Football 3-4-1-2: The Sack Race Continues

BLU-RAY

A really weird and for me unexpected loss against Leicester, but the harm done is limited by the losses incurred by Everton, Liverpool, Spurs and the draw between the two top contenders.

Disappointing yes, but I'm still in the newbie phase this season where I'm looking at United and just in awe of the fact that Di Maria and Falcao are actually playing for us.

Mangala was fantastic today. Sensational debut. Kompany and him already have a brilliant understanding

I agree. I was very impressed with him. Looks better than Sakho, who's a potential competitor for France CB. He and Kompany looked like they've been playing together for ages.

Liverpool's abject form is a real buzzkill. I deliberately skipped their three matches this past week. I just deleted them off the DVR without watching. Rodgers will really have proven himself if he can get this team playing again.

Nice of so many other teams to look crap too to cheer me up. Pity that Villa got over-confident and thought they didn't need to park the bus again.

Pellegrini: “We played during 90 minutes against a small team trying to defend, trying to keep 10 players in front of their goal and [against] a team that wanted to win from the beginning. It was very similar to the Stoke team, with a big team playing against a small team with very good players, trying to defend, trying to keep the score [nil-nil]. They had nine players in front of their box. I said last week that it will be very difficult for us to defend the title because every team will play the way Chelsea did. I repeat that I think they had no intention to win the game. They came just to draw and they scored on the counterattack against 10 players.”

Mourinho responds by calling him "Pellegrino". :lol: Never a dull moment. Almost makes me forget that Leicester put a spanking on us in the last 30 minutes.

Almost. :unsure:

Is it total bias that has me incredulous that Mark Noble has never been capped?

You can't tell me with a straight face that Wilshere is a better choice at the base of a diamond mf. Another super game this weekend for him.

Kompany and Mangala both beat Costa at his own game today. Welcome to the Premier League, Diego

I wouldn't say they got the better of him, he was contesting Mangala, Kompany and Zabaleta on his own at various times.

Thought he acquitted himself very well.

Dunno mate, they restricted a man who scored 7 goals so far in the league to one off target shot. Also he was repeatedly muscled off the ball by the pair of them. Several times he tried to push Mangala off the ball and tried to get into straight up fights with Kompany but was brushed off each time. I appreciate what Costa does, in fact he does it very well, but he got nothing yesterday.

Maybe you're right, but on the other hand Kompany and Mangala can only deal with what's in front of them and they did that extremely well. Half the point of having Costa is that he's meant to be this big brusing feller who can get the better of defences alone as opposed to, say, a Fernando Torres type who needs constant support from others

Maybe you're right, but on the other hand Kompany and Mangala can only deal with what's in front of them and they did that extremely well. Half the point of having Costa is that he's meant to be this big brusing feller who can get the better of defences alone as opposed to, say, a Fernando Torres type who needs constant support from others

I don't disagree that your CBs did well, though I can't fully judge because I got bored quite early and turned over to Everton-Palace, but tough as he is, he's not really a hold-up striker who can wait for others to catch up, and therefore needs the support to get close faster than they were doing. From what I see, like Torres he's still at his best when the ball's put in front of him, the main difference being that he doesn't disappear the moment defenders get tight to him.

I'm criticising Mourinho more than I am your defence, here. They did fine, they'll just have tougher tests (though your upcoming schedule is relatively light till you play us...). This sort of thing is exactly why I thought Costa might struggle for Chelsea, and while he's proved me eminently wrong so far, Jose will have to take a few more chances in the big games if he wants to get the best out of him in those.

Good decision that if it turns out to be accurate.

Also I see that the police are investigating the racist abuse directed at Balotelli.

They shouldn't have awarded Qatar the World Cup in the first place, the public uproar over the complications it would cause was huge and it was obvious that decision was heavily influenced with bribery.

Revoking that decision is damage control, nothing more.

On Balotelli, I must say it's refreshing to see Liverpool striker being in the center of a scandal and not being the jerk in the situation.

Archived