Calm down, people

Stannis's Lawyer

People:

Calm down. And stop generalizing.

(since Dany is one of the most polarizing characters, she's my example, but it applies to all polarizing characters, such as Stannis, Theon, etc)

There are people who like Dany. There are people who don't. Live with that. You're never going to convince each other anyways.

People who like/dislike Dany are not one evil mastermind who's using hundreds of accounts at once to worship/slander Dany. Dany 'lovers' or 'haters' are not one monolithic bloc who all have the same opinion.

Not all people who dislike Dany worship Stannis.

I believe George R. R. Martin is a good writer. So if Dany is a polarizing character, what that means is that she's not written as the Messiah, but nor is she written as Adolf Hitler. She is a flawed and realistic character. Dany is not insane. Dany is not the most perfect being on Westeros and Essos.

Not all pro- or anti- Dany posts are 'crazy', 'ridiculous', 'bullshit', or 'fucked up'. Some undoubtedly are, but most aren't. Other people can have different opinions. Let it be.

As I said, the same applies for many other characters other than Dany.

So my conclusion: calm down. They're fictitious characters written by a fantasy writer.

People:

(since Dany is one of the most polarizing characters, she's my example, but it applies to all polarizing characters, such as Stannis, Theon, etc)

There are people who like Dany. There are people who don't. Live with that. You're never going to convince each other anyways.

People who like/dislike Dany are not one evil mastermind who's using hundreds of accounts at once to worship/slander Dany. Dany 'lovers' or 'haters' are not one monolithic bloc who all have the same opinion.

I believe George R. R. Martin is a good writer. So if Dany is a polarizing character, what that means is that she's not written as the Messiah, but nor is she written as Adolf Hitler. She is a flawed and realistic character. Dany is not insane. Dany is not the most perfect being on Westeros and Essos.

Not all pro- or anti- Dany posts are 'crazy', 'ridiculous', 'bullshit', or 'fucked up'. Some undoubtedly are, but most aren't. Other people can have different opinions. Let it be.

So my conclusion: calm down. They're fictitious characters written by a fantasy writer.

The difference is I've seen dany haters comparing dany with hitler but I've never seen pro-dany people saying she's perfect.

But this forum is for real and I take verything seriously okay?

So Dany/Martell haters gon' get got! :cool4:

I agree with you, GRRM is an incredibly talented writer. There are no purely good or purely evil characters, everyone is so completely, inextricably human and so outright Dany/Arya/any other character haters are hating human nature itself, and that's just silly.

I have issues with Dany, but I think that's more because she makes me question whether I do love or hate her pretty much every chapter. I admire and empathise with half her actions, and think she's an ignorant child for another third of the time, and whatever fraction of a person is left I think is a boring, selfish slut... but that is what I love about her character and all of the others. There's no one I'd say is perfect (Tyrion comes preeeetty close, as does Jon) but there are no Voldemorts or Melkors running around Westeros (don't flay me for comparing ASOIAF to Harry Potter/Middle Earth!) and that is the best thing about this incredible universe GRRM has created. You can forget about all the dragons, Others, giants, and magic walls... this Song is about human beings.

Your name is Stannnis's Lawyer. Why should we take seriously the viewpoint of someone who is a lawyer for Stannis on Daenerys? Maybe Daenerys hatred has nothing to do with different opinions and is a Stannis fans conspiracy.

Your name is Stannis's Lawyer. Who else famously has a lawyer, OP? The Devil, that's who! You are calling Stannis the devil and at such you are a blind hater and not an objective third party.

People:

I wouldn't be surprised if you are talking about a couple of my posts in the "Dany . . . idealistic" thread. I raged a bit at the crowd of folks who snark so harshly and with so much vitriol on Dany.

I stand by what I said. I do not believe that "a pox on both your houses" is an accurate or appropriate way of describing what's going on. Of course, every argument in a popular forum is likely to draw a few ridiculous and overblown arguments on both sides, but overall? There is not, absolutely not an equal amount of ridiculous argumentation and childish insult-throwing on both sides of the argument. One side is far more offensive than the other. Of course you are correct that Dany is written as a complex character with good and bad aspects, and there are many absolutely justifiable criticisms to be made of her, but I also think that snarking harsly on her and throwing piles of childish insults on top is a "fad" on this forum. I think these folks are perverting the author's intention to create her as a primarily heroic character who is rendered human by human failings and human mistakes.

I've been playing the diplomat regarding this, trying to make a difference, trying to really talk to people about it, for the few months I've been on this forum. I've seen little in the way of results. At least for today, I can feel my patience with the diplomatic approach wearing thin. If I feel that what I said in the above paragraph is true - and I do feel that - then I have at least as much right to express myself about this experience as others do to call Dany an insane, child-torturing slut. I'm sick of lying down and taking it. I don't want to get banned from the forum, and I don't want to get into infantile back-and-forth insulting, so I'm really not exactly sure what I'm going to do about it.

But I sure ain't gonna apologize for anything I've posted.

...but I like Dany, Stannis AND Jon!!!

This.

It is possible to be a fan of one character without hating whichever character is the "opposite" of him/her. In fact, I can't really think of any characters I truly dislike. As characters. No. As people? Yes. I dislike some of my favorite characters as people.

Even Areo Hotah. Getting an insight into his life as a slave was interesting and quite a counterpart of Tyrion's situation with the Yunkish.

This.

It is possible to be a fan of one character without hating whichever character is the "opposite" of him/her. In fact, I can't really think of any characters I truly dislike. As characters. No. As people? Yes. I dislike some of my favorite characters as people.

Even Areo Hotah. Getting an insight into his life as a slave was interesting and quite a counterpart of Tyrion's situation with the Yunkish.

The closest I come to disliking anybody is Catlyn, and I can't dislike her, especially after all the horrible shit that happens to her (or that she think happens to her (Bran and Rickon)).

Literally everybody else, even Ramsey, I'm fond of on one level or another. OK, maybe not Balon, who is not only an a-hole but boring, but he's not around that often and then he dies, so I don't really have a problem with him.

Archived