Bran's purpose and narrative

SandorsRedemption

I know there have been a lot of Bran topics already, discussing the likeliness he'll ever rule the North, his similarities to Bran the Builder and the use of his powers as a narrative to reveal previously undisclosed information. This post is different however because I believe that his powers won't be used to show the reader much of anything, I don't think he'll be allknowing untill maybe the very end of ADOS which is also the earliest I see him possibly becoming the King or Warden of the North.

The reason I think this is twofold: one from a storytelling perspective and the other because he seems to have a single very important role to play in the story. People have pointed out that George won't attribute a significant percentage of his pages to Bran simply because he's too all knowing. I don't think he is allknowing though, I consider it more likely that he will spend most of the upcoming two novels mastering his power with a certain purpose in mind that currently only Bloodraven knows. We've red about one scene in which he looks through the weirwood at winterfell but we don't know whether he actually controlled through which tree he was going to look nor did he seem to have much control over the timing of his viewing. (He isn't able to rewind and fast forward).

Although the power that Bran has is awesome but from a reader's perspective it would be awful to have him simply pick a time and place to observe without any effort. George is a master of using narratives to give readers just the right amount of information and will definitely realize this. This means he will either have to create obstacles and limits to Bran's powers or create enough distraction to occupy him so that he can't use his powers to casually check the Tower of Joy, Greywater Watch, the Isles of Faces, Summerhall, Skagos, etc.

I think George will use a combination of both elements. Remember that Bloodraven has been following Bran since before he was born and spent an incredible amount of effort in getting him to him. This by definition means that Bloodraven has a certain task for him which to be of any interest at all will not succeed within a couple of chapters and most likely, due to the problem of a too allknowing narrative, will take the rest of the books to accomplish. (Or Bran will have to die or dissappear as a narrative after accomplishing his task). My prediction is that Bran will need to first of all learn to use his powers (pick places, control the timing) after which he will need to use all his effort to avert some sort of impending doom (most likely something to do with the others).

What do you guys think about both the amount of information that will be disclosed through Bran Chapters and the current state of his powers? Also, what purpose does Bloodraven have in mind for Bran?

Bran might learn a lot and we might learn a lot through him, but I wonder how capable he will become of sharing that information. His witnessing of Ned's prayer that Jon and Robb grow up as brothers all but confirmed R+L=J, but even Bran doesn't get it, so there may be similar reveals ahead.I doubt that he will ever leave his roots again so any lordship is out of the question.

Bloodraven's purpose, like you say, must be pretty great to have sought Bran out for so long. Is it just a matter of finding his own replacementor is there something Bran will do that BR could not?

That's true that we'll get things revealed through Bran regardless of whether he realizes the implications of what he sees or if he's in control of where he looks. I just don't think he'll be able to pick and choose any time soon. I don't see the series ending with him being stuck in that cave forever though. He won't be leaving this winter but once he learns to communicate like BR (through dreams, birds, trees, etc) he can summon someone to carry him back in the Spring. If the tree roots have grown through him by then, I hope he just dies.

Bran might learn a lot and we might learn a lot through him, but I wonder how capable he will become of sharing that information. His witnessing of Ned's prayer that Jon and Robb grow up as brothers all but confirmed R+L=J, but even Bran doesn't get it, so there may be similar reveals ahead.I doubt that he will ever leave his roots again so any lordship is out of the question.

Bloodraven's purpose, like you say, must be pretty great to have sought Bran out for so long. Is it just a matter of finding his own replacementor is there something Bran will do that BR could not?

How does Ned's prayer do anything to confirm R+L=J?

How does Ned's prayer do anything to confirm R+L=J?

What Bran sees: "..But then somehow he was back at Winterfell again, in the godswood looking down upon his father. Lord Eddard seemed much younger this time. His hair was brown, with no hint of grey in it, his head bowed. "...let them grow up as brothers, with only love between them."

Because it says: grow up AS BROTHERS, people tend to think that means they aren't actually (half)brothers. Of course it can also be interpreted as: don't let Jon being a bastard influence their relationship.

Archived