The Lannisters aren't running out of gold

ANDYJTArrant

Lots of people are theorising that The Lannisters' gold mines are running out. However, during Robb's campaign in the West the Greatjon captured Castamere, Pendroc Hills & Nunnis Deep. 3 different gold mines!

Surely the Northmen would have noticed this and if they did they would have spread the word seeing as Lannister power comes from gold.

What do y'all think about this?

Tyrion buys the Second Sons from Brown Ben Plumm for exorbitant, unnecessary amounts. He was rather unphased about it. Who says the Lannisters are running out of gold?

When Cersei declines to pay the Iron Bank of Braavos, she's talking about the Iron Throne's debt; debt that Robert took on during his reign. That debt is not particularly ascribed to the Lannisters themselves. If Stannis were to oust the Lannisters, the debt would then be his.

Edit: Oh. I see this is something from the show. Nevermind.

To be honest there has to be a magical explanation as to WHY the Lannister's gold mines didn't run out centuries before the founding of the Seven Kingdoms. If I read things correctly they have been mining the Westlands for thousands and thousands of years, and somehow it's only ever been GOLD, nothing else.

Why haven't they already sucked the mines dry? Hell why hasn't gold become WORTHLESS under those circumstances?

To be honest there has to be a magical explanation as to WHY the Lannister's gold mines didn't run out centuries before the founding of the Seven Kingdoms. If I read things correctly they have been mining the Westlands for thousands and thousands of years, and somehow it's only ever been GOLD, nothing else.

Why haven't they already sucked the mines dry? Hell why hasn't gold become WORTHLESS under those circumstances?

Well, it does not have to be like that. Having enough amount to produce in thousands of years sounds like such a vast amount that gold should not be worth that much- however seeing as they might go deeper and deeper in their search, as well as it taking a long time to produce a certain about, it does not really have to be worthless no matter how much you'll be able to obtain- as long as it takes a long time..

But yeah, I agree with you on your point that they should not be able to produce any more..

Lots of people are theorising that The Lannisters' gold mines are running out. However, during Robb's campaign in the West the Greatjon captured Castamere, Pendroc Hills & Nunnis Deep. 3 different gold mines!

Surely the Northmen would have noticed this and if they did they would have spread the word seeing as Lannister power comes from gold.

What do y'all think about this?

The Westerland mines ≠ Lannister mines. They don't own all the Westerlands mines. Though, I do imagine they collect some form of tax on them.

The Westerlings are almost as old as the Lannisters, and there mines went dry. Unlike the Westerlings, the Lannisters have other sources of income(a city, banking service, and taxes over a gold rich region).

Archived