The Media and Game of Thrones Theories

The Young Bear

Not to thread derail but anyone else here seriously concerned that the books are going to be totally spoiled by the show very soon? Ain't no way George finishes before HBO does, and how does one avoid spoilers on the Internet and in pop culture for 5 years? I'm seriously thinking of preparing myself to cut ties with my 18 year love affair with aSoIaF. Just won't be the same knowing what happens.

Not to thread derail but anyone else here seriously concerned that the books are going to be totally spoiled by the show very soon? Ain't no way George finishes before HBO does, and how does one avoid spoilers on the Internet and in pop culture for 5 years? I'm seriously thinking of preparing myself to cut ties with my 18 year love affair with aSoIaF. Just won't be the same knowing what happens.

I'm planning to avoid the show starting season 5 for that very reason. I have no idea if I will be successful, but the books mean a great deal more to me than the show does. I'm hoping that while I will certainly get some general spoilers, there won't be anything specific enough to really ruin things for me.

Yup, been thinking about it a lot, but I enjoy the show enough that I don't think I'll be able to stay away.

The books meant a great deal to me when I started reading, but now they're starting to feel... overindulgent to me. ADWD really put a bad taste in my mouth, watching characters I previously enjoyed stumble around making stupid decisions. For me the series peaked with ASOS and it's all felt downhill -- so my expectations for the remainder of the series are down and I don't think I'll feel as invested as I did before.

Yep and what really irritates me is that a lot of people are making this out to be HBO's fault.

This a very real fear for me too. I've invested way too much time in the slow progression of this series to have it spoiled by the inevitable pop-culture deluge of OMGery! when the HBO series overtakes the books.

Yep and what really irritates me is that a lot of people are making this out to be HBO's fault.

It's partially HBO's fault (and I mean the showrunners). They could have tried harder to be closer to the books, that means flashbacks, more dreams etc. and for the next 2 seasons they could have even split the story like in the books, but of course that's a big no no.

That's why I'm prepared to pull a Benjen Stark and disappear when the show starts to overtake the books.

Well it certainly isn't HBO's "'fault" , as such. They don't give two shits about the readers, or about GRRM really, and who can blame them? They are in it for the $$$ However like Corvinus said above the show runners could have taken this into account when planning out the flow of the show, and Martin himself should have known they would finish before he does, thusly tainting his life's great creation. I can't imagine any story teller likes to have someone shout out the ending of his/her story before they themselves finish it, even if that party doing so gave them a trunk of money first. He should have sold them the right to the first three books and taken it from there.

Anyway, it would be nearly impossible to avoid spoilers for the ending of the show, unless one stops going online and stops watching tv. The show has gotten to be too much of a pop culture phenomenon.

I'll watch the show and spoil the books for myself. I'll still read the books though, because they are more detailed and different enough, but I'm not going to wait 10 years before watching a show I've already watched for 4.

Anyway, it would be nearly impossible to avoid spoilers for the ending of the show, unless one stops going online and stops watching tv. The show has gotten to be too much of a pop culture phenomenon.

Currently I am clicking on stuff that says "spoilers from season 5" just to try to get an idea on what they will include in the season, to see if I should risk watching it or not. And I have until late March/early April to decide. Hopefully by then we will get a release date for The Winds of Winter.

But if I decide to stop watching, I should be able to stay away from spoilers. No more yahoo and facebook, and I'll tell anyone I know who watches the show that I do not wish to discuss it with them.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2012/04/5-reasons-game-of-thrones-is-way-better-as-a-tv-show/

I actually found it...

Show vs book

This sites winner may come as a bit of a shock...

Flat characters? What in seven hells? :blink:

Yes.

I am not sure if I am strong enough not to watch it anymore, but I am seriously considering it.

Also, it is everybody's "fault" - both GRRM's and HBO's. And the viewers', because they love it so much that the series always gets greenlighted for another year! ;) GRRM's fault was telling them what happens after the already published books. They should be able to come up with whatever they come up with to finish the series and let GRRM to finish the books as he sees fit.

I am not sure if I am strong enough not to watch it anymore, but I am seriously considering it.

Also, it is everybody's "fault" - both GRRM's and HBO's. And the viewers', because they love it so much that the series always gets greenlighted for another year! ;) GRRM's fault was telling them what happens after the already published books. They should be able to come up with whatever they come up with to finish the series and let GRRM to finish the books as he sees fit.

I don't think it's a problem. Having already read the storylines in the books didn't stop me from enjoying the show, and I doubt having watched the storylines in the show will stop me from enjoying the books. If anything it will probably make it more interesting.

I absolutely LOVE the fact that the show is going to give us the ending in a few years. I started reading the books only a couple of years ago and I have been already impatient for a while to learn more (can't imagine waiting since 1996). GRRM may take 5 or 10 or more years to finish with his own writing pace but now I will get to know the ending in three years.

On top of that, the show and the books storylines are different enough (not to mention the books are far more "richer") that when GRRM finally finishes, it will still be more than worth it to read the books. But since I will know what happens already, he can take 25 more years to give us an ending for all I care.

Obviously if I had a choice between the books and the show at the same time I would choose the books... But between the show in 3 years and the books in a minimum of 5 years and probably more... I'll take the show, hands down, thank you.

Nope. :dunno:

I thought I would risk asking. Tim Lanning is from Cast of Thrones Podcast. They originally covered the book and then the show came out and they do episode discussions as well as re-reads. Tim's favourite tin foil hat theory is the Mermen one.

They have a few podcast episode where they discuss the crazy fan theories. It's a lot of fun.

As for the Show over taking the books.

From news pieces I've seen.

It looks like season 5 will be The Dorne, Iron Isles, And the boat trips across the narrow sea. Bran and Hodor won't be in this next season. Charles Dance says he'll be in the next season. But then we have Tyrion. Who can not possibly have his story on pause. He is clearly the fan fav/draw card.

So parts of ASOS and FFC. And Possible some aDWD.

There is still time for WoW to come out and light my life on fire again. Which I don't think is that far off.

So I guess the main book that will be spoiled if I continue to watch is A Dream of Spring. So I'm giving it another 2 seasons before I make the decision to skip the show. Which would be the final 7th wrap up season...

the ending to the show is not just going to be in spoiler boxes and conversations, it will eventually make its way to all aspects of pop culture if the show continues being as popular as it is now. If say, Dany dies, it will be inevitable that you would find out. Which for me, sadly, would ruin the reading experience to some extent.

Yeah - I think people who say they will avoid spoilers until the books come out are deluding themselves (sorry). I initially thought I was going to be one of that number, but I've atually thought about what that entails and I don't think it's possible, for me at least. GoT references are everywhere and can pop up out of nowhere. It's still jarring to me every single time.

Yeah - I think people who say they will avoid spoilers until the books come out are deluding themselves (sorry). I initially thought I was going to be one of that number, but I've atually thought about what that entails and I don't think it's possible, for me at least. GoT references are everywhere and can pop up out of nowhere. It's still jarring to me every single time.

challenge accepted (well if I actually decide to stop watching :D )

the ending to the show is not just going to be in spoiler boxes and conversations, it will eventually make its way to all aspects of pop culture if the show continues being as popular as it is now. If say, Dany dies, it will be inevitable that you would find out. Which for me, sadly, would ruin the reading experience to some extent.

My only hope now is that the show continues to veer away from the books so maybe the ending will be completely different.

Its hard, I'm not used to my nerdy interests becoming so mainstream.

My only hope now is that the show continues to veer away from the books so maybe the ending will be completely different.

Its hard, I'm not used to my nerdy interests becoming so mainstream.

I sometimes like to entertain the notion that GRRM gave them a fake ending. Pulled the old switcheroo, so to speak. Far more likely, however, is that George changes things to deviate from the show, if he'll even have the drive and interest to continue writing once the entire story is known by the masses.

Archived