Who are the five most important characters? (Edit: formerly 3)

Archmaester Drew

Apparently Lyanna and Rhaegar, given that almost everything in the series comes from their actions.

Also Dany because dragons. Even if she dies without making any other substantial contribution, she hatched those babies and they will matter a lot.

In reality I don't think we'll know the answer to this question before ADoS.

What do you mean by important? As in who will the heroes of the story? I think that will be Bran and Dany, maybe Jon if he survives.

As in who has been most important to forwarding the story so far? I'd have to say Littlefinger and Varys. Both of them have made plans lasting decades and so far most of the are coming to fruition. Varys greatly influenced robert's rebellion and littlefinger the WotFK. They have had devastating and large impacts on the story.

What do you mean by important? As in who will the heroes of the story? I think that will be Bran and Dany, maybe Jon if he survives.

As in who has been most important to forwarding the story so far? I'd have to say Littlefinger and Varys. Both of them have made plans lasting decades and so far most of the are coming to fruition. Varys greatly influenced robert's rebellion and littlefinger the WotFK. They have had devastating and large impacts on the story.

Important by whatever criteria you feel significant! :)

Agree with Dany, Jon and Bran - they are the three primary Monomyths.

Secondary Monomyths are Arya and Sansa.

Tyrion, I feel, is primarily the political narrator, who occasionally doubles as a mentor.

Other characters either have mentor or plot development roles. For the record, I find the mentors far more engaging characters than the Monomyths and am judging character importance on narrative roles, not personal interest.

Just another vote on Dany, Jon and Tyrion with Bran as the wildcard.

No doubt Bran is going to be very important. I'm reading the Dunk and Egg stories and you definitely get a lot more of who the Bloodraven was, which, at least on its face, casts a very dark light light on what's been going on North of the Wall and what's to come for Bran.

1. Dany

Because GRRM called her along with Arya and Tyrion his favorites and also he basically said so when he called her the most dangerous because of the dragons. Literally everything released outside the main books aside from arms of the kraken and the woiaf is Targaryen-centric, and him writing FIRE AND BLOOD tells me he considers them extremely important.

2. Jon

Possibly the archetypal Hero or even a Classical Achilles hero who will eventually go mad with rage. Plus, prologue was white walkers and he's fighting against them.

3. Bran

Forgot to put him at #1 but I consider him the Hero since he started the whole thing and has the closest real connection to magic than any of the main POVs including Dany

4. Arya

Because GRRM named her a favorite and spent so much time on her than others.

5. Tyrion

Because he's arguably the only "good" Lannister in that he is now bent on fighting the Lannisters. and no matter what daydreams people have about Jaime, the story is about the Targs and the Starks. :P

Archived