Main Theories about the Others!

Iulian Fedot

I personally think the others were starting to come back because magic is becoming strong again. So they themselves being magical creatures are now strong enough to launch a real attack. The whys a more difficult question I've heard a theory that they were created by the children to fight back against men. You should check out some heresy threads, I haven't read a lot.of them but I'm sure there'll be something there to answer some of your questions.http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98456-the-heretics-guide-to-heresy/

I personally think the others were starting to come back because magic is becoming strong again. So they themselves being magical creatures are now strong enough to launch a real attack. The whys a more difficult question I've heard a theory that they were created by the children to fight back against men. You should check out some heresy threads, I haven't read a lot.of them but I'm sure there'll be something there to answer some of your questions.http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/98456-the-heretics-guide-to-heresy/

I've had a similar theory,they may have foreseen the return of the dragons and with it, the return of magic and thus, their power.

Also I figured out that they may have returned now at the time when Westeros is at it's weakest due to the fact that it doesn't have a strong ruler. Right now, it is ruled by a boy king, it appears as though it would be a convenient time for White Walkers!

I believe the others are just the opposite of the Red Priests, which is, humans that have been changed by magic but this time it is ice rather than fire. I'm not sure if that makes them the true enemy, cause that would mean Mel and anyone that dabbles in sorcery is also an enemy.

I've had a similar theory,they may have foreseen the return of the dragons and with it, the return of magic and thus, their power.

Also I figured out that they may have returned now at the time when Westeros is at it's weakest due to the fact that it doesn't have a strong ruler. Right now, it is ruled by a boy king, it appears as though it would be a convenient time for White Walkers!

Yeah it's a really convenient time for them. Have you written up your theory? I'm not sure if.the dragons are the cause or a symptom of more magic

I believe the others are just the opposite of the Red Priests, which is, humans that have been changed by magic but this time it is ice rather than fire. I'm not sure if that makes them the true enemy, cause that would mean Mel and anyone that dabbles in sorcery is also an enemy.

I have to agree with what you said because there is a rumour that the White Walker that turned the baby in S4E4 is the Night's King who is also rumoured to have been a Stark before.

Yeah it's a really convenient time for them. Have you written up your theory? I'm not sure if.the dragons are the cause or a symptom of more magic

Uhm, I don't really have that many theories of them, just that which I gave to you.

I actually believe that Dragons are the cause of magic since remember when Daenerys got to Quarth and those warlocks have said something like, "When your dragons were born, our magic was born with it..." something like that. So that is where I am getting my theory out from.

I have to agree with what you said because there is a rumour that the White Walker that turned the baby in S4E4 is the Night's King who is also rumoured to have been a Stark before.

Yea!

And also one of Craster's wife in the book said Gilly's baby's brothers are what turns into the white walkers, and its highly possible that Craster has Stark blood.

It's very similar to how people send children to the red temple and they are forever changed into Red Priests.

Yea!

And also one of Craster's wife in the book said Gilly's baby's brothers are what turns into the white walkers, and its highly possible that Craster has Stark blood.

It's very similar to how people send children to the red temple and they are forever changed into Red Priests.

Interesting. Do you think there's a special process to becoming a red priest, like.not just anyone can bring a man back to life or have a fiery sword surely. There must be something that allows them to do it.

I think they have an agenda that is bad for much of westeros, but i do believe they are on the side of humanity, as per that they have been humans that have been changed, i think maybe they are crastars sons(this has textual evidence, not just show, check the heresy threads) But i think there is a reason the starks built the wall, they choose the other side and banished the others to the land of always winter.

Here is my own theory about the Others:

After the war between the First men and the Children of the forest, there was a peace made on the Isle of faces. But, not all of the CotF accepted the peace terms. There was some renegade group of the CotF which rejected the peace, because they wanted revenge for their fallen brethren. So, they sought up a new source of power in the Lands of always winter, and they transformed into a more powerful beings for one purpose, to wipe out all humans from Westeros.

But, I don't have any of my own theories about how the Others were defeated the first time, and why have they returned after 8000 years.

Here is my own theory about the Others:

After the war between the First men and the Children of the forest, there was a piece made on the Isle of faces. But, not all of the CotF accepted the piece terms. There was some renegade group of the CotF which rejected the piece, because they wanted revenge against their fallen brethren. So, they sought up a new source of power in the Lands of always winter, and they transformed into a more powerful beings for one purpose, to wipe out all humans from Westeros.

But, I don't have any of my own theories about how the Others were defeated the first time, and why they have returned after 8000 years.

So you think the others are cotf? Why are they as tall as people?

Interesting. Do you think there's a special process to becoming a red priest, like.not just anyone can bring a man back to life or have a fiery sword surely. There must be something that allows them to do it.

I think there is a special process in becoming a red priests that completely changes them, and gives them the ability to do with fire what others can't do, for instance Bennerro using fire to write glyphs.

Though I think every human can do magic, but Red Priests can do more with fire.

Uhm, I don't really have that many theories of them, just that which I gave to you.

I actually believe that Dragons are the cause of magic since remember when Daenerys got to Quarth and those warlocks have said something like, "When your dragons were born, our magic was born with it..." something like that. So that is where I am getting my theory out from.

I would believe this but the others were making hostile moves before the dragons were born. Which I suppose could lead to your idea that they forsake the dragons and the coming of magic, but that begs the question why would they attack the world when they know there's giant monsters that can breath fire on the humans side. And then if the dragons did bring the magic, once they killed them, which they'd have too would the magic not dwindle again and make them weaker?

There's a theory that Melisandre drank wildfire back when it was truly magical, some four hundred years ago, based on her recollections in her point of view chapter (and speculating that this was why Aerion Brightflame thought it was possible to drink wildfire, but by then the substance wasn't as magical as it had been because magic had left the world).

that begs the question why would they attack the world when they know there's giant monsters that can breath fire on the humans side. And then if the dragons did bring the magic, once they killed them, which they'd have too would the magic not dwindle again and make them weaker?

Are dragons back in the world because magic is stronger, or is magic stronger because dragons are back in the world? It sounds similar to the question asked about the Others: do they come when it is cold or do they bring the cold with them? I suspect it's supposed to be cyclical.

About the show (which I don't watch, btw): I've seen the supposed spoiler and the way the Others are depicted in the show, but it seems at odds with what GRRM himself has said:

The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous.

This makes sense if also thinking of their hatred of iron which is supposed to be inimical to malevolent supernatural creatures (including ghosts, fairies and witches) in our world's folklore. I'm inclined to think that the show diverges from the books about the Others and will continue to do so.

Archived