Football 3-4-1-2: The Sack Race Continues

BLU-RAY

They shouldn't have awarded Qatar the World Cup in the first place, the public uproar over the complications it would cause was huge and it was obvious that decision was heavily influenced with bribery.

Revoking that decision is damage control, nothing more.

I agree. Damage control is still better than doing nothing.

Must say my weeks long dream of seeing United turn into an English Inter is well on track. Now they can grab two wins before the next debacle.

Roma on the other hand, as awesome as they are thus far, keep mounting up injuries. The latest two are DDR and Keita, meaning it's basically primavera or no midfield at all against City if this trend keeps up ;)

Debuchy experiences the authentic Arsenal experience with a few months on the treatment table:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29275029

man city alex and i were discussing this today.

debuchy does not have a history of serious injuries. but, he like so many before him has donned the red shirt and ended up crippled. how much of this is indicative of how the club is run? does (as i suspect) wenger hit the lads in the legs with a cricket bat when they don't perform in training? do they just have bad luck? is there something flawed in the system where even their centerbacks (who should be the toughest dogs in the fight) end up out for weeks on end?

with them playing in the champions league habitually, always hanging around in the top four and going deep into the domestic cups why would they not have the sense to spend the money needed to keep a team going? they don't even have the depth needed to make a true run in these competitions without all the injuries.

they may not be cursed, but they are mismanaged. i will say that. they are about making the maximum amount of money, seemingly looking competitive but still unwilling to plop down the real cash to compete. the fa cup win last year was unexpected. it was an accidental trophy at best.

as i toured emirates a few weeks ago and gazed upon their amazing stadium i was awed by their statues of bergkamp and henry, their trophy case and being reminded of their invincible season. they had a team that truly could not be rivaled. it warranted a trophy that no other team will ever possess. i questioned how a club with such fortune could be so without actual ambition. it was my actual takeaway from visiting such a wonderful place.

i want arsenal to be honest with themselves and to their supporters. they are receiving 30 million a year for their new deal with puma. maybe it is time to have in classy cursive lettering on the inside of the collar of the shirts read 'striving for fourth.'

Yeah, not surprisingly, I don't agree with plenty of points in that post. It's also prudent to try and put that arsenal team into context, so much has changed since then.

Not entirely sure how we can come to the conclusion that Debuchy has been run to the ground? It's all guesswork and nothing more. Also, a quick wiki search has Per at 52 appearances, Kos at 46, Sagna at 48, Gibbs at 41. Kos in particular has had more than 30 apperances every season since he's joined us.

Yeah, not surprisingly, I don't agree with plenty of points in that post. It's also prudent to try and put that arsenal team into context, so much has changed since then.

can you honestly suggest that there is any more ambition in that club than just making it into the champions league knockout round each season?

i am not kicking you in the balls here. this is just me as a longtime observer of the league. my own team has even less in the way of ambition and far less in talent.

but, there is certainly something amiss at arsenal.

Quick note on Balotelli at Liverpool: I like him. I'm keen to see what he can do in a whole season's worth of games.

He's not as good as Suarez, so not a replacement, and now he's not even playing with Sturridge. I think the pair of them could at least be a proximity of how good Sturridge and Suarez were ( what a shame that lasted only 1 year IMO). He has to make it on his own for the next weeks upfront and that will be hard. But I like seeing him in that shirt, there is still huge potential there.

The thing about Arsenal and fitness: they did just hire a world-renowned fitness expert who's just come from being employed by the German national team, so they are working on the problem. It's gonna take time for him to work his magic, though. And he can't really do anything about the initial freak injuries, which a lot of this season's have been (often Arsenal injuries do come from nowhere, and in training, but Debuchy's was an actual in-game incident which you certainly can't blame on his legs suddenly being weaker because he's at Arsenal)- where you see the influence will hopefully be when he's coming back, because Arsenal's record with bringing back players from injury in the last three or four seasons has been utterly, utterly pitiful. And less mysterious training injuries.

It's going to be fun to see how Sturridge goes when he comes back because with Balotelli being so wildly different to Suarez in terms playing style it's going to require an adjustment.

Meanwhile Jamie Vardy has made himself one to watch with that performance against United. Sure the first penalty was him diving so blatantly it made Ashley Young look subtle and the second came after he'd fouled Blackett, but that scrappiness only makes him more intriguing to me and his energy and pace are impressive. Most of all though, he's just a good story rising from lower leagues at a fair clip, plus being part of the Fleetwood Town story. The only downside is he's keeping my boy Chris Wood out of the side.

Just seen the last 20 minutes of Chelsea vs City. Word on the street had been that Costa was handled by the City defence and yet in just those 20 minutes he was integral in the set-up of goal, skinning Kolarov in the process, had a free header he should have buried and hit the post with Joe Hart not even close to covering. If this is Diego Costa on an off day the Premiership is his for the taking.

Lampard's goal was an amazing moment though, not least because the man rushing in vain to shut him down was John Terry. All I wanted from the replays was for a slow motion shot of Frank Lampard getting to his feet with John Terry behind him watching Frank's back as he walked away uncelebrationally, but alas the production team didn't oblige me.

Archived