Lysa Arryn, according to both Tywin and Hoster (seems therefore trustworthy). Robert's Rebellion would have never happened (Tywin stays Hand; also Littlefinger doesn't knock up Lysa) had this marriage gone through, as you get the sense the Hoster Tully was the swing vote of the war ("Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully"). If you remember that Jaime's killing of alchemist Rossart effectively saved the entire city of King's Landing from Wildfire, Jaime's life has been among the most decisive in the story.

Let me make a quick connection:

-Jaime goes to Harrenhal, wins glory, and does not marry Lysa Arryn

-Jorah goes to Lannisport, wins glory, and does marry Lynesse Hightower (The Eyre is a High Tower)

-Rhaegar goes to Harrenhal, wins glory, and does not marry (but does capture) Lyanna Stark in the Tower of Joy

-The Knight of the Laughing Tree goes to Harrenhal wins glory, and something happens with Ashara Dayne, who threw herself from a tower

How old was Tyrion when he met Tysha? Arranged by Jaime. Tysha was a crofter's daughter, but does the miller/crofter difference pertain here? Both Lannister sons had affairs with common women at a young age, both connect to disapproval from their father (white cloak in Jaime's case).

Jaime has known other women, or rather, one other woman.

This is nicely parallel with Tyrion's arc of physical romance - while Tyrion has known whores, he has really only known "one woman" before Shae. Tyrion's Shae is analogous to Jaime's Cersei here, in that she - a second woman - completely meets the desires of the Lannister son.

I wonder how Jaime arranging the Tysha run-in relates to the Harrenhal tourney; did someone arrange the miller's daughter? Aerys, maybe?

To be continued in Part 2: Brienne and the Golden Hand

Cersei's affairs are many; by AFFC, it's downright scandalous, sufficient to merit a trial.

Besides Robert (her husband) and Jaime, hasn't Cersei only slept with two other men (Lancel and Kettleblack)?

Interesting topic, but Jaime did not arrange the meeting with Tysha.

He and Tyrion simply witnessed Tysha being abused by a group of men and Jaime fought them while Tyrion took care of Tysha and eventually married her.

Tywin ordered Jaime to lie and tell Tyrion that he had paid Tysha,

The miller's daughter smiled shyly at Jaime, as I'm certain lots of young girls and women did, after all he is a beautiful man. But when he is Robb's prisoner he tells Cat that he has never slept with another woman than Cersei. And, as he has no reason to lie about that, I'm sure that is the truth. I have no idea, OP, what in your qoute makes you think could refer anything beyond Jaime noticing her existence.

I think the OP is an excellent post with a point. Why else would Jaime have been riding, deliberately,in the wrong direction? And what are miller's womenfolk known for in this epic...? Questions that ought, indeed, to be raised and answered.

His enlightened, wise treatment of Pia and Peck also seemed oddly knowing for a supposedly narcissistic quasi-virgin.

But yes, necessary correction that Tysha turned out to be real not arranged (thank the gods the show eventually decisively dropped that over-contrived storyline)

The miller's daughter smiled shyly at Jaime, as I'm certain lots of young girls and women did, after all he is a beautiful man. But when he is Robb's prisoner he tells Cat that he has never slept with another woman than Cersei. And, as he has no reason to lie about that, I'm sure that is the truth. I have no idea, OP, what in your qoute makes you think could refer anything beyond Jaime noticing her existence.

Agreed

I think the OP is an excellent post with a point. Why else would Jaime have been riding, deliberately,in the wrong direction?

See below

I assumed Jaime was riding away from the Tourney as ordered by Aerys

It's this, Jaime's semi-sour remembrance of being very aware of which way the Tournament is, is because he's being sent away from what he had hoped would be his victory at the great tournament.

Jaime was sent away from the tourney by the King, so yeah he was riding in the opposite way of it, pretty much explains that.

Jaime himself states that he has "known" no other woman than Cersei. Kind of hard to refute since he himself says it and during his POV's he never thinks man, that millers girl was a sweet ......

It just shows that he is capable of being attracted to women who are not Cersei, even prior to their estrangement.

Possible, though you'll note that all Jaime's remembrance entails is her smiling at him, nothing about him smiling back, or thinking "she had huuuuge... tracts of land".

Besides Robert (her husband) and Jaime, hasn't Cersei only slept with two other men (Lancel and Kettleblack)?

I believe it's heavily hinted that Cersei slept with another Kettleblack (thought not with all three ) and that she was sleeping around quite a lot even before GoT.

About Jaime, being faithful does not mean he can't notice other women and get aroused by them.

Jaime's own words are that Cersei was his only partner, and there is no reason to think he was lying.

I believe it's heavily hinted that Cersei slept with another Kettleblack (thought not with all three ) and that she was sleeping around quite a lot even before GoT.

Where is it even suggested that Cersei had sex with anyone other than Robert and Jaime before AGOT? Cersei's "whore" status is people picking up Tyrion's misogynistic jibe and running with it, even though she's only had sex with 4-5 people in her life.

Jaime's own words are that Cersei was his only partner, and there is no reason to think he was lying.

Where is it even suggested that Cersei had sex with anyone other than Robert and Jaime before AGOT? Cersei's "whore" status is people picking up Tyrion's misogynistic jibe and running with it, even though she's only had sex with 4-5 people in her life.

I agree, there's all sorts of fucked up things about Cersei, including her sex life, but the number of partners is not it.

Cersei has slept with five people: Robert, Jaime, Lancel, "Keep the Crown On" Kettleback, and Taena.

what a fucking slut omg, she needs to keep it her pants!!! 5 people in 30+ years, clutching my pearls rn

AHHH!!! For the love of all that's decent, we must slut shame her to restore the rightful patriarchal order!

Quick! Strip her naked so people can see that her boobs are slightly saggy, because that's somehow related to her capacity to govern!

what a fucking slut omg, she needs to keep it her pants!!! 5 people in 30+ years, clutching my pearls rn

AHHH!!! For the love of all that's decent, we must slut shame her to restore the rightful patriarchal order!

Quick! Strip her naked so people can see that her boobs are slightly saggy, because that's somehow related to her capacity to govern!

No, seriously, the whole thing is absurd, especially when you consider how this is what everyone fixates on. Like, in-text too, this is what turns Jaime off, which...seriously?

Archived