Video Games: Join us... It is your Destiny

Rhom

Wasteland 2:

Fighting the Red Skorpions in the farm outside the prison (I haven't even got inside it yet) and so far I've cut down a dozen foremen and they just keep coming. I ran out of explosives to deal area damage and if I hadn't huddled on top of a vantage point, I would have died in the first few moments of the battle.

Might reload, as I think you can roleplay your way through the situation rather than just immediately have to resort to violence.

Perhaps a silly question about Destiny that I've not really contemplated. Are all the maps the same instance? For example, if I do the quest for level 2-4 in Old Russia are there people there doing the quest for level 4-6? Or are those quests instanced separately?

You can however save any packs you get at the postmaster for leveling up the Cryptarch until the patch hits. Also I finally beat the Vault of Glass raid last night, got a legendary scout rifle with fire damage. (My only primary weapon to have elemental damage.)

Sweet, thanks. I got some legendary's I'll save for the patch, does anyone know when that will be?

Remaster doesn't even look that much better than the original PS3 version. Most of the improvements came in the form of lighting and frame rate.

The biggest graphics orgasm I've had so far came from P.T. (Sillents Hills playable teaser, go check it out if you haven't already).

Ok that's cool, but as I said, haven't played it at all so it looks pretty damn good to me.

I'll have a look a that Silent Hill teaser thing

With that said, TLOU on PS3 was a master class in graphics for that hardware. It was an outstanding visual achievement for, in technological terms, pretty old tech. A bit like how God of War on PS2 showed off some pretty amazeballs graphics for that old gal.

The Order 1886 seems to be coming in for some fresh criticisim over being uninspired in the gameplay department. Though it seems the demos being played recently are the same as before, so perhaps old news being rehashed. But still, would prefer it if people playing the demos had good things to say about gameplay...also respawning waves of enemies...ugh! This game should be the must have TPS new IP for PS4, but it may not live up to that expectation and we'll have to wait for Uncharted 4 to get some real TPS goodness. I hope the delay to 2015 is being used to sort out gameplay flaws.

Apparently Xb one launched to 100K units sold in China. Pretty good start there, seems roughly on par with UK. They are expecting 1 million total sales in the first year, which also seems pretty close to projected UK year 1 sales for Xb one. Another market roughly the size of the UK is pretty good news for console sales, as long as PS4 and Wii U can also get UK-like sales when/if they launch there. PS4 is definite in 2015, Wii U I think is a bit uncertain.

Also, Tearaway PS4 version looks too damned cute, and it seems to make pretty good and fun use of some of the unique features of the DS4. As a game that would allow me to regress back to childhood I might well be up for buying it. I no longer have the excuse of having young sons as a reason to get these sorts of games.

Finished Wasteland 2. Hollywood continues to bug me heh given I didn't get an ending slide for that storyline.

Otherwise:

Ranger Citadel got nuked, Base Cochise AI was destroyed, and the rangers relocated to the radio tower where Ace was murdered.

AG Centre rebuilt itself and ensured Arizona never went hungry, the infection thing was eliminated, but Highpool's destruction made Arizona go thirsty and apparently a lot of communities died without the ability to water their crops. Woops.

With the Atchison's wiped out the Topekans ran the Rail Nomad Camp entirely on their own, and enslaved the junkies and hobos to lay their railroads for them. They did a shoddy job and the community suffered. Woops.

The Canyon of Titan descended into total anarchy after word got out that I disarmed the ICBM at Silo 7. Woops.

Damonta began rebuilding itself and returning to what it once was. The two mechanic ladies went and deactivated all the robots at the airfield.

Rodnia flourished.

The Mannerites stopped eating human meat and the conflict with the Robbinsons ended. They began to integrate more with the rest of LA.

No ending for Hollywood or the God's Militia.

Also, they really cleaned up all the old characters in this game. Angela, Ace, Vargas, Thrasher, Hell Razor. The old team's completely gone.

I picked up Torchlight II on steam for $5. Its fun, but I'm not sure its better than Diablo 3.

Oh I definitely wouldn't call it better than Diablo 3; but it definitely was fun. I played an engineer and had a blast with him.

I've seen plenty of positive reactions to it. But also some comments that the combat is similar to the Arkham games. So, not for me.

More than just similar, apparently it originally was going to be an Arkham game. They changed all the graphics and writing assets, but left the combat mechanics as was. At least according to the Giant Bomb guys.

Oh, SoM is an Arkham combat style game? Hmm that actually takes my anticipation for it down a tad. While I quite liked Arkham Assylum the combat mechanics it didn't really grab me. I did like the stealth elements of Arkham Assylum a lot though. But I have not at all felt motivated to play City or Origins. Not sure whether that means I should give SoM a go because the style has not grown stale on me, or whether I shouldn't give it a go because I know the style is not really to my taste. Delving into the world of LOTR, which I haven't done since PS2, is a bit of a draw card.

Having just played a shitton of Shadow of Mordor, its a bit of Assassin's Creed mixed with Arkham and then the Nemesis system thrown on top. Which, frankly, is the best part of the game. I don't give a shit about the plot so far, but the continuing story of Holmgrat the Cruel vs. Talion is great. He'll get his, the bastard...

But really, this is the kind of thing I want to be in every open world game from here on out.

Right so I'm getting better at FIFA. There has been SO MUCH to take in after an 8 year hiatus from the series but I feel like I'm getting there. Having a good knowledge of Manchester City youth players has certainly helped me to pad out my League 2 team with some loaned in youngsters who I already know are quality. Recently played Stoke City in the League Cup and the gulf in quality between the leagues is vast. Will need to work out some tactic to beat superior teams...

ETA: Oh, and defending seems difficult, but I guess that's something you just get used to over time

Destiny loot patch went live yesterday. It's so much better now. Engrams are dropping regularly on Strikes. Purple engrams are always at least legendary items. Blue engrams seem to have a noticeably better chance at becoming a legendary (or I just got really lucky).

Archived