Why do the dire wolves hate Tyrion

mee aar dun wee wee

I've just started re reading "agot" and in the 4th bran chapter tyrion calls in to winterfell on his way back from the wall to give bran the plans for his custom saddle. when the dire wolves enter the hall they immediately attack tyrion before being called off. just looking for any thoughts on the significance of this in the grand scheme of things, as it seemed strange that they'd attack Tyrion but not someone like theon who is also in the hall

Eta just read the last Jon chapter in agot and noticed that ghost seems to be working at getting Jon caught not helping him do what he wants which is desert and avenge his father.

the Starks have a bond with the wolves and at that time the Lannisters were suspected of pushing Bran and sending a man to kill him in his sleep. so with Tyrion being present shorty after the attack, their is no love for Lannisters and Robb with others believe he was apart of it on the count hes a Lannister.

the Starks have a bond with the wolves and at that time the Lannisters were suspected of pushing Bran and sending a man to kill him in his sleep. so with Tyrion being present shorty after the attack, their is no love for Lannisters and Robb with others believe he was apart of it on the count hes a Lannister.

. Yet ghost was friendly with Tyrion when Tyrion says goodbye to Jon at the wall so i think the quote about feeling The Starks anger or those of them that were in winterfell at the time is spot on :)

. Yet ghost was friendly with Tyrion when Tyrion says goodbye to Jon at the wall so i think the quote about feeling The Starks anger or those of them that were in winterfell at the time is spot on :)

Ghost knocked Tyrion down when Jon an Tyrion were talking when they were on their journey to the wall because Jon was angry at what Tyrion was telling him. but Jon an Tyrion became friends on the wall so Ghost became friendlier towards him.

"The boy stopped at the door, wide eyed, but the wolves came on. Their eyes found lannister, or perhaps they caught his scent. Summer began to growl first. Grey wind picked it up. They padded toward the little man, one from the right and one from the left."

These quotes again seem strange to me. Robb is the one with the problem with tyrion but grey wind seems to pick up the agression from summer (after tyrion had made brans day with the saddle and talk of being able to ride). So are these dire wolves linked to.each of their owners or just the Starks in general and do they have some supernatural insight or are they just feeding off their masters mood? If anyone can point me to a thread on the dire wolves it would be much appreciated.

My alternative take on the direwolves attacking Tyrion is that they did so to delay his departure from Winterfell, which could've prevented Tyrion from showing up at the Inn of the Crossroads at the same time as Cat.

Any chance of this thread becoming a full blown direwolves reread thread or some one starting such a thread? I just have a feeling that the actions of the direwolves are more complicated than them merely attacking those who threaten the Starks.

My alternative take on the direwolves attacking Tyrion is that they did so to delay his departure from Winterfell, which could've prevented Tyrion from showing up at the Inn of the Crossroads at the same time as Cat.

Any chance of this thread becoming a full blown direwolves reread thread or some one starting such a thread? I just have a feeling that the actions of the direwolves are more complicated than them merely attacking those who threaten the Starks.

Oooh... I've been pondering the possibility of a Ghost re-read, but I would sign up for an all-direwolves re-read, too! It would be an ambitious project though, which might be done best in cooperation perhaps.

Oh man. I'm doing a re-read with a couple of friends through the whole series at the moment and we JUST discussed this very thing in our podcast. We had several thoughts:

1. That the direwolves feed off of their masters feelings/are in sync with them, but not SO in sync that they have adjusted to both Robb and Bran's shift to warming (slightly) to Tyrion. There is still some delay.

2. That even though Bran and Robb are behaving nicely and may even suspect Tyrion/Lannisters a little less now, even deeper, in a place the Wolves can feel, there is still massive distrust/fear/hatred for all things Lannister at the moment and they pick up on it.

3. That the direwolves are feeding directly off of Rickon, rather than of their own masters. He is the only one that was not in the room when Tyrion was nice to Bran, and doesn't know about the shift in feelings, however small it might be. That the wildness of rickon is driving the behavior. Then again, Rickon is so young and hasn't been involved. He may not have the innate distrust of the lannisters regardless.

4. Trust the wolves! They know shit and have good instincts. Tyrion is a bad dude despite anything we as readers might think so far. (Nobody really liked this theory).

5. Lastly, and very speculatively, the Wolves are in sync with eachother, know that Cersei is Tyrion's brother, and know that Cersei is repsonsbile for Lady's demise, and are coming for some payback to the Lannister bloodline.

Thoughts?

This is one of the biggest questions I had when starting my re-read. I would like to know more about the direwolves and their nature. The only true glimpses we get into their thought process is when it is mingled with that of their human counter parts. Thinking back on the wolf dream bran has of jojen and meera first coming upon the wolves, they snarl and show teeth to them before being quieted either by jojens lack of fear, or brans contribution upon recognizing them. If bran had not been so deeply connected to summer at that point, would they have still approached jojen and meera with some hostility?

I'm trying to recall if there are times when the starks depend on the wolves to find out someones true nature. It seems the way they approach tyrion in that chapter is unsolicited by the starks, despite the growing tensions coming from robb. Could the wolves sense something threatening in tyrion? either his character or some unknown force that in itself is threatening to a direwolf? I wonder how the wolves would react to dany.

I agree with Lyanna <3 Rhaegar. Although the dire wolves and their actions might not be something we can take at face value. we know the Starks have a strong bond with their wolves, so i believe they were feeling similar emotions to Robb and everyone in the room. Tyrion was the object of Robb's animosity and Greywind saw him as a threat because of Robb's emotions towards Tyrion. when Tyrion is with Jon and not the object of Stark suspicion/hatred, Ghost had no reason to see him as a threat so he did not attack Tyrion. I do not think that direwolves do not specifically dislike Tyrion, but rather would react in a similar fashion in a similar situation.

I also like the idea of a dire wolf reread and would be interested in the thread. Understanding their perspective could yield key insight to events we have only seen through human eyes. These creatures are hyper perceptive and can pick up on nuances that go unnoticed to humans. They seem to be able to sense events before they happen and are capable of mimicking the emotions of their close companion (i.e. whichever Stark raised them). They also have their own culture between themselves as is made clear when Summer and Shaggydog interact. They can also sense each other's presence. Since most if not all of the Starks are wargs, do you think this helps explain the ability of one warg to sense another? Thoughts.

I agree with Lyanna <3 Rhaegar. Although the dire wolves and their actions might not be something we can take at face value. we know the Starks have a strong bond with their wolves, so i believe they were feeling similar emotions to Robb and everyone in the room. Tyrion was the object of Robb's animosity and Greywind saw him as a threat because of Robb's emotions towards Tyrion. when Tyrion is with Jon and not the object of Stark suspicion/hatred, Ghost had no reason to see him as a threat so he did not attack Tyrion. I do not think that direwolves do not specifically dislike Tyrion, but rather would react in a similar fashion in a similar situation.

The problem with this theory is that everyone n the room had cooled on their animosity, and at the moment the wolves entered were expressing nothing but gratitude, and maybe a little confusion about why Tyrion was trying to help them...but they definitely were not expressing aggression.

Archived