What is Howland Reed doing?

Seaworth'sShipmate

Robb sent Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover to Greywater Watch with command to have the Stark banners flying so the Reeds & Co. find them and then we really dont know. Probably still holding the neck against Ironborn and others. Ive read on here that hes made his way to Kings Landing disguised as the new high septon. IMO, hes waiting out to see what happens with the upcoming events at Winterfell before he makes his move. plus he knows the truth if Robb did name Jon as heir plus TOJ events that died with Ned. Cant wait to we finally see him

It is possible... if not probable.... The begging brothers would have to be "in on it" or else he couldn't have risen so far. As far as I know, he isn't old enough to be a wizened old man, unless this is some sort of glimmer magic..

Btw, a "Lizard Lion" is just Westerosi for Crocodile yes?

Whatever it was that Yoda was doing in Dagobah for years.

He's also probably doing a lot of this:

...he could breathe mud and run on leaves, and change earth to water and water to earth with no more than a whispered word. He could talk to trees and weave words and make castles appear and disappear.

Throughout the books, his forces have been off page causing problems for the Ironborn and probably the Boltons. He's probably still fighting a guerrilla war in the North somewhere.

He's probably been in contact with some of the Northern Lords (Mormont and Glover for sure) and maybe LS and BWB as they have been seen disappearing close to the crannogman's territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if we meet him (and a small Northern patchwork force from the Neck) for the first time aiding the likes of Stannis' army against the Boltons. Crackpot, but it would be a great introduction to him.

Well I think we will see Howland but I also think we might not see him after all because it depends on GRRM.What I am trying to say is owlnad is like a great spoiler if he ever walks in then we will learn everything we wanted to know so if GRRM wants to keep the mystery Howland must stay out of the picture and from what I understand (sending Meera and Jojen but not going) he won't be seen.But I think if he doesn't do anything big like a RW2.0 or kill a POV character or somehow give tarks a big army or a magical power etc...I mean he is introduced as this magical monk kind of a guy with some importance and he needs to do something big.

He's lurking in the lower levels of the Winterfell crypts, along with Maege Mormont, Galbart Glover and a picked group of fighters. They entered through the secret backdoor entrance Ned revealed to Howland. (In aGoT, Bran tells us that the crypts are "longer than Winterfell itself." Yeah, there's a backdoor entrance.) They will emerge to help the other northern lords retake Winterfell once Roose weakens himself by sending enough men to fight Stannis. That's why Lady Dustin paid a visit to the crypts. The whole point of the exercise was to make sure the crypt door was dug out.

He's lurking in the lower levels of the Winterfell crypts, along with Maege Mormont, Galbart Glover and a picked group of fighters. They entered through the secret backdoor entrance Ned revealed to Howland. (In aGoT, Bran tells us that the crypts are "longer than Winterfell itself." Yeah, there's a backdoor entrance.) They will emerge to help the other northern lords retake Winterfell once Roose weakens himself by sending enough men to fight Stannis. That's why Lady Dustin paid a visit to the crypts. The whole point of the exercise was to make sure the crypt door was dug out.

That would be nice!!

Personally I like the idea of him being the high septon but not really convinced it true.

Interesting idea about lady dustin opening the doorway to the crypts to let someone in wether its Howland or not.

Throughout the books, his forces have been off page causing problems for the Ironborn and probably the Boltons. He's probably still fighting a guerrilla war in the North somewhere.

He's probably been in contact with some of the Northern Lords (Mormont and Glover for sure) and maybe LS and BWB as they have been seen disappearing close to the crannogman's territory.

I wouldn't be surprised if we meet him (and a small Northern patchwork force from the Neck) for the first time aiding the likes of Stannis' army against the Boltons. Crackpot, but it would be a great introduction to him.

As much as I love me some HS=HR, I also like this type of theory. Whatever he's doing may well be off-page, but I certainly think he'll be doing something - hopefully GNC related. ;)

Well I think we will see Howland but I also think we might not see him after all because it depends on GRRM.What I am trying to say is owlnad is like a great spoiler if he ever walks in then we will learn everything we wanted to know so if GRRM wants to keep the mystery Howland must stay out of the picture and from what I understand (sending Meera and Jojen but not going) he won't be seen.But I think if he doesn't do anything big like a RW2.0 or kill a POV character or somehow give tarks a big army or a magical power etc...I mean he is introduced as this magical monk kind of a guy with some importance and he needs to do something big.

:agree:

It's a shame GRRM has said there'll be no new PoVs in TWOW, because I was really hoping for a chapter entitled "Howland".

Bran already knows a secret (or not much known) entrance to Winterfell, it was said in the chapter where he was climbing. It would be nice if HR with help of Bran via weirwood.net retakes the castle.

This is a common misconception, it is not a secret passage into Winterfell, its a passage from 1 side of the Castle to the other.

Archived