Are there any good recent Black Library (Warhammer/40k) books?

jurble

I haven't read anything in 2 years, I think. The quality can be so variable. I read a sample of a more recent Horus Heresy book and it nearly killed me. Manually checking for something good would leave me dead. But I do enjoy Black Library stuff when it's good.

My recommendation would be anything by Dan Abnett and not a lot else. He's started the Eisenhorn v Ravenor trilogy with Pariah, and Gaunt's Ghosts is ramping up again with Salvations Reach.

In my complete ignorance, I picked up Titanicus the other day for my boyfriend. I know he has some of the books, but there are so bloody many, and this was a nice 1st edition for 95p, so it won out. Is it any good? And (the dreaded question) is it alright for him to read it before reading any others?

I haven't read anything in 2 years, I think. The quality can be so variable. I read a sample of a more recent Horus Heresy book and it nearly killed me. Manually checking for something good would leave me dead. But I do enjoy Black Library stuff when it's good.

I think the ridiculous bloat of the Horus Heresy series has finally killed my enthusiasm for that. I'm going to be very selective with what I read from the series, no need to punish myself unduly.

Aaron Dembski-Bowden is the single most consistent writer BL has, I think. Haven't read Cadian Blood or Talon of Horus, but everything else he's written is in the top tier of 40k fiction.

Abnett is more variable, but probably overall second best, though Mitchell's Cain books are fun (if obviously formulaic) and McNeill has written some good stuff, too.

At this point it'd take a pretty convincing review to get me to try anything written by another BL author.

In my complete ignorance, I picked up Titanicus the other day for my boyfriend. I know he has some of the books, but there are so bloody many, and this was a nice 1st edition for 95p, so it won out. Is it any good? And (the dreaded question) is it alright for him to read it before reading any others?

Titanicus is one I've not actually read, so I don't know if it's any good or not. I think it's standalone, but it may have a sequel, either way it should be fine to read before any others.

I'll be checking out Umbra Sumus by Paul Kearney when it hits next year. Kearney + WH40K is a match made in heaven.

I'm waiting for the third Ciaphas Cain omnibus. It should be out around now based on their typical release schedule, but there's no sign of it which is a bit baffling.

Dan Abnett is excellent but I think he's overextended himself with too many simultaneous projects and too long between books in an individual series (even if it's just a few months between books of his overall).

Archived