Hypothetical single combats: Who would win?

James Steller

Yes! First person to, that I've seen, choose Bronn over Loras Tyrell. The argument that Loras unhorsed the Mountain loses weight when it seems that Loras Tyrell used a mare in heat to take advantage of Gregor's brutish, aggressive horse. On the other hand, Bronn sees great success because he doesn't fight like a knight, he uses wicked blades and quick cunning to subdue opponents. Furthermore, in the books, I don't believe Bronn is described as that old compared to Loras, I may be wrong on that one though. Anyways, Bronn, yeah, Bronn.

You dismiss Loras's achievement because it was dirty while praising Bronn for using the same tactics?

Asha Greyjoy vs Obara Sand

Tormund vs Strong Belwas

Theon non reek vs Ramsay

Osha vs Ygritte

Mance Rayder vs Rhaegar Targeryen

Wyman vs Illyrio

Bittersteel vs Robert Baratheon

Baelor Breakspear vs Oberyn Martell

Bloodraven vs Blackfish

Daemon Blackfyre vs Arthur Dayne

Obara

Tormund

Theon

Ygritte

Mance (he'd have more real combat experience)

Wyman

Bob

Oberyn (I kept feeling Baelor will be killed because he's too honourable)

Bloodraven

Daemon

drogo because of speed and killer instinct, the red viper versatility and poison, the mountain i would take the bigger brute, ned valeryian steel wins, arthur only due to legend, jorah just because i like him and bronn because he is crafty and just nasty

Khal Drogo vs. Sandor Clegane

Oberyn Martell vs. two handed Jaime Lannister

Gregor Clegane vs. Robert Baratheon

Eddard Stark vs. Beric Dondarrion

Barristan Selmy vs. Arthur Dayne (both in their prime)

Jorah Mormont vs. Thoros of Myr

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

- sandor. everyone seems pretty dismissive of the dothraki unless they are attacking as an army. drogo might be quicker but sandor is bigger and stronger while no slouch himself in the speed department. a lot of the bigger fighters get described as being quick for their size but these two are just quick in general, so its not much of an advantage for drogo. hound is just as fierce a fighter and would be better equipped. drogo is kind of overrated imo.

- toss up but probably jamie. cant really vouch a strong argument either way, but my gut tells me jamie.

- gregor. hate to say it but i think this is simply just a bad match up for robert. both fought with brute strength and using size to their advantage. robert likely has the stamina edge (not much is said about them, but he did win three battles in one day during his rebellion) but i dont think this fight would last long. when two guys use the same strategy ill take the bigger and stronger fighter, and thats the mountain (even though i think hed lose to a couple other fighters on this list).

- beric. its unfair to say ned was an average fighter but i dont really remember ever seeing much about him being a great one either. i do remember a couple of times in the first book where he was very observant of jamie and the hounds presence in possibly tense situations though which gave me the impression he had very little confidence hed stand a chance against either of them. not like beric beat the hound either, but he did put up a fight.

- no clue between selmy and dayne.

- jorah. again, i feel like it could go either way but my main thought process is thoros' seemed like a better mele and tournament fighter than real fighter. jorah was also tough enough to kill one of drogos top fighters while he had a sword dug into his hip. have to give him credit for that one even if he did almost get killed in the process.

- loras. bronn is a great character and i think that makes people view him as better than he really is. hes definitely a threat but i dont see him as a top guy. his speed might not be too big of an advantage against loras, either. one thing about bronn always stood out to me and it kind of has a lot more to do with how people will reach for anything to give their favorite character an edge; no one mentions how tyrion said that even bronn would watch how he talked to timett (sp?) son of timett for fear of what he might do in retaliation. ive never seen anyone bring up a clansmen from the first book as an elite fighter but apparently he was enough to make bronn cautious. i might be hypocritical and reaching there, but for everything that people bring up to defend characters, i think thats a decent knock on bronn as an elite fighter.

Khal Drogo vs. Sandor Clegane -> Sandor simply because armour > no armour. However if hand to hand combat, and no armour. Than Khal Drogo wins easily!

Oberyn Martell vs. two handed Jaime Lannister -> Oberyn Martell hands down. While Jaime may be the best swordsman in Westeros. In 1 vs 1 combat, a Spearman will defeat a swordsman almost all the time! The distance of the spear gives the spearman a huge advantage over the swordsman, and an experienced spearman like Oberyn would almost always defeat a swordsman (with or without poison!).

Gregor Clegane vs. Robert Baratheon -> Robert Baratheon. Now while the Mountain is much larger, and stronger. He is also less intelligent, and relies on brute strength. Robert Baratheon is nearly his equal in strength and size, yet he is much smarter. He could afford to wait until the Mountain made a mistake, or wait for an opportunity to shove his war hammer up the mountains arse!!

Eddard Stark vs. Beric Dondarrion -> I feel that either man could win, I would choose Ned because I am partial to him.

Barristan Selmy vs. Arthur Dayne (both in their prime) -> While I really like Selmy, if Dayne is in his prime and had Dawn. Than this is a no contest.

Jorah Mormont vs. Thoros of Myr -> I am not really sure, but I would choose Jorah Mormont.

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell -> I will defy convention, and say Bronn. Simply because he does not fight with honour. He fights smart, and uses his environment to his advantage. He is also an extremely intelligent fighter, and will study his opponent to find there weakness and exploit it. Thus he is able to hang back, and stall until his enemy makes a mistake. Loras is young, wild, and out to prove a point. He would come into the fight over confidant, and underestimate Bronn.

• 6 months later...

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

Khal Drogo- I feel this was the undisputed king of wrecking face until a silly infection brought him down. Poor Drogo. We never knew ye.

Obergy Martell- I'd usually side with a skilled opponent that uses a spear as opposed to a sword.

Eddard Stark- Beric was a walking pin cushion. He fought. He died. Story of this guy.

Barristan Selmy- He's a artist with a blade!

Jorah Mormont- I feel like Thoros used his flaming blade as a schtick. Jorah hangs out with dragons. He's not panicing over a flaming sword.

Loras Tyrell- I like Bronn as much as the nest fella, but Loras is a fantastic fighter.

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

-Sandor (great warriors, clegane has much better equipment)

-Jaime (oberyn is a great and unusual warrior, but a legendary swordsman like jaime will win in the end)

-Robert (gregor is extremely dangerous to everybody because no one is stronger than him, but Bob has countless feats, legendary strength aswell,and legendary prowess with his warhammer (grrm's official site description), which makes him the favourite in every match)

-Beric

-Dayne with dawn, if not it´s a tie (grrm's words)

-Jorah and Thoros can go either way for me

-Loras

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

I'm tempted to say Drogo, but with no armor he probably goes down to the Hound.

Jaime, but this was the hardest call

Gregor...Robert relied on strength, which would not work against a bigger and stronger man

Beric

Dayne

Thoros

Bronn

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell

Sandor. Drogo is dirt as a fighter. Pretty much any knight could kick the shit out of him, due to him being such an idiot. Being literally immune to your enemy's weapons is a rather big advantage.

Jaime. A spear is a crappy dueling weapon under normal conditions, and I'm sure that Jaime is both stronger and more skilled with every weapon except a spear.

Robert. Eddard seemed to think of him as an unstoppable force in his prime. Plus, he has a hammer. Make them fight hand to hand, however, and it'd be a difference story, as Gregor's extra foot and 150-200 pounds would tell.

Beric. He seemed to be of some repute as a fighter, while Eddard is as average as it gets for a nobleman (i.e. still above 99% of people).

This one has been answered. Both are about as good, but only one has a special sword.

Uh... [flips coin]... Thoros.

Loras. He's consistently put in the top ten fighters by GRRM. Bronn is not. Also, assuming they have their standard equipment, Loras will have a rather huge advantage over Bronn. Bronn very nearly lost to a 50 year old knight with horribly inappropriate weapons, only winning due to dumb luck. A young, highly skilled knight in plate armor would go through him like a hot knife through butter.

Asha Greyjoy vs Obara Sand

Tormund vs Strong Belwas

Theon non reek vs Ramsay

Osha vs Ygritte

Mance Rayder vs Rhaegar Targeryen

Wyman vs Illyrio

Bittersteel vs Robert Baratheon

Baelor Breakspear vs Oberyn Martell

Bloodraven vs Blackfish

Daemon Blackfyre vs Arthur Dayne

Uh... [flips coin]... Asha.

Tormund.

Theon. He's a formally trained nobleman and soldier, with some combat experience. Ramsay is garbage; he doesn't even have any formal training at arms, and has never won a real fight.

Ygritte. I guess.

Rhaegar. He should have trained with a master-at-arms, and was apparently a gifted jouster. Mance would only have the training of the Night's Watch (far inferior to what a royal prince could get), plus experience fighting untrained Wildlings.

Wyman weighs significantly more. Not sure if that's an advantage or a disadvantage in this situation.

Big Bobby B. I don't think anyone could take him under normal conditions.

Baelor.

Bloodraven. Blackfish was never a warrior of any repute.

Dunno.

1. Is The Hound wearing plate? if so, The Hound, if not, Drogo.

2. Jaime, he's faster than Gregor Clegane (everyone is faster than Gregor Clegane....) and once he'd gotten between Oberyn and his spear point then the fight is over.

3. Gregor, I think....Just coz he's massive.

4. Beric, even if his sword wasn't on fire. Ned never claims to be a great swordsman.

5. Ser Barri vs Ser Art? I really don't know, I think of them as having similar levels of badassry. Maybe Dawn gives Ser Arthur the edge?

6. Ser Jorah. Even at his best, Thoros majors on shock value, and Ser Jorah isn't easily spooked. Plus he's probably gotten used to stuff that's on fire now.

7. Bronn, I'd never bet against Bronn, besides, you know he'll cheat.

1. Is The Hound wearing plate? if so, The Hound, if not, Drogo.

2. Jaime, he's faster than Gregor Clegane (everyone is faster than Gregor Clegane....) and once he'd gotten between Oberyn and his spear point then the fight is over.

3. Gregor, I think....Just coz he's massive.

4. Beric, even if his sword wasn't on fire. Ned never claims to be a great swordsman.

5. Ser Barri vs Ser Art? I really don't know, I think of them as having similar levels of badassry. Maybe Dawn gives Ser Arthur the edge?

6. Ser Jorah. Even at his best, Thoros majors on shock value, and Ser Jorah isn't easily spooked. Plus he's probably gotten used to stuff that's on fire now.

7. Bronn, I'd never bet against Bronn, besides, you know he'll cheat.

Loras has been kind of known to cheat too ;)

Just wanted to say, spear vs. sword in a 1 on 1 on foot and armoured heavily favours the sword. So much so that I doubt Oberyn sticks with the spear vs. someone like Jaime; I think it was very much a specific fit designed to expose the closest thing to a weakness the Mountain has.

Spears are best used on horseback or as a unit. Individually they are too easy to break or even just grab to rely on vs. someone using a weapon with which you can't do either. Without armour the greater reach might be arguable, but otherwise it's only something to do in a 'nothing to lose' scenario like the Mountain.

Khal Drogo vs. Sandor Clegane, better equipment and feats

Oberyn Martell vs. two handed Jaime Lannister, If armored Jaime, if unarmored Oberyn.

Gregor Clegane vs. Robert Baratheon Could go either way, I am going to go for Gregor just because he could overpower Robert in a grapple

Eddard Stark vs. Beric Dondarrion, better equipment and more experience

Barristan Selmy vs. Arthur Dayne (both in their prime) he has Dawn.

Jorah Mormont vs. Thoros of Myr, Bigger and more experienced.

Bronn vs. Loras Tyrell, better equipment and is well renowned as a fighter.

In the end, the top is composed by legendary warriors...

There´s the legendary swords like Dayne, Jaime and Barristan (and the ones from the past)...

There´s the legendary warhammer user with freakish strength, Robert...

There´s a freak of nature like Gregor who has inhuman strength...

And there's the margin of Selmy that can make pretty much anything happen... personal fatigue, a slip, current health, etc

In my opinion Bob is always a favourite due to his legendary prowess with his warhammer, book feats, 6'6, built like a tank, perfect conditions for armoured single-combat... that´s why i think he would beat even a freak like the Mountain, my money would always be on his prime-self against any other

Archived