Is Dany too idealistic to be a great queen/leader?

Robb_Warged

Or perhaps have her missteps in Meereen and Astapor taught her valuable lessons that will refine her into someone who would be a great Queen for Westeros?

We'll see. A more shrewd, and less idealistic, leader would probably have concluded that trying to end slavery in Essos was an impossible undertaking. But, maybe this upheaval is ultimately what Essos requires.

(spoilers for ADWD throughout)

I believe she is, yes. The thing she claims to hate most is the slaughter of innocents... yet with every war comes the massacre of smallfolk (especially if she plans on roasting KL with dragons like Aegon the Conqueror did) and death of soldiers who fight for a particular lord just because of location, or distant relation to a higher-born house, rather than devout belief in their lord's cause.

Her naivety in battle is only the start: she also needs to learn to understand the bitter truths of ruling a kingdom... it seems that she thinks once she's won, everything will be fine, and her life will go back to being as simple as it was behind the Red Door. She's got a lot to learn...

I'm not saying she's completely blinded by her idealistic version of the universe: she has made some tough calls (shutting the gates to the Astapori, though that was too little, too late; understanding the necessity to marry Hizdahr; looking after her khalasar), but she is, as she keeps proclaiming, only a young girl. With the right council of advisors and a few more years of experience, she could yet make a decent queen. Stannis has got one thing right, though, however much I hate him - they need to get rid of all these child monarchs. Give Dany five or ten years and she'll have potentially grown into a decent ruler but until then she needs a decent Regent.

I think the outcome of the Battle for Meereen will be an indication for her fitness to rule - if she makes it back in time, that is. If she can somehow convince Khal Jhaqo to follow her with his khalasar back to Meereen, attack the Yunkai'i forces from behind with forty thousand Dothraki screamers (the original plan to take Westeros!) she's got a shot at proving her battle prowess, and her persuasive skills, if she can convince Jhaqo - though having a giant black dragon who could roast his whole army alive at her command will probably prove quite persuasive.

I'm hoping her stint out on the Dothraki Sea has humbled her a bit, but if she continues with her usual "I am the blood of the dragon and it is my god-given right to rule Planetos because my father (who totally wasn't crazy) was cruelly defeated by the Usurper so give me all your lands, people and resources without question" rubbish then that just proves there's no character development and she really doesn't deserve, or have the ablity, to rule anything, let alone the whole continent of Westeros. Which she still hasn't thought about how she's going to get to. In, like, a year. (Seriously, are you ever going to go west?)

I think Dany isn't mad YET but she is finally having some trouble because of the traumas she endured.And about Dany being a good ruler I think that ship sailed long time ago and the only reasons she is alive is because of the plot armor if she was in Westeros she would have died very early.Robb was a good ruler even Tywin was a good ruler but Dany is simply a destroyer she can't build anything and she realized that in her last chapter.

"A dragon plants no trees" is the conclusion she reaches at the end.

Does that mean she's concluded that sadly, innocents have to die in war? Or does it mean that she's concluded that she really needs to turn up the cruelty, and become pitiless?

Dany is idealistic? If by indealistic you mean a arrogant ignorant insufferable delusional self entitled insolent stuck up brat, then yes.

Is she too crazy? Certainly.

Is she too cruel? Maybe.

Does she likes too much to torture children? Probably.

Idealistic? No, I guess not.

Dany is idealistic and pragmatic at the same time, hence why she falls under so much scrutiny on this forum.

Dany is idealistic? If by indealistic you mean a arrogant ignorant insufferable delusional self entitled insolent stuck up brat, then yes.

Sounds like you're describing a lot of her detractors lol. (Because let's be real, there's nothing more arrogant, insufferable, self entitled and brat-like than someone who constantly posts about a character they hate. Get a life.)

I think she would make a pretty good ruler because she seems to take the smallfolk into consideration when ruling because she knows what it was like to be put out on the streets.

If she did manage to sit her butt upon the iron throne she would not be a player. She would look at the board and burn it.

She has more honor than most near the throne currently but she is childish and too much of an idealist.

An idealist can be a good ruler if they have a grounded realist to temper their ideas. She would make a great queen if she finds a king who is more of a realist. She would add whimsy to his ideas and he would keep her grounded.

Alone, I say no. probably not the best ruler. There are worse rulers but there would be better too.

If she found someone to temper her idealistic tendencies she would IMO be the best queen ever.

Sounds like you're describing a lot of her detractors lol. (Because let's be real, there's nothing more arrogant, insufferable, self entitled and brat-like than someone who constantly posts about a character they hate. Get a life.)

Personal attack? How original and mature! Congratulations! You should be so proud!

(I am not sure why I am surprised everytime it happens.)

I guess I don't take "idealistic" as bad as some do. To be "idealistic" you have to have... ideals.

Idealistic doesn't have to mean "delusional". I think she's delusional. She doesn't seem to care too much about ideals other than "I hate slavery" (and she betrays that over and over again), and "I must be queen because dragons".

She's certainly arrogant, delusional, cruel, irresponsible etc. I wouldn't say idealistic.

Archived