If Jon is heir to Winterfell..

Poppa Chase

Then why haven't any Northmen come up to protect him? If they met Howland Reed and he sees that it's Jon, why not dispatch some soldiers and a diplomat, to inform Jon and rescue him before the word of his inheritance gets flayed out of someone? Because then team Robb has a serious problem.

So does Howland think the boy is safe leading a force of brigands, Outlaws, rapists, and murderers? I mean, what if he gets shanked by mutineers, like the previous LC not even a few months earlier?...

Then why haven't any Northmen come up to protect him? If they met Howland Reed and he sees that it's Jon, why not dispatch some soldiers and a diplomat, to inform Jon and rescue him before the word of his inheritance gets flayed out of someone? Because then team Robb has a serious problem.

So does Howland think the boy is safe leading a force of brigands, Outlaws, rapists, and murderers? I mean, what if he gets shanked by mutineers, like the previous LC not even a few months earlier?...

Stannis was at the wall so declaring him as their king there hm would be a problem.

As a sworn member of the NW, Jon is not eligible to be an heir. Unless ... something happens to him .. like, IDK, he's stabbed by mutineers, declared dead, "and now his watch is ended," and then he's reborn via Mel's magic...nah, couldn't happen.

Bran by law.

Sansa according to Lannisters (well until the PW at least) and Littlefinger.

Arya according to the Boltons.

Rickon according to Wyman Manderley.

Robb drafted a will. He worked very hard on it. Rewriting it over and over. Then he had all his lords sign it and handed it over to two of them on a secret mission into the bog to make sure he has an heir. Why on earth would it name his dead brothers, who would already be his heirs anyway? Or the lannister sister he's trying to avoid giving It to? Or the sister he believes is either dead or with lannisters? Makes no sense.

Well, it's already started in to a pissing contest on who is the heir. It's subject to interpretation, based on your stance and some cases who you like....or in this case, don't like as a character. To be honest, this is the point. Will we see the Starks fighting over WF or will the remaining members say fuck everybody and stick together.

As for the OP question. There are already Northern men at the Wall and others trickling in. How do we know, that they aren't there to watch Jon. There could be some there, by Robb's order or others that are there on their own accord...watching and measuring Jon as a person. We don't know.

Could Robb have sent a small mobile force to the Wall to protect Jon? He might. But they would have had to cross the entire North, controlled by Ironborn.

Robb drafted a will. He worked very hard on it. Rewriting it over and over. Then he had all his lords sign it and handed it over to two of them on a secret mission into the bog to make sure he has an heir. Why on earth would it name his dead brothers, who would already be his heirs anyway? Or the lannister sister he's trying to avoid giving It to? Or the sister he believes is either dead or with lannisters? Makes no sense.

First, Robb had the will with him at the twins and did not give it to anyone. The will no longer exists so it's immaterial what's on the will.

Second, there's no indication (none at all) that anyone other than Catelyn knew what was in the will. They may have known but I for one am not comfortable in assuming they did. Are we supposed to belive that Catelyn was the only one who would have objected to Jon s the heir? Sorry, i don't buy it.

Even if we assume the will does exist (It dosn't), all it would accomplish is to legitimize Jon and not make him heir. Someone of authority would have to do something to excuse Jon from his vows, preferrably the Lord of Winterfell. And you can be sure, Ramsay is not doing that. Stannis has tried and failed as the King.

So, we're back down to what I said initially. Who the heir is depends on who you talk to.

Bran by law.

But it's not Jon Snow/Stark.

Well, let's be honest. The only people who are going to disagree or tear apart your post are those who don't like Jon or have an ax to grind with him. You'll hear, he is "in the Nights Watch and can't hold titles or lands" or he is "just a bastard." But we have already seen there could be away out of Night's Watch, by royal decree. Robb was a King. It is heavily implied that he named Jon heir and gave him a Stark name. That's pretty clear. The question is, will people follow Robb's wishes. Certainly anyone south of the Riverlands won't. But should the North rally behind Jon and raise a army and can win; it doesn't matter what KL, Storms End, Casterly Rock, Dorne, Oldtown, Highgarden....or anyone else thinks. It all comes down power. Right now there is no King in the North.....but there could be in the end.

when Jon marries Alys to Sigorn, the older Northern Clan leaders come to the Wall to witness the marriage. through that chapter they discuss a few things and Jon lays out what he plans to do, letting them know he may seem a green boy in their eyes but that he is a son of Lord Stark and he knows winter is coming. i took that as they were there to observe what type of man Jon is before they raise him to their king. it seems that quietly the Northern s are learning of their late kings will

The heirship is complicated because no one has all the information. To me, Jon is the heir because that was the wish of Robb, the King and Lord of Winterfell and he made it known and legal(ish. I am sure the NW lords would have been glad to release Jon from his oath, especially after he started pissing them off as LC).

Robb's will was sent off with a Mormont and Glover before he reached the Twins, so it is out there. So Robb legitimizing him and naming him the heir would be done by someone with authority. Robb's wish would have a lot more effect on Jon then Stannis's did, 1. because it is Robb, his brother, 2. because he would not have to give up his gods for Stannis' god.

Littlefinger thinks Sansa is the heir because he does not know that Bran and Rickon are alive or of Robb's will. She has no claim because her brothers are alive.

Bran is the heir without the will, but as he is well north of the Wall in a tree cave, I think he can be assumed dead because I doubt he will leave that tree physically ever again.

Rickon would then be the heir after that, save for Robb's will. Manderly does want him because he has a claim to Winterfell, a better one then Arya, plus he and Shaggy Dog will instantly recognize fake Arya as not being Arya. I see no reason for the Manderlys not to back Jon if the other nothern lords are lining up to back him, Rickon is very very young and with the exposure of Robb's will, no longer the heir.

First, Robb had the will with him at the twins and did not give it to anyone. The will no longer exists so it's immaterial what's on the will.

Second, there's no indication (none at all) that anyone other than Catelyn knew what was in the will. They may have known but I for one am not comfortable in assuming they did. Are we supposed to belive that Catelyn was the only one who would have objected to Jon s the heir? Sorry, i don't buy it.

Even if we assume the will does exist (It dosn't), all it would accomplish is to legitimize Jon and not make him heir. Someone of authority would have to do something to excuse Jon from his vows, preferrably the Lord of Winterfell. And you can be sure, Ramsay is not doing that. Stannis has tried and failed as the King.

So, we're back down to what I said initially. Who the heir is depends on who you talk to.

Bran by law.

But it's not Jon Snow/Stark.

Please show me where it says he had the will with him. And I'm pretty sure a king is the only one who can legitimize or remove from Nights watch.

I would like to see where this is mentioned. Because it isn't in the books.

Please show me where it says he had the will with him. And I'm pretty sure a king is the only one who can legitimize or remove from Nights watch.

Robb did NOT give the will to Maege and Gallabart. He gave them false documents not the will.

Robb also did not have a maester so he could not have sent the will anywhere.

The logical conclusions is that he had the will with him unless you have some evidence denying this. I couldn't find any.

Archived