"..as arrows of fire arched above a wooden wall and dead things shambled through the woods"

Varamyr6skins

In Melisandre's chapter in her vision we see a scene in which "..snowflakes swirl down and ashes rise to meet them as arrows of flame arch above a wooden wall as dead things shamble through the woods."

So we know a scene like this is going to happen.

My guess would be Deepwood Motte. It's the only castle in the North that we know to have a wooden wall (If I'm correct) and it is closely situated to lands beyond the wall and more importantly it has a wood for dead things to shamble through. Mel also made mention of dead things rising from the depths as if the depths of water, Deepwood Motte also sits VERY close to a large body of water between the North and the Lands beyond the wall.

Any one else have any guesses as what wooden wall Mel's vision could be referring to?

Another vision she has is a bunch of fires in the side of a mountain going out one by one when the cold comes sweeping in.

We know Ser Denys Mallister has reported hundreds of fires seen beyond the gorge.

Another vision is towers by the Sea being where the hardest blow will fall. The towers at East Watch and the towers in her vision did not match we know, but they are still a candidate we must assume.

We can look at all the towers by the sea that we know of. I don't know about West-Watch-by-the-bridge. We have never heard anything about this castle, It is safe to assume that it has towers and it is close to the sea, I think,.... the map is not often the land my father used to say.

If it is West-Watch, it would make sense if the wooden wall turns out to be Deepwood Motte. going further it would make sense in that it would mean Melisandre is wrong. she seems to misinterpret a lot of important details. she wants to believe in herself a little too much for her own good.

Other towers by the sea could be Flints Finger and Widow's Watch. I don't know if there are any towers on Skagos.

another thought is Bear Island. I don't know about towers but I could definitely see some wooden walls, and it too closely situated to the Lands beyond the wall.

Other important, obvious towers by the sea but not in the North are ofcourse the towers of the castles on the iron islands, Pyke and Ten Towers that we know of.

Some input would be most generous. I often try to see what GRRM has blatantly put in front of us.

I've been thinking about this part in the book for a while. My first thought that it was the Wall after all the ice had been destroyed. Maybe there is a wooden wall underneath it, but I'm not sold on it.

The thing that got my attention in this chapter was how she used the word ash a lot. She starts off trying to find Jon's sister again,

The girl. I must find the girl again, the grey girl on the dying horse. Jon Snow would expect that of her.

A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

And then this

Snowflakes swirled from a dark sky and ashes rose to meet them, the grey and the white whirling around each other as flaming arrows arced above a wooden wall

The grey and white reminds me of a dance. Maybe a second dance of dragons?

I thinks it's possible that Danny and Jon are siblings, either full or half and that the girl coming to Jon is really her not the girl that already has.

A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

And then this

Snowflakes swirled from a dark sky and ashes rose to meet them, the grey and the white whirling around each other as flaming arrows arced above a wooden wall

The grey and white reminds me of a dance. Maybe a second dance of dragons?

I thinks it's possible that Danny and Jon are siblings, either full or half and that the girl coming to Jon is really her not the girl that already has.

Hardhome is doomed and all of the people are in the caves along the mountain side there trying to escape the elements will become wyte walkers. They are North of the protective wall and will all be wiped out in TWOW. It is known. The others I think cannot cross water unless it is bridged. The Bridge of Skulls spans the Gorge where the Shadow Tower is, the very western part of the wall and the Bridge is where they may cross if it is not directly enchanted with the wall. We have seen nothing about it and is seemingly vulnerable unless bridge is cut. I do not think the others or wyte walkers can transverse water unless they are brought "on purpose" or "accidentally as stow-waways" such as the ships at Hardhome. This will be really interesting to see how it goes.

Lord Damien, I do think the white walkers/wights may be able to move under water. I see a lot of similarities to the 'stone men' of the Rhoyne River (from Tyrion's chapter in ADWD) who are seen to rise from underwater. I also wonder if the the girl on the horse could represent a grey scale/grey plague comming. (I think this could be a real threat with Shireen at the wall and Val said (in Jon chapter in ADWD) that she essentially is a ticking time bomb, as it only takes the right conditions for the dormant disease to reawaken) With all the weak/sick wildlings at the wall with lowered immunity I could definately see it spreading 'like wildfire'. But I could be way off the mark here... Another possibility of the grey girl is Asha Greyjoy who is of kings blood and potentially could be given to the flames...

Another thing just hit me, when Jon is riding the winch cage, more than once, there is notice taken to the snowflakes swirling up or down with him as rides the cage, then at a later time, after Alys Karstark is wed to the Magnar of Thenn, Jon noticing the snowflakes swirling with the winch cage again, and thinks of them as dancing with eachother, going even further they remind him of Alys Karstark when he thinks, "Dance with me Anon"

Just an interesting observation, enough to mention it

In Melisandre's chapter in her vision we see a scene in which "..snowflakes swirl down and ashes rise to meet them as arrows of flame arch above a wooden wall as dead things shamble through the woods."

So we know a scene like this is going to happen.

My guess would be Deepwood Motte. It's the only castle in the North that we know to have a wooden wall (If I'm correct) and it is closely situated to lands beyond the wall and more importantly it has a wood for dead things to shamble through. Mel also made mention of dead things rising from the depths as if the depths of water, Deepwood Motte also sits VERY close to a large body of water between the North and the Lands beyond the wall.

Any one else have any guesses as what wooden wall Mel's vision could be referring to?

Another vision she has is a bunch of fires in the side of a mountain going out one by one when the cold comes sweeping in.

We know Ser Denys Mallister has reported hundreds of fires seen beyond the gorge.

Another vision is towers by the Sea being where the hardest blow will fall. The towers at East Watch and the towers in her vision did not match we know, but they are still a candidate we must assume.

We can look at all the towers by the sea that we know of. I don't know about West-Watch-by-the-bridge. We have never heard anything about this castle, It is safe to assume that it has towers and it is close to the sea, I think,.... the map is not often the land my father used to say.

If it is West-Watch, it would make sense if the wooden wall turns out to be Deepwood Motte. going further it would make sense in that it would mean Melisandre is wrong. she seems to misinterpret a lot of important details. she wants to believe in herself a little too much for her own good.

Other towers by the sea could be Flints Finger and Widow's Watch. I don't know if there are any towers on Skagos.

another thought is Bear Island. I don't know about towers but I could definitely see some wooden walls, and it too closely situated to the Lands beyond the wall.

Other important, obvious towers by the sea but not in the North are ofcourse the towers of the castles on the iron islands, Pyke and Ten Towers that we know of.

Some input would be most generous. I often try to see what GRRM has blatantly put in front of us.

Is that actual quote actually in one of the books?

'Cause all I can find is the similar wording without the shambling through the woods part which skanbag posted above.

Archived