Who is considered the Thomas Hardy/James Joyce/George Eliot of SciFi/Fantasy genre?

Tyler Yeats

EDIT:And Nabokov! MY absolute favourite. I feel bad i didn't mention him in the title...

I know it is a terrible choice of words for a topic title but I think you grasp the general idea of what I'm trying to say.

Prior I was a major fan of Classic Literature but after reading upto exhaustive lengths all these years I tried Fantasy/SciFi genre, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

Here goes the more detailed question. For every genre there are these handful of authors/writers who are the definition of highest quality, in every way, in a respective genre or even in all inclusive literature in general. In the same fashion, I'd like to know/learn from you who do you think is/are that defining figure for Science Fiction/Fantasy medium. You can list upto three authors along with their work.

Note:This is not another best author/best works thread or maybe it is...but you can list authors whose work might not be your cup of tea but your admiration is enough to list him/her here.

Here goes my list:

• Mervyn Peake - The complete Gormenghast Trilogy

I read this masterpiece recently and would go on to claim that this is truly one of the masterpieces in literature let alone a single genre. The prose...

• Gene Wolfe - Solar Cycle

I'll go with the hype here with more than a credible source. I haven't read this person's work. Neil Gaiman is one of my best authors I'd say and If he has to say this then who am i to question it:

" He's the finest living male American writer of SF and fantasy – possibly the finest living American writer."

source:http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/may/13/gene-wolfe-hero-neil-gaiman-sf

• China Mieville - Bas-Lag series [Yeah I'm just going to be shameless and put my favorite author here...Still this guy's imagination is up there with the finest spec fic writers and his grasp of the language is on par with the finest]

Damn I should really read his Solar Cycle work starting from BotNS.. I keep hearing to endless lengths on blogs and articles..

Yeah, Book of the New Sun is tops for me. Long Sun and Short Sun are awesome, too, although they're only obliquely related to New Sun (they take place in the same universe but on entirely different ends of it), but New Sun is my favorite book of all time.

delany is the james joyce. mieville can be the pynchon. ballard is the melville and dick is the faulkner.

peake can be the hardy, and wolfe can be the cormac mccarthy

(that you, trav?)

delany as in Samuel Delany? I just google'd him. I was completely unfamiliar of this person. And from his Wiki page he is one of the significant figures in this genre. Which work you reckon i should start with by him?

Also I'm not trav(?). You can just call me Tyler.

I want to know just who is the Terry Goodkind of fantasy ;)

Oh wow your active here. Believe me or not, I came across your blog recently, and do i say what a daunting blog you have there, and the works that you've reviewed. I think I spent atleast an hour or so, digging up, and discovering new works.

Also, I'd like to know your opinion the most if you could answer !

Thanks. It's hard for me to think of more apt comparisons than the ones already provided, but maybe George MacDonald for Thomas Hardy, in part because they were contemporaries? Then there's Hope Mirrlees? Lord Dunsany would be another for the early 20th century Edwardian period. There are others, many of which were published by Gollancz years ago in their Fantasy Masterworks series, that might also be fitting.

Hope this helps.

delany as in Samuel Delany? I just google'd him. I was completely unfamiliar of this person. And from his Wiki page he is one of the significant figures in this genre. Which work you reckon i should start with by him?

Also I'm not trav(?). You can just call me Tyler.

Do you want to jump into the deep end or just stick your toes in? The deep end is Dhalgren or Triton. The shallow end is Babel-17 or The Einstein Intersection. Shallow does not mean easier to read but physically smaller books that can be read faster. I have to warn you though, Delaney is very good and I still have his books on my shelf to reread occasionally.

delany is the james joyce. mieville can be the pynchon. ballard is the melville and dick is the faulkner.

peake can be the hardy, and wolfe can be the cormac mccarthy

(that you, trav?)

So, who would be the Edward Bulwer-Lytton?

Do you want to jump into the deep end or just stick your toes in? The deep end is Dhalgren or Triton. The shallow end is Babel-17 or The Einstein Intersection. Shallow does not mean easier to read but physically smaller books that can be read faster. I have to warn you though, Delaney is very good and I still have his books on my shelf to reread occasionally.

Likely I will start with Babel-17 and see how it works out. I'm presuming this is a reread-rewarding category of work. I do enjoy such rewarding works. Thanks for the heads up.

Archived