Night's King and the Storm King

I'm sure it's something that's been remarked on before at some point but the stories of the Night's King and the first Storm King (Durran) stand out to me as being thematically very similar.

The Nights King, so the legend goes, married an Other. The Storm King married Elenei, daughter of the God of the sea. The Others' have some vague connection to the undead or coming back from the dead and throughout the series there are (more vague) connections between the undead and the sea (drowned men, patchface, "dead things in the water" etc.).

The Nights King held court at the Wall - supposedly built by Bran the builder and one of only 2 structures that we know for definite to be protected by magic. The Storm King held court at Storms End - supposedly built by Bran the builder and one of only 2 structures that we know for definite to be protected by magic.

I know there isn't much information to go on - especially with Durran & Elenei - but given the mixing of legend and fact over the thousands of years since the age of heroes is anyone up for the slightly crackpot theory that both legends might have been inspired by the same events and the same people?

I think there are similarities, but I think there are several houses that have intermarried with 'gods.' Just as Craster calls the Others 'gods' and we learn that the Old Gods are greenseeing CotF, I think most of the 'gods' were real creatures, and sometimes they interbred with people.

Starks crossed with the Ice gods (you don't think Brandon the Builder built the Wall with human powers, do you?)

Targaryens crossed with the Fire Gods (babies with scales and wings)

Durrandons crossed with the Air gods (which then got crossed with Fire when the Baratheons married with them)

Flints crossed with the Old Gods (good luck)

Greyjoys crossed with the Water Gods (you'd think so, right?)

Are there any houses that crossed with the god of death? the Boltons?

• 2 weeks later...

I often wondered about their connection. Bran the Builder is said to have built the Wall, Winterfell and helped with Storm's End as a boy. The Kingsroad starts at Storm's End and ends at the Wall with WF right smack dab in the middle of the northern stretch of the road. Mel couldn't get her shadow baby through the walls of Storm's End bc of the magical protection it had. Same thing with Coldhands not being able to pass in the the Cave or through the Black Gate. The simple answer is it's a coincidence, but GRRM doesn't really write coincidences.

I think there are similarities, but I think there are several houses that have intermarried with 'gods.' Just as Craster calls the Others 'gods' and we learn that the Old Gods are greenseeing CotF, I think most of the 'gods' were real creatures, and sometimes they interbred with people.

Starks crossed with the Ice gods (you don't think Brandon the Builder built the Wall with human powers, do you?)

Targaryens crossed with the Fire Gods (babies with scales and wings)

Durrandons crossed with the Air gods (which then got crossed with Fire when the Baratheons married with them)

Flints crossed with the Old Gods (good luck)

Greyjoys crossed with the Water Gods (you'd think so, right?)

Are there any houses that crossed with the god of death? the Boltons?

No.

1. The Starks have shown no powers relating to ice. Ice was probably a sword of an Other, and the Others may have aided in the construction of the Wall, but their powers are all related to warging and the Old Gods. Nobody worships the Others in Winterfell. Also, giants and CotF probably hepled build the Wall, so your point is moot anyways.

2. The Targaryens very occasionally have dragonbabies. This indicates that they may have some draconine genes, not that they mated with R'hllor.

3. The Baratheons have shown exactly zero magical powers so far.

4. The Flints have also shown no magical powers. In fact, they have never even been kings, which is very unlikely if they had magic.

5. The Grey King married a mermaid, but the Greyjoys have also shown no magical powers whatsoever.

And you have not proven that any of these deities exist.

Yeah, that's a bit of pure speculation. Maybe it's the Crabbs and the water gods they crossed with were squishers.

The Crabbs have also been utterly pathetic so far.

The Nights King, so the legend goes, married an Other.

Per Old Nan, the Night's King was a Stark, brother the King in the North and hints that his name was Brandon.

Lots of Brandon's in the Stark line...

Side Note...I read someone's theory that Roose Bolton is a decedent of the offspring from the Night's King & the 'other'...or he is an immortal being...the theory is called 'Bolt-On'.

Here's my answer to that: BtB was the Last Hero. The knowledge he used to build the Wall, Winterfell, and possibly the final version of Storm's End is from the CotF. So no, he didn't do it with "human powers" which don't seem to exist. Humans in this series apparently need magic blood to do anything remotely special. Also, remember that giants helped build the Wall, probably because the CotF said "It's ok, we know this guy, he's on the up and up."

Archived