Video Games: Join us... It is your Destiny

Rhom

Are all 3 DLC's out now? How are they?

Third one gets released tomorrow. The two out so far have EXCELLENT level design with great vertical design. Much better use than the vanilla DS2. Out of the 6 bosses I really liked 4 of them (though one is WAY too easy in NG and almost impossible in NG++), one is a repeat of Smelter Demon, and one is just 3 super tough NPC's and pretty much impossible w/out help. I'm playing through a new INT spellsword to get there and play through it w/ two different characters and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Overall I'll get about 20 hours out of it and while not as great of a value as the Artorias DLC, it was still worth it.

Got a Hand Canon as a drop on Destiny. My Titan plays as almost an entirely different character now.

I'm eager to try it out in PVP. The burst damage compared to my auto/scout rifles is significantly different. That seems like it would be a big help in the Crucible.

Are you talking about console or PC?

On PC it's an expansion pack. You pay for the upgrade.

On Console, well they don't really do expansion packs that way, but it's the same price as buying the expansion pack anyway so the distinction is irrelevant.

Console.

The problem I have with it is that if you never bought the original it's still $30 for the entire game on consoles. So for those who already bought D3 it's $80-90 total, and for those that didn't buy it only have to pay $30. This will probably be the last Blizzard game I buy for a while because of it.

Console.

The problem I have with it is that if you never bought the original it's still $30 for the entire game on consoles. So for those who already bought D3 it's $80-90 total, and for those that didn't buy it only have to pay $30. This will probably be the last Blizzard game I buy for a while because of it.

Hrmmm... now that I think of it, DA: Awakenings was the only "X Pack" that I bought for the PS3 and it did require the full DA:O to play. I guess I can see your frustration there. However, in the end doesn't that kind of boil down to "Its not fair! They get something for free!"?

Console.

I don't see the problem. You are mad someone else is getting the game you want for less, a year or two after the fact?

Like, stuff drops in price after awhile. This is nothing new. If I never bought D3 on PC when it came out, I can get both D3 and RoS for almost that price too. Fuck, I can pick up a game you paid $60 for a few years ago for $5. This isn't a slap in the face, this is software get cheaper as it becomes older.

Looks like the steam page finally got a much needed overhaul. I haven't used it much yet, but I like the look of it. The "curator" thing is also a neat idea, with Valve obviously still reluctant to try to curate the mass of content themselves. I'll certainly follow TotalBiscuit, who is of course the most popular one right now, but not sure beyond that. There is certainly stuff I'm interested in that doesn't really fall into TB's repertoire.

ETA: I still want a "hide all early access" button but whatever. I never expect to get that. ETA2: Oh wait, you CAN filter early access from some of the content streams. Yeah, this is a great update!

Angry Joe review of Destiny. Seems for him at least there's a lot not to like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzopWRXK_r4

His rants are entertaining, even if you think he's wrong, but still 34 minutes seems a bit excessive. He does say the core gunplay is great, which is actually a pretty significant positive, but not enough to redeem the game as a whole.

I'm guessing there will be a zero punctuation review of Destiny at some point. I'm also guessing he'll crap all over it.

Angry Joe review of Destiny. Seems for him at least there's a lot not to like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzopWRXK_r4

His rants are entertaining, even if you think he's wrong, but still 34 minutes seems a bit excessive. He does say the core gunplay is great, which is actually a pretty significant positive, but not enough to redeem the game as a whole.

It's a fair review. I don't really agree with the 6/10, but he does have a lot of valid criticisms. That it is very sound mechanically, and just a lot of fun in general, makes up for a lot of its misteps. For me at least. But from here I think it's going to depend on how Bungie responds to the complaints and fixes its problems. And how well they support it with both paid and free content updates.

I'm guessing there will be a zero punctuation review of Destiny at some point. I'm also guessing he'll crap all over it.

Yeah, but craps all over everything. It's his shtick. I am looking forward to seeing it.

I just picked up Shadowrun Dragonfall the Director's cut. I am so impressed with the new Shadowrun games right now. They are incredibly well written and immersive stories. I love this franchise.

If you like them get Wasteland 2. Way less linear, and much larger.

I don't see the problem. You are mad someone else is getting the game you want for less, a year or two after the fact?

Like, stuff drops in price after awhile. This is nothing new. If I never bought D3 on PC when it came out, I can get both D3 and RoS for almost that price too. Fuck, I can pick up a game you paid $60 for a few years ago for $5. This isn't a slap in the face, this is software get cheaper as it becomes older.

No, I'm not mad that some else is getting the game I want for less. What I'm mad about is that I've already bought D3 and I need to purchase the entire thing again in order to get the DLC. Nobody does that.

This shouldn't be hard to understand.

Hrmmm... now that I think of it, DA: Awakenings was the only "X Pack" that I bought for the PS3 and it did require the full DA:O to play. I guess I can see your frustration there. However, in the end doesn't that kind of boil down to "Its not fair! They get something for free!"?

They aren't getting it for free, they're paying $30 and it's a good deal. However it's a terrible deal for anyone who has already purchased the game since they would have to purchase the game twice. I've never played a game that required that and won't support companies that do.

I finally reached lv.21 in Destiny, getting those light drops is hard. I've heard though that the first light level can be the toughest, since the drops don't start getting more regular until the lv.22 content, but at lv.20 that's stuff's still really hard. I'll see for sure soon enough. I've tried the Crucible a bit too, but I just don't find it fun; and I don't see the point in playing if its not fun, even if, supposedly, its the best way to gear up.

I found the transition from 20-24 to be pretty smooth. I just played Strikes and the gear kept getting progressively better. Started on lvl 20 Strikes, then moved up to 22 when I got there naturally. I've seen more people complaining about getting past 24, since then you have to start getting Legendary gear. Haven't gotten any Legendary equipment from the lvl 24 Strikes. Seems to be only available by buying them or getting lucky on an Engram.

Queen's Wrath Bounties opened today. Word is that Legendaries are dropping like candy. But they're level 24 missions. Looks like it's mostly just a push to get everyone geared up for the VoG.

They aren't getting it for free, they're paying $30 and it's a good deal. However it's a terrible deal for anyone who has already purchased the game since they would have to purchase the game twice. I've never played a game that required that and won't support companies that do.

Before release there was an upgrade option. It was $40 for just the expansion and $60 for the combo. Now I'm only seeing the UEE for $40. Looks like they just decided to toss in the base game for free. PS4 version is still the full $60.

Before release there was an upgrade option. It was $40 for just the expansion and $60 for the combo. Now I'm only seeing the UEE for $40. Looks like they just decided to toss in the base game for free. PS4 version is still the full $60.

PS4 didn't release the vanilla D3, so it's a new game w/ no 'upgrades' so to speak. I never saw anything about an expansion only option for PS3. There was on PC, but it doesn't really matter. How it stands now you need to re-buy the game in order to get the DLC, which is a bad business model IMO.

No, I'm not mad that some else is getting the game I want for less. What I'm mad about is that I've already bought D3 and I need to purchase the entire thing again in order to get the DLC. Nobody does that.

This shouldn't be hard to understand.

It is though because they aren't charging you for throwing Vanilla D3 at you again. They are charging you standard price for an expansion pack. That's why the complaint makes no sense.

You say "nobody does that" but that's only true in that most of the time the base game is NOT included in the expansion pack. So they are doing you one better technically.

Hasn't that been Blizzard's model for WoW as well? It is especially irksome if you pay subscription fees, but developers need to make money to justify making the expansion. At least it is not EA's model of expansion packs.

You been base game in the expansion pack? No, that's pretty rare. Generally you gotta wait for the battle chest or equivalent for that, which is years after the game has come out. WoW only very recently started doing that kind of thing. Even as early as like Cataclysm launch or something like that you had to buy the base game and all the expansions more or less individually.

Blizzard is still running the same expansion pack model they've been running for almost 2 decades. It's the way expansion packs work and still do as far as I've ever seen.

Huh. Titan is cancelled. Not a great move, but as we've not seen anything for it not really that horrible.

Apparently they're wanting to go in a non-MMO direction with their next title. Given the trend of fewer gamers participating in the MMO subscription model, maybe not so bad a move after all. I would guess that the massive success of Hearthstone also helped fuel this decision.

Too bad we may never know exactly what Titan was, though. Definitely one for the vaporware hall of fame.

Archived