Is Varys in AFFC? <Crackpots Welcome>

Victarion Chainbreaker

We're not sure where Varys went after he helped Tyrion escape, but he's a master of disguise. Could he be one of the new characters introduced in AFFC? Could he be masquerading as a known character?

Please give me your best crackpot.

I'll go first. Cercei tells Meryn Trant and Boros Blount to search the secret passageways under the Tower of the Hand. While they're separated, Varys kills the real Boros Blount and assumes his identity. This allows him stay near the King, a first hand observer of the Game.

The proof: Boros Blount's physical appearance changes remarkably during AFFC, but most characters think this is due to his new role as Tommen's food taster. Rather, it's because Varys does not have a warrior's body, and he pretends to be sick to explain the changes in his face.

Well, it's not that crackpot, but I think he could have been one of the Begging Brothers who took the High Sparrow in their shoulders and tore down the doors to the Sept. He probably instigated the shit out of that to get the ball rolling and make sure the High Sparrow got chosen

I think Blount is Blount, same as Meryn Trant is Meryn Trant (and not Syrio). It is an intriguing possibility, though.

My personal theory: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/105056-the-vanishing-guardsmen-in-the-red-keep/?hl=vanishing

As we know, Varys' whereabouts between the end of ASOS and the end of ADWD is unaccounted for, so perhaps the complete and utter disappearance of these two guards is a little hint he was indeed still around King's Landing (with his little birds, despite Cersei thinking she lured all of them into her service by the end of AFFC). Seeing as how Varys was so easily able to infiltrate and neutralise Pycelle and Kevan, it seems the Red Keep is forever more mysterious than we have seen.

I've seen a theory flying round that the new spymaster with the Golden Company bears a lot of similarities with Varys.

We meet this spymaster some time after Varys has disappeared, and then shortly after the Comany lands in Westeros Varys reappears in KL to kill Pycell and Kevan.

No. I think Varys went to Essos.

It's a little too late in the story for it but it would've been great if he'd gone to Braavos and was discovered by Arya, 'looking with her eyes' and seeing through his disguises. It might not be too late for that after all, if she returns to King's Landing.

Crackpot: Varys is the dusky woman. :P Hey, if someone can argue Tywin was, why not? We assume that Varys is a eunuch because that's what he says, and apparently has no boobs since no one's mentioned them. But Varys could be Varysa.

But seriously, I like the idea of Varys being with the Golden Company. Just started re-reading AFFC, will watch for it.

I don't know if Martin ever intended it, but it IS a cool idea for Varys to have been running around KL incognito throughout Feast. I don't think anything in the text is strong enough to support a theory...but I'd LIKE it to be true. Especially something like Blount as a food taster. That would put Varys in a PERFECT position to dispose of Tommen via poison when the time was right.

Its an interesting thought, but Varys avoids notice because the high lords don't pay attention to the "lessor folk" . For example he knew he could not remain as Rugen because he would have been recognized just as Ned recognized him after a moment. It seems like too much of a risk to retain any position that comes in contact with people who knew him as the master of whispers. However I definitely think he has something to do with the High Sparrow, even if he is just feeding info.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the argument for Varys being a begging brother helping the High Septon. There would be more instability, (f)Aegon being set up to be champion of the Faith, and a weakening of the Lannister influence on the Iron Throne.

However, Varys goes out of his way put Cercei back in control, undoing the High Septon's work. How would you account for this?

Archived