Shipping Arya and Gendry : Creepy or Not?

Hos the Hostage

Its amazing that we find the fact a 10 years old girl is attracted to a 15 years old boy more disturbing than the fact that she becomes a professional assassin and kills people coldly and without hesitation.

I don't think they do.

Raff was more of an age gap and unlike Gendry they actually got physical. There was no open to interpretation about that. He was possibly 30 years old. There were more complaints about her killing him than his age or the fact that he was attracted to her and that she touched him.

ETA: & some people cared more about the play than possible child molestation because they thought she was being psychopathic and didn't care about her sister.even though she was never actually raped.

There are probably more threads on her as a killer than there are on Arya and Gendry.

Not creepy. Weird puppy love. Unexplained connection. They will meet again. Some of you act like people enter fully formed into their sexuality on their day they turn 18. Don't be naive. That said, I always felt like to GRRM the timeline since Bob'sRebellion worked for parts of the plot & not others. Arya may be a killer but a 10 year old is never scary. & a 15 year old Robb as king & general was always a bit ridiculous to me, even if these were medieval times.

*Not nearly as creepy as 19 year old werewolf guy falling in romantic love w/ newborn baby girl Renesthsmegma or whatever in that dumb Twilight story.

Not creepy. Weird puppy love. Unexplained connection. They will meet again. Some of you act like people enter fully formed into their sexuality on their day they turn 18. Don't be naive. That said, I always felt like to GRRM the timeline since Bob'sRebellion worked for parts of the plot & not others. Arya may be a killer but a 10 year old is never scary. & a 15 year old Robb as king & general was always a bit ridiculous to me, even if these were medieval times.

*Not nearly as creepy as 19 year old werewolf guy falling in romantic love w/ newborn baby girl Renesthsmegma or whatever in that dumb Twilight story.

It's not romantic love, it's imprinting and there's a difference! :rolleyes: *end sarcasm* ;)

Its amazing that we find the fact a 10 years old girl is attracted to a 15 years old boy more disturbing than the fact that she becomes a professional assassin and kills people coldly and without hesitation.

The way our modern western society accepts violence so easily while having so many taboos about sex is a bit twisted

Don't change the subject. And please stay away from 10-year old girls. And don't murder anyone either, please.

It's not creepy. What do they really do in the books anyway? Not in fans' minds, in the books? Nothing much, as Pod said, they don't even seem to notice that there is anything there. A connection between kids of their age is rather commonplace, even.

What is really creepy is fans trying to make a long past non-romantic connection into some form of destined love lasting for life that totally will parallel and correct what could have been in the previous generation (yikes)

Same as others think. From Arya's POV its an obvious burgeoning crush that isn't very serious because of her age and mental state and from Gendry's POV its a familial/little sister affection that isn't creepy unless you're on tumblr watching "you'll be m'lady" gifs from the show and whistleblowing.

I think the puppy love comment is right on target. Prepubescent children aren't totally asexual. They can have crushes, and some desire akin to spending time with the other child they like. Heck, they even may have fantasies (including even sexual ones). Even toddlers (girls or boys) can discover that rubbing themselves gives a sense of pleasure. It's natural, part of the development, and innocent. But it's wrong when adults take advantage of these innocent forms of affection and self-experimentation. Because of the latter, prepubescent children feeling some form of innocent attraction and even a form of sexuality is taboo and basically rejected as gross, especially in girls. It's easier to deny children having any sexual feelings at all, than to recognize its existence and still regard it as different from lust. But there is nothing gross about these feelings at all in children, nor toddlers. Nothing pervy about children playing doctor or nurse. It's just gross for adults to think it compares to hormonal lust.

I think the puppy love comment is right on target. Prepubescent children aren't totally asexual. They can have crushes, and some desire akin to spending time with the other child they like. Heck, they even may have fantasies (including even sexual ones). Even toddlers (girls or boys) can discover that rubbing themselves gives a sense of pleasure. It's natural, part of the development, and innocent. But it's wrong when adults take advantage of these innocent forms of affection and self-experimentation. Because of the latter, prepubescent children feeling some form of innocent attraction and even a form of sexuality is taboo and basically rejected as gross, especially in girls. It's easier to deny children having any sexual feelings at all, than to recognize its existence and still regard it as different from lust. But there is nothing gross about these feelings at all in children, nor toddlers. Nothing pervy about children playing doctor or nurse. It's just gross for adults to think it compares to hormonal lust.

IA that children aren't totally asexual but I don't think Arya has done anything yet to eliminate or cross the line of asexual.

Being attracted to someone, having a crush, and being romantic are all things asexuals are capable of. They just don't feel desire.

Arya may have been attracted to Gendry when she noticed his chest but she never desired him nor anyone else. There is no desire to touch him or be with him physically. There's only evidence of physical attraction towards males and females. Children are capable of wanting to touch, hold hands, or kiss.

SR is younger than her but likes kissing Sansa, Lysa was younger than Arya in AGoT but liked the kissing games with LF, Asha was experimenting (kissing) and was curious before she went into puberty. Sansa was the age Arya is now when she fantasized about Sandor and she might have been 11 when she fantasized about Loras. When those girls talked about sex she thought back to Sandor. When Arya hears about Brea letting a boy touch her she has no thought about any boy in Braavos or Gendry. It's just another fact. At no point does she want to kiss him.

ETA: So basically I don't think she's too young to show desire had she been her age IRL and in the books she's not too young either as he's shown children younger than her have desire.

Her interest seems to be:

using a man's desire for sex as a tool to murder only but while physical attraction was there sexual attraction wasn't. She was clinical.

Not everyone expresses sexuality the same way, particularly at Arya's age. I don't see any reason to assume she's asexual until proven otherwise. There are lots of hints in the way she interacts with Gendry that there's something different between them than there is with the others.

Not everyone expresses sexuality the same way, particularly at Arya's age. I don't see any reason to assume she's asexual until proven otherwise. There are lots of hints in the way she interacts with Gendry that there's something different between them than there is with the others.

That doesn't mean there's sexuality there when there are no examples of her desiring anyone. It's not even expression the desire is not there.

There can be something different between them but the relationship is asexual. Like I said asexuals can have crushes. They can even be in relationships. Nothing about her behavior towards Gendry crossed the line into sexual territory.

I'm not saying she is one for sure but her behavior so far is like that of one.

That's what you are seeing. Some of us are seeing something else.

Then post textual examples of sexual attraction and not physical attraction.

Also, how come she doesn't desire any of the males while she is in Braavos? She likes many of them. Is surrounded by them and yet there's nothing? Gendry is not on her mind. They were not in a relationship so he's not the reason why.

We are so far apart on this. I'm not even seeing the discussion in the same terms. I could present to you what I see in the writing, which are many things he didn't need to show if he was telling the story that she's asexual, and we'd go back and forth all day.

But that's a point to consider, why does he add certain moments in the story, it's not so readers can explain them away, he's got a very long, detailed story to tell, if something is not necessary, he's going to cut it. So all of these moments matter.

Then post textual examples of sexual attraction and not physical attraction.

Also, how come she doesn't desire any of the males while she is in Braavos? She likes many of them. Is surrounded by them and yet there's nothing? Gendry is not on her mind. They were not in a relationship so he's not the reason why.

She acts jealous when Gendry elects to spend some time with that pretty girl in the whorehouse. If her feelings were completely platonic, why would she care?

We are so far apart on this. I'm not even seeing the discussion in the same terms. I could present to you what I see in the writing, which are many things he didn't need to show if he was telling the story that she's asexual, and we'd go back and forth all day.

But that's a point to consider, why does he add certain moments in the story, it's not so readers can explain them away, he's got a very long, detailed story to tell, if something is not necessary, he's going to cut it. So all of these moments matter.

I said post examples if you see differently.

I didn't say that she is asexual but that her behavior so far is like that of one. It could change or stay the same. He hasn't added it yet for her story. That could be intentional.

She acts jealous when Gendry elects to spend some time with that pretty girl in the whorehouse. If her feelings were completely platonic, why would she care?

That's not an example of sexual attraction.

Archived