Is the Damphair no longer the Damphair?

Good Guy Garlan

Well, I never thought I would make a thread on the Damphair, but here we are. I was wondering what do you people think of the very last paragraph of his very last chapter so far:

Even a priest may doubt. Even a prophet may know terror. Aeron Damphair reached within himself for his god and discovered only silence. As a thousand voices shouted out his brother’s name, all he could hear was the scream of a rusted iron hinge.

The first times I read this I dismissed it, but now I'm wondering if this means the Damphair lost his faith on the Drowned God for good. When he first converted to the Drowned God religion in full was when he almost drowned during a storm, and now there was a different sort of storm:

The cry swelled, became a roar. “EURON! EURON! CROW’S EYE! EURON KING!” It rolled up Nagga’s hill, like the Storm God rattling the clouds.

I am the storm, my lord. The first storm, and the last.

So it makes sense that he would suffer the reverse transformation during this new "storm".

But what would be the implications of the Damphair losing his faith?

Well, for one, his personality would be vastly improved. Also, he would have fewer qualms about spilling the blood of other Ironborn, which means he could very well try to kill Erik Anvilbreaker and retake Pyke.

Also, yes, I know that the Damphair supposedly said he was going to rise the Isles against the godless Euron (or so his Drowned Men claim) but the truth is that no one has seen him after the kingsmoot, so I wonder if his disappearance is precisely because the next time we see him he'll be a different man

What do you think?

You could be on to something. Could be he's going to displace Euron by making his own claim. If he loses his faith he could end up out-crowing the Crow's Eye.

Yes! Fight, er, fire with fire, I guess.

And I'd like the parallel of the Damphair losing his faith on Drowned God just as Stannis seems to believe more and more in the Lord of Light

I was just re-reading this passage myself. I do think you make an interesting point. Quite clearly Euron is the storm as you say. Even the Damphair agrees

From 'The Prophet'

"I have seen the storm, and its name is Euron Crow's Eye"

From 'The Drowned Man'

"Shouts of "Asha!" and "Victarion!" surged back and forth, and it seemed as though some savage storm was about to engulf them all. The Storm God is amongst us, the priest thought, sowing fury and discord."
(And then Dragonbinder gets blown for the first time immediately after that.)

However, I tend to take the opposite interpretation - that the Kingsmoot will make Aeron even more pious than ever.

Also, as another interesting point, earlier in the same chapter (The Drowned Man)

The Drowned God wakes, thought Aeron. He could hear his voice welling from the depths of the sea. I shall be with you here this day, my strong and faithful servant, the voice said. No godless man will sit my Seastone Chair.

I think this is a nice counter-point to him discovering only silence later. Aeron very much believes the Drowned God will be with him and see the correct King crowned at the Moot.

I think that right at the end of the chapter, he is still trying to convince himself that Euron is a 'godless man' - something the Drowned God seems unwilling to acknowledge.

For half a heartbeat even Aeron was swept away by the boldness of his words.
Even a priest may doubt. Even a prophet may know terror.

The problem is that Aeron is simply unwilling to accept Euron - in spite of himself AND the Drowned God.

The first times I read this I dismissed it, but now I'm wondering if this means the Damphair lost his faith on the Drowned God for good. When he first converted to the Drowned God religion in full was when he almost drowned during a storm, and now there was a different sort of storm:

Also, yes, I know that the Damphair supposedly said he was going to rise the Isles against the godless Euron (or so his Drowned Men claim) but the truth is that no one has seen him after the kingsmoot, so I wonder if his disappearance is precisely because the next time we see him he'll be a different man

He still seems devoted to the Drowned God in AFFC-29 (The Reaver), the last time we have seen him. Aeron tells Victarion,

The Drowned God helps bold men, not those who cower below their decks when the storm is rising. If you will not bestir yourself to remove the Crow's Eye from the Seastone Chair, I must take the task upon myself ...

I have my voice, and the god is with me. Mine is the strength of the sea, a strength the Crow's Eye cannot hope to withstand. The waves may break upon the mountain, yet still they come, wave upon wave, and in the end only pebbles remain where once the mountain stood. And soon even the pebbles are swept away, to be ground beneath the sea for all eternity ...

The ironborn shall be waves. Not the great and lordly, but the simple folk, tillers of the soil and fishers of the sea. The captains and the kings raised Euron up, but the common folk shall tear him down. I shall go to Great Wyk, to Harlaw, to Orkmont, to Pyke itself. In every town and village shall my words be heard. No godless man may sit the Seastone Chair!

I don't think Aeron has lost his faith, but I was definitly shook. Euron was his childhood abuser, the only thing on earth that frightens him. Like a recovered alcolohic might fear being locked in a wine cellar. Euron shakes his faith and his very sense of self thstbhe has built up since being born again. Yet as was said, these very personal reasons go against the IB people and even his God, who either doesn't exist or gavr consent to Euron being crowned.

One interesting thing I just considered is how much Euron is described with the iconography of a storm, and what is at center of a raging destructuve storm?

..an eye. Calm conditions & Silence.

Archived