Is the NFL a religion?

BormonReborn

I know some of you may laugh... but seriously. Has this nations love of the sport elevated it to a religion?

Currently its mainly a United States thing, but the NFL has been trying to expand world wide.

Think about it? We have an organization that have 10's of millions of followers (if not more) that idolize the game.

Many Americans plan at least part of their lives around watching this activity. During Football season, Sundays become a holy day. It becomes part of our daily conversations.

There are church leaders (The owners and Commissioner)

Our youth go through extensive training to become part of the idolized game.

Much like church leaders, we hold these lucky few who are involved in the game to a higher standard.

We enshrine those who have reached the highest level of the game and idolize them.

It even had recognized holidays! Hall of Fame induction, The NFL Draft, (and the biggie) Super Bowl Sunday (Which is already almost a national holiday)

I am sure there are more comparisons to be made.

It's not a religion, it's merely the most readily available outlet for our most violent, primitive, tribal impulses. Social progress has closed off a lot of the other avenues for these urges, so the NFL becomes a catch-all. And don't think they don't capitalize on it -- with the wink and nod at crushing hits, celebration of guys who play hurt, and constant military tie-ins.

But hey, in a couple of weeks they'll all be wearing pink shoes to show us how much they care about women's health, so it's all good.

It's not a religion, it's merely the most readily available outlet for our most violent, primitive, tribal impulses. Social progress has closed off a lot of the other avenues for these urges, so the NFL becomes a catch-all. And don't think they don't capitalize on it -- with the wink and nod at crushing hits, celebration of guys who play hurt, and constant military tie-ins.

But hey, in a couple of weeks they'll all be wearing pink shoes to show us how much they care about women's health, so it's all good.

I disagree. Not that I don't believe the sport is violent (it is), but the game at the professional level is more about precision execution than brutality. It is a physical game.. And the modern game requires monk like dedication to the task.

And the modern game requires monk like dedication to the task.

If monk-like means having groupies, being involved in rock-star like parties, beating your wifes and kids, and possibly getting tangled in murders, then yes.

High dedication to a job is not an exception. Many professionals at the top of their respective fields do it. One might even argue that given their pay, having a laser-focus to their job is the least they can fucking do.

Football (FIFA) definitely is, so why not NFL as well.

Again, John Oliver is here to tell it like it is. :-)

[soccer] is an organized religion. And FIFA is its church. Just think about it: Its leader is infallible, it compels South American countries to spend money they don’t have building opulent cathedrals, and it may ultimately be responsible for the deaths of shocking numbers of people in the Middle East. But — but — but — but for millions of people, around the world like me, it is also the guardian of the only thing that gives their lives any meaning. And if that comparison does not make Americans love soccer then, frankly, nothing will.

Archived