Ser Rodrik and Ser Aron don't see a dagger before them

unitron

Varys was probably sitting back playing ignorant to see how all of this would shake out. Cat taking Tyrion hostage is something he didn't count on, and for that matter neither did Cat until right before she did it. Of course Varys knew, he always knows...

I think trying to dig up a possible plot hole here is a little silly. We don't know that Rodrick even found Santagar or if Santagar would drop everything and chase off to some inn for whatever reason. I think this is making something of nothing.

"Ser Rodrik Cassel is master-at-arms at Winterfell," Varys informed him. " I assure you, Lady Stark, nothing at all has been done to the good knight. He did call here early this afternoon and they talked of a certain dagger. About sunset, they left the castle together and walked to that dreadful hovel where you were staying. They are still there, drinking in the common room, waiting for your return. Ser Rodrik was very distressed to find you gone."

So I was a little sloppy earlier in assuming they rode, rather than walked, from the armory back to the inn, but they were together from early afternoon 'til after dark, and they specifically discussed a certain dagger.

Robert bragged about the dagger, so it's unlikely that Santagar didn't know about it. But maybe Santagar is one of the brightest minds in the Red Keep: He thinks it's very suspicious for the Winterfell Master of Arms to come ahead of his Lord to ask about one particular weapon and, since the owner is the King, he plays dumb - and goes to inform Varys at the earliest opportunity, although Varys already knew by then.

But yes, it's a forced explanation.

"Ser Rodrik Cassel is master-at-arms at Winterfell," Arys informed him. " I assure you, Lady Stark, nothing at all has been done to the good knight. He did call here early this afternoon and they talked of a certain dagger. About sunset, they left the castle together and walked to that dreadful hovel where you were staying. They are still there, drinking in the common room, waiting for your return. Ser Rodrik was very distressed to find you gone."

So I was a little sloppy earlier in assuming they rode, rather than walked, from the armory back to the inn, but they were together from early afternoon 'til after dark, and they specifically discussed a certain dagger.

Ok, so they did meet... it still doen't change anything. This seems like a weak detail to point to as evidence of something sinister or even to bust GRRM's balls as a major plot hole...

I've eaten potatoes with more brains than Ser Rodrik

Ser Rodrick isn't supposed to be Maester Luwin... he's the master-at-arms, a lifelong soldier who knows duty, loyalty, and following orders. In no way is supposed to be incredibly clever. Case in point: Barristan Selmy

Archived