Vengeance of Birthright?

Torph

First topic on the forums so I do apologise if it lacks the 'quality' of many other threads around, but here goes.

I've noticed that there are a lot of people on the forum with a strong dislking of Daenerys Targaryen and I wanted to pose a question specifically to those people really. Although please feel free to get involved if you have an opinion on the matter.

Now I know that there are many reasons, valid or not, that a person may use to justify their negative view of Dany and this 'debate' is really about just one of those reasons. Some people, not including myself, do not like Dany's obession with capturing the Irone Throne because she feels as though this is her birthright.

My question is, would Dany be more likeable/interesting as a character if her reasons for wanting to conquer Westeros were driven by a lust for vengeance as opposed to the 'I want my throne because it's mine anyway' attitude.

My question is, would Dany be more likeable/interesting as a character if her reasons for wanting to conquer Westeros were driven by a lust for vengeance as opposed to the 'I want my throne because it's mine anyway' attitude.

Likeable? No.

Interesting? No.

If Dany had a lust for vengeance, she would just be a villain. Dany's not a villain.

All I'm saying is I'm going to laugh when Dany is there at the end.

You don't build a character like Dany and then kill them off before any sort of climax. Her story and web is so instilled in the series that I think she almost has plot immunity more than any other until whatever book ends this saga.

Wait isn't that what she already does? Because by Targs' laws she most definitely has no birthright since no woman will ever take IT over any male with Targ blood.

All I'm saying is I'm going to laugh when Dany is there at the end.

You don't build a character like Dany and then kill them off before any sort of climax. Her story and web is so instilled in the series that I think she almost has plot immunity more than any other until whatever book ends this saga.

I think she will die, but it will be to save the realm and she will be the ultimate hero. And a lot of people here will eat crow. I personally don't like her much, but I can't let that blind me to her importance to the series. She is going to be one of the reasons that humanity survives.

Targaryen inheritance is AFAIK semi-Salic.

Not really. What we know is that after Dance the Targs (and most def Aegon III) made the law that stops female from taking the Throne. Since we know "no woman ever" and not "no woman as long as there is a make and if there is no male then the female", it is more like Salic than semiSalic.

Wait isn't that what she already does? Because by Targs' laws she most definitely has no birthright since no woman will ever take IT over any male with Targ blood.

You're absolutely right with regards to the laws of Westerosi succession there. However Dany has repeatedly displayed behaviors in the book to suggest that she feels as though the thrones is hers by birth and not conquest. I don't have the books with me right now but i'll take a look later and find the quotes i'm referring to.

You're absolutely right with regards to the laws of Westerosi succession there. However Dany has repeatedly displayed behaviors in the book to suggest that she feels as though the thrones is hers by birth and not conquest. I don't have the books with me right now but i'll take a look later and find the quotes i'm referring to.

That makes her delusional. The fact that she believes that she somehow has any kind of rights over something that her family has abandoned as she said is wrong. When they abandoned their home they lost the right over it.

She is the Targaryen heir indeed, unless Aegon is really Aegon. Only the time that being a Targ heir gave people a right to the Iron Throne has ended with Robert's Rebellion. However from a Targaryen point of view, i can understand the denial that the Baratheons are legit. In Dany's case she has been hearing her whole life from Viserys that they should be ruling Westeros and has little knowledge to why the rebellion happened. I don't agree with her, but i can understand her point of view. But styling herself as Queen of Westeros, while never having been there and never having done anything for Westeros seems a bit premature.

A desire for vengeance would be understandable as well, knowing most of her family members were killed as a result of the rebellion and she and her brother had to live the life of an exile.

Not really. What we know is that after Dance the Targs (and most def Aegon III) made the law that stops female from taking the Throne. Since we know "no woman ever" and not "no woman as long as there is a make and if there is no male then the female", it is more like Salic than semiSalic.

Salic is no woman, never. Semi-salic is a woman if no male members of the line. "If there is no male than the female" indicates semi-salic.

Salic is no woman, never. Semi-salic is a woman if no male members of the line. "If there is no male than the female" indicates semi-salic.

I know. I believe that the fact that "no female" was mentioned means Salic and not "if no male then female" semiSalic.

Wrong. Female Targaryens are the last to inherit, but they can still inherit. There are no living males recognised as Targaryen that would come before her. Stannis's claim would come through the female line so it's unlikely he'd be above her, and even if he was he is an attainted traitor to the Targaryen dynasty, so she would come before him.

Please stop posting incorrect arguments. It'd save us both a lot of time because I wouldn't have to correct you constantly.

Likeable? No.

Interesting? No.

If Dany had a lust for vengeance, she would just be a villain. Dany's not a villain.

Wanting revenge makes you a villian?Since when?

If you ask me Arya is the most heroic character in this story.

But if Dany was driven by lust for revenge or power she wouldn't be interesting she would be just like her brother.

Archived