Why is Ramsey Snow a character?

LastCitizenOfGhis

He's an excellent villain. Worse than Joff and ten times as deadly. You think Joff is bad but then you meet Ramsey who is just so much more.... Refined. The relationship between him and Theon is the only way tto get a good insight as to who Ramsey is and what makes him tick. Not just the physical torture, the mental torture and degradation. Having a POV character such as Theon interactt with Ramsey puts the reader uncomfortably close to one of the most depraved, cunning and ruthless characters in all of Westeros. All should fear him for there are few others who can match him for cruelty.

He's probably one of the most fascinating (admittedly morbid) characters.

I don't think Ramsey is as scary from afar. Theon was a due some comeuppance for his naivety and betrayal (imo). I cannot think of a good reason to keep these two apart or not to involve them and their relationship, heavily in the story.

What do you mean they're not relevant? They affect pretty much every other character storyline, from Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre, to Asha and Euron, to Jon and Sansa. They're the catalyst for a lot of events

That said, Ramsay is a lazy, one-dimensional villain that thrives in shock value, but Theon's awesomeness makes up for it

What do you mean they're not relevant? They affect pretty much every other character storyline, from Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre, to Asha and Euron, to Jon and Sansa. They're the catalyst for a lot of events

That said, Ramsay is a lazy, one-dimensional villain that thrives in shock value, but Theon's awesomeness makes up for it

I don't know about that. His main drive is rather lazy on the surface, but he has done some pretty subtle moves that make him seem more than a slobbering insane bastard. Also his need to prove himself as a Bolton while also being so deranged he doesn't understand the difference between the society of 6000 years ago and society now is really interesting. Especially since it brings up the question of whether the Bolton's have ever changed, or if this new crop are bringing about the "old way."

The plan to use the Mill kids in place of the Starks was brilliant.

Because he exists on page, so GRRM must feel his development is needed for the story to progress. In a story where there is a character who commits infanticide, genocide, and mimicking the plot of Soylent Green we should probably realize that the spotlight can't always hold Clegane in it.

Yeah, Ok, Theon is important and so is Ramsey because of that.

Just I feel the detail is unnecessary (we don't see any of Clegane's victims become a POV for example); and at times reads like the script from a Hollywood gore movie. I think it ruins a little the perfect balance GRRM has struck between the vicious violence of the Medieval world and the fairytale way most fantasy is written.

I feel the plot could have been better told through some Roose POV's, who is considerably less one dimensional than Ramsey.

Because he exists on page and GRRM must feel he is vital

Well yeah, and GRRM can write about what he likes, but an answer like that defeats the point of this forum

Just I feel the detail is unnecessary (we don't see any of Clegane's victims become a POV for example); and at times reads like the script from a Hollywood gore movie. I think it ruins a little the perfect balance GRRM has struck between the vicious violence of the Medieval world and the fairytale way most fantasy is written.

I feel the plot could have been better told through some Roose POV's, who is considerably less one dimensional than Ramsey.

Well yeah, and GRRM can write about what he likes, but an answer like that defeats the point of this forum

except that theon was a POV character before he became ramsay's victim. and he is a POV character because he is important and his arc is compelling, the torture is a part of that.

also the story isn't told through ramsay's POV, it's told through theon, who is very far from one dimensional (in fact, i've seen even people who hate him as a character say he's one of the most complex characters in those books) and Ramsay isn't one dimensional either. he has personality disorders, he romanticizes things he doesn't like (just like theon), he lies to himself (just like theon) he craves attension from his father (just like theon), he is obsessed with hating his status and uses his joy of hurting people to hunt low born girls as a way to feel more powerful and feel like he rises above his status. his relationship with both Heke and Theon are pretty damn deep as well if you ask me. it's all about getting the attension he wants (but doesn't get from his father) and not being able to live without it anymore, but ramsay only realises that when it's gone.

Which is why it's not the full answer. Continue to read my post and it comes out pretty much like everyone elses but with a difference. GRRM probably has not revealed the exact importance Ramsay will play by the end of his story arc. For now, he is the one that sacked Winterfell and played one of the deathblows to house Stark. Seeing him from afar does not make him a compelling antagonist.

A Roose Bolton POV rather than Theon?? Thank god you aren't writing these books. That's like giving a POV to Littlefinger instead of Jaime

Theon's transformation into Reek and then into Theon 2.0 is regarded by many readers as one of the most compelling character arcs in the series. It doesn't need a "point," it stands just fine on its own.

You also seem to be saying that we should never get the POV of a victim, which is strange

Archived