Serious Question: What are the most well-backed theories?

Snarky

Well rounded generally (though not universally) accepted theories:

R+L=J

Ser Robert Strong = The Mountain

The Hound = The Grave Digger

Alleras = Sarella

Tywin poisoned by Oberyn

Has merit but still works in progress needing a bit more evidence

GNC in some form

Aegon is fake in form

R+L=J

Gravedigger=Sandor

Cersei=Idiot

Tywin being poisoned

Robert Strong=Gregor

And to me...the most well thought out, researched, written and all around put together is the Grand North Conspiracy. Even if it is not exact, you can't deny that it is on to something. I guess you could deny it but if you do, I have to assume you also deny the curvature of the earth.

The gravedigger theory is one that never has to be proven or disproven to me. I love the assumption and the clues that were given to us with a wink.

Robert Strong is just so obvious. Which in a weird way makes it seem like it could be a red herring. It could also be that GRRM is just throwing us a lazy brain bone.

Tywin being poisoned is very interesting to me. The whodunit kind of interest. That question may never be answered. I think a lot of these are just left for us to use our imaginations. Which, I am very happy to do. It helps with mental exercise.. A brain treadmill. We keep running and no matter how far we run, we really haven't gone anywhere.

Boats I guess?

GRRM said that he didn't want people to nitpick over distances traveled vs time.

The logistics of it as a story telling device seem valid - I dunno, it's not my theory. I haven't even read ADWD yet :) But I read GoTs and ACoKs knowing R+L=J and it seemed to ring true, so I'll be keeping this theory in mind when I read the most recent books. I know, I'm doing it ass about - but I have re watched the show so many times before I started reading the books that the idea of plot surprises seems irrelevant to me now.

This one will be either proven or dis-proven with Season 5 of the show, regardless.

You sure like to play with fire, lurking in these forums full of spoilery threads.

The theory does not make any sense concerning the logistics though. You can't make a trip to iron islands and return to slavers bay like it was nothing. For this theory to make sense, there needs to be some form of magic involved. It is not entirely out of question because Euron seems to be in leage with warlocks and the storm god. The theory is not entirely refutable, but it didn't convince me either.

I'd say the theories with the most evidence are:

1. R+L=J (no surprises there)
  2. The Grand Northern Conspiracy (some variant)
  3. fAegon Blackfyre (some variant)
  4. Tyrion= Targ (as much as I hate this one)
  5. Jojen Paste (hate this one too)
  6. Frey Pie (love this)
  7. Hound = Gravedigger
  8. Robert Strong = Undead Mountain
  9. Oberyn poisoned Tywin

Honorable mention: There was a conspiracy among the lords to get rid of the Mad King diplomatically by uniting their Houses through marriage - aka the Southron ambitions theory.

Thoughts?

"Serious Question: What are the most well backed-theories?"

Has the forum got into such a state that we have to actually announce serious questions before we ask them, the same way we used to do with crackpot theories?

Yes. It's sorta like Fox News around here, hard to tell facts on the one hand from fiction and innuendo on the other (and usually it's the latter).

Boats I guess?

GRRM said that he didn't want people to nitpick over distances traveled vs time.

Although there's a difference between Nitpicking and Ignoring the logistics entirely.

I can understand that GRRM doesn't want people counting the miles and days of someone travelling from the Wall to King's Landing for instance. Nitpicking would be quibbling over it taking 12 weeks or could it be done in 8 weeks. But if someone made this journey in an afternoon then I think questions should be asked.

Yes. It's sorta like Fox News around here, hard to tell facts on the one hand from fiction and innuendo on the other (and usually it's the latter).

Fox News occasionally reports facts? But yeah I get what you mean, but I don't think it's fair to compare these forums to Fox, these threads may have BS, but at least it ain't racist, misogynistic, homophobic, bigoted BS. I guess that's closer to Youtube commenters. (Not all of them, but a lot).

This is only an opinion mind you. But some of the theories which I believe have possibilities of coming true are the following:

R + L = J

Frey Pie

Red Wedding 2.0

GNC (Grand Northern Conspiracy)

The Robert Strong Theory

Please, I hope it isn’t wishful thinking. Those theories have me convinced down to the bones.

You sure like to play with fire, lurking in these forums full of spoilery threads.

Human's evolved by playing with fire :D

Although there's a difference between Nitpicking and Ignoring the logistics entirely.

I can understand that GRRM doesn't want people counting the miles and days of someone travelling from the Wall to King's Landing for instance. Nitpicking would be quibbling over it taking 12 weeks or could it be done in 8 weeks. But if someone made this journey in an afternoon then I think questions should be asked.

I don't know what kind of times are involved - I've read the 1st 3 books and time is an obscure concept in them. Many major events are covered by one character thinking of them or hearing them, not actually experiencing them in real time. I have not encountered dates in any given chapters, only character ages - all I am sure with time wise is that between AGoT and the end of ACoK at least 2 years passed. There's even a note on chronology at the start of the 3rd book that clarifies chapters can span any length of time and that they are not always sequential.

I see fans have developed spread sheets and the like on ASoIaF chronology - trying to sequence it - though I think their attempts may prove futile, as it seems to me GRRM is more interested in telling the story than sequential or logistical truth.

Even if TWoW is not released soon, we'll know the answer to that theory (if Euron appears in season 5) based on who is cast for him.

I agree with almost all that have been mentioned and would like to throw in another vote for Howland Reed - High Septon.

Like most, I'll have to say that R+L=J is probably the best researched theory on this forum and the one I regard the highest in fandom altogether. My second would probably be "fAegon," and the Grave Digging Hound would be my third. Those three theories are my headcanon until said otherwise!

Fox News occasionally reports facts?

What? ;)

You answered your own question.

Thank you for the laugh, Apple.

Archived