What has Bloodraven achieved?

Janicia

yes. Otherwise how did he know bran would be born with these powers? I don't remember him mentioning a bell going off every time a new greenseer is born, He tells Bran he had been watching him since birth, saw his first steps, etc.

Time is a pool in the weirnet, not a river.

prophecies, maybe.

Even if Bloodraven didn't even care that much about the Starks, they are an obvious set of people that he'd watch. They have a weirwood so he has good access to them, they have a lot of political power, and their decisions impact the Wall, which Bloodraven does care about. If his mission involves regularly warging into animals at the Wall and Kings Landing, it presumably also includes warging into animals at Winterfell, where he'd see Bran growing up.

If Bloodraven can tell the future and cares about influencing how it comes to be, why is everything such a mess right now?

prophecies, maybe.

Even if Bloodraven didn't even care that much about the Starks, they are an obvious set of people that he'd watch. They have a weirwood so he has good access to them, they have a lot of political power, and their decisions impact the Wall, which Bloodraven does care about. If his mission involves regularly warging into animals at the Wall and Kings Landing, it presumably also includes warging into animals at Winterfell, where he'd see Bran growing up.

If Bloodraven can tell the future and cares about influencing how it comes to be, why is everything such a mess right now?

1) He literally tells Bran that. I'm not guessing, i'm just paraphrasing because i don't have the text in front of me.

2) Its a mess to you, not to BR (in my opinion). The "mess" you are talking about refers to Westeros in general right? But all BR cares about (again, in my opinion) is The Others. The war of the 5 kings meant little to him, he wants to make sure the correct side wins the War of Ice and Fire. That is what he is trying to influence. Getting all the characters in the right place, with the right knowledge, weapons, motivations, state of mind, whatever.

prophecies, maybe.

IIRC in one of the Dunk & Egg stories there was mention of him being a dreamer. Some of the Targs had the ability to foresee certain things in the future and I think Bloodraven was one of them.

1) He literally tells Bran that. I'm not guessing, i'm just paraphrasing because i don't have the text in front of me.

2) Its a mess to you, not to BR (in my opinion). The "mess" you are talking about refers to Westeros in general right? But all BR cares about (again, in my opinion) is The Others. The war of the 5 kings meant little to him, he wants to make sure the correct side wins the War of Ice and Fire. That is what he is trying to influence. Getting all the characters in the right place, with the right knowledge, weapons, motivations, state of mind, whatever.

This...which is why I think he may have played a role in the Lyanna/Rhaegar elopement.

It would seem he has the ability thru the weirwoods to influence dreams. Yet men are men and who really believes everything they dream. I believe he tries to guide certain events but only so much can be done thru dreams, ravens, trees and wolves. At this point we're still not sure what his motives are.

His accomplishments will come to light in the next two books, never fear.

I really do think he's got his fingers in many pies, as it were.

I assumed a lot of people thought he was watching the Red Keep through the one-eared Tom. Is that a common belief?

That's my feeling too, but then I start floundering. If Bloodraven has a lot of power to influence a bunch of people through their dreams, why is Westeros such a mess right now? Shouldn't Bloodraven have tidily achieved his goals by now? And if this mess was Bloodraven's goal, why has he been carefully keeping Starks alive? You don't need them if all you want is a mess.

If Bloodraven has too much power, all the other characters just become Bloodraven's puppets, which kills the drama of the story. So Bloodraven must have just enough power to nudge some events. And then you wonder - why does Bloodraven care about Stark kids? Why does he care about Sam and Gilly? Has Bloodraven established a direct connection with anybody besides Bran and Jojen? Could Bloodraven's influence explain anything?

Mayhaps Bloodraven has influenced or allowed the chaos :cool4:

It does seem a bit premature to already ask the OP question when the character has really only just been formally introduced and most information we have on him comes from the wiki and the WOIAF app.

True. I was curious what events people thought might be attributed to Bloodraven. For instance, I know Bloodraven didn't cause Tywin's death because we were in Tyrion's head and he had specific non-Bloodraveny reasons for killing Tywin.

But Bloodraven might be in communication with Lady Stoneheart or Howland Reed or some of the northern Lords and might have influenced some of their decisions.

And Bloodraven might have influenced Rhaegar and/or Lyanna's decisions. I know there isn't definite proof; just trying to think about unexplained bits of the story where Bloodraven might have been the influence.

And there is some value to figuring out what he is known / strongly suspected to have done in order to gauge his interests and powers.

I don't think BR has much influence south of WF. He relies on old magic, Weirwiods etc. there's something desperate about him reaching for Bran and he barely got him there in one piece.

He communicated with Bran, John and Theon. He would of been powerless to help Ned, Rob and Cat whether he wanted to or not. I don't think he has any role in LS creation.

As I understand it, his power has been faltering and cannot hold back the 'others' for much longer.

Thinking Bloodraven will play a role in Westeros politics is a bit absurd. What would he gain after all?

I think he was fighting with the others the whole time. He got old, his powers are diminished and now we see the others are gaining power. He summoned Bran, but Bran came late. Winter is already coming.

I still don't know what his motives are, but it indeed makes a bit more sense he tries to stop the others rather than him dabbling with politics. He is a pious figure not a politic figure.

Alas, we don't have enough info to know at this point of the story.

I think your observations about his influences are dead-on. But I think Bloodraven is a flawed character like everyone else. He's more effective at achieving his goals than many other players, but that doesn't mean the current state of affairs exactly matches his plan.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously blood raven has influenced the show but I'm hesitant to just ascribe ever single dream/Vision to him. I think people can have visions without a greenseer implanting them. Greendreams existed way before bloodraven was born. Were the targs warned by blood raven too, who looked back hundreds of years and told them about the doom? Nooo, it's doubtful. I give you that he gave bran and jojen dreams, that's fact. Everything else is just conjecture. People can sleep by weirwoods and just naturally have prophetic dreams. That's why they're weirwoods

And I guess Ned is pretty likely to have confessed the story of Jon's parentage to the weirwood at winterfell. So blood raven is probably working an angle there.

Does varys sound a lot like blood raven or is it just me. All this unnatural knowledge he has. Is he warged by blood raven?

They were both Masters of Whispers, so intel/knowledge is the trade.

Seems like they are working on different side right now. If BR is influencing the outside world in anyone's favor, it's Jon. (The LC election)

Archived