Gotham TV

Howdyphillip

I'm just wondering how the hell Cobblepot always knows to turn up, dramatically framed in the doorway just when Gordon's being accused of killing him.

He does it while he still has time. When he is older, he will wonder the same thing about a guy dressed as a bat. :P

This show is painfully mediocre so far. It's got potential, but at the same time it does so many things that grate against me I don't think I'm going to be able to watch it much longer.

1. Fish Mooney's storyline is pointless. It's incredibly obvious that with the Penguin's rise to power being the overarching story and Fish Mooney being an original character, at some point either Penguin is going to force Fish out of the city, or he's going to kill her, I mean even her name is a reference to this, "Penguin kills Fish". Her getting these 5, 10, even 15 minute blocks of screen time so we can watch her mould some girl is pointless. Why not use that time to give us more of characters we actually want to see develop, like Riddler or Penguin or Falcone or hell, any of the hundred other members of Batman's rogues gallery. Episode 6 had no Fish, and used the time on Riddler instead, and that was great, so why not do that more often?

2. Gordon and Bullock are doing Batman's job for him. Seriously, they seem to be solving every crime by themselves, arresting, if not killing every episodic criminal. There's been a few references to Gotham needing something "more than a cop", but for what? The crooked government officials who will continue to be crooked? The criminals that Gordon and Bullock are already putting away? And yea, okay, maybe Penguin will end up being the big bad of season 1 and do something horrifying, maybe Riddler will do something huge and be the big bad of season 2, but unless Batman is suddenly going to spring up out of nowhere, Gordon and Bullock are going to have to put them away too. It would be more interesting if we saw them leave a stone unturned or make a mistake and not realise it, so that you actually start to see a gap form that Batman will come in and fill. But I suppose that introduces a whole new problem, the premise of the show is to be before Batman, without Batman, but still to have all the same criminals. So Gordon and Bullock have to do Batman's job.

3. Some of the acting, casting and writing is horrendous. There are some actors I really like in the show, I think Donal Logue is great, despite my earlier thoughts Ben McKenzie has grown on me, I really like the kid who plays Selina Kyle. But there are some moments where I just get pulled out of it completely. Like Sean Pertwee as Alfred, seriously? He'd be more fitting to play Penguin, he's a proper cockney geeza, I think he has had some great scenes with Bruce but sometimes I look at him and think "this is the guy who will become Bruce's posh, upper class British, polite and sarcastic Alfred?" And all that at the end of Episode 6, Bullock confronting the villain, that scene was terrible, and then Penguin just shows up at the end, again. It's just plain bad writing. Penguin is also starting to grate on me, I thought he was a good choice at first, he has that ability to act like some snivelling coward, but it's all just an act so he can get you to lower your guard. But then he keeps turning up in the weirdest of places, why the hell did he just turn up at Gordon's door? Why the hell did he just turn up at Gotham PD?

The only thing I liked about this episode was the back and forth when Jim's trying to tell Harvey that he didn't kill Penguin and Harvey's like "Of course, you didn't, buddy. *wink*" And I am looking forward to Montoya losing her job.

This show is painfully mediocre so far. It's got potential, but at the same time it does so many things that grate against me I don't think I'm going to be able to watch it much longer.

1. Fish Mooney's storyline is pointless. It's incredibly obvious that with the Penguin's rise to power being the overarching story and Fish Mooney being an original character, at some point either Penguin is going to force Fish out of the city, or he's going to kill her, I mean even her name is a reference to this, "Penguin kills Fish". Her getting these 5, 10, even 15 minute blocks of screen time so we can watch her mould some girl is pointless. Why not use that time to give us more of characters we actually want to see develop, like Riddler or Penguin or Falcone or hell, any of the hundred other members of Batman's rogues gallery. Episode 6 had no Fish, and used the time on Riddler instead, and that was great, so why not do that more often?

2. Gordon and Bullock are doing Batman's job for him. Seriously, they seem to be solving every crime by themselves, arresting, if not killing every episodic criminal. There's been a few references to Gotham needing something "more than a cop", but for what? The crooked government officials who will continue to be crooked? The criminals that Gordon and Bullock are already putting away? And yea, okay, maybe Penguin will end up being the big bad of season 1 and do something horrifying, maybe Riddler will do something huge and be the big bad of season 2, but unless Batman is suddenly going to spring up out of nowhere, Gordon and Bullock are going to have to put them away too. It would be more interesting if we saw them leave a stone unturned or make a mistake and not realise it, so that you actually start to see a gap form that Batman will come in and fill. But I suppose that introduces a whole new problem, the premise of the show is to be before Batman, without Batman, but still to have all the same criminals. So Gordon and Bullock have to do Batman's job.

3. Some of the acting, casting and writing is horrendous. There are some actors I really like in the show, I think Donal Logue is great, despite my earlier thoughts Ben McKenzie has grown on me, I really like the kid who plays Selina Kyle. But there are some moments where I just get pulled out of it completely. Like Sean Pertwee as Alfred, seriously? He'd be more fitting to play Penguin, he's a proper cockney geeza, I think he has had some great scenes with Bruce but sometimes I look at him and think "this is the guy who will become Bruce's posh, upper class British, polite and sarcastic Alfred?" And all that at the end of Episode 6, Bullock confronting the villain, that scene was terrible, and then Penguin just shows up at the end, again. It's just plain bad writing. Penguin is also starting to grate on me, I thought he was a good choice at first, he has that ability to act like some snivelling coward, but it's all just an act so he can get you to lower your guard. But then he keeps turning up in the weirdest of places, why the hell did he just turn up at Gordon's door? Why the hell did he just turn up at Gotham PD?

1. If the acting was better or she got less screen time, I would be fine with the character. It makes sense that Penguin would have to displace somebody to gain real power. But I agree that it doesn't come across well.

2. It's only the beginning, and most of the guys they've put away aren't nearly as threatening as Batman's enemies. I'd give it time. They'll probably screw something up eventually.

3. I hope we at least get a half-way decent explanation for Cobblepot showing up at the GCPD. All I can think of is that he maybe had a guy staking out Gordon's apartment. I don't know, but if they don't give us anything it'll be contrived at best. I still like Taylor as Penguin though. Not his fault the writing leaves much to be desired. Pertwee is a bit of a strange choice for Alfred, but I find his role passable. He wouldn't work as the Penguin though. I don't think it would make sense for the Penguin to have that large of an age gap over Bruce.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than I have the previous ones. Though I can't really pin down what was different enough about it, that earned my interest.

I guess I enjoyed the Goat investigation. That was more of the idea I thought this show would be going for.

The Enigma and Kristen Kringle interaction was creepy and had an engaging energy.

Although I have a serious headache from being constantly beaten over the head with Enigma/Riddler's Riddles. Come on. Seriously? We can't be a little bit more subtle with him. I get that the whole "give em a riddle" might be a compulsive obsessive thing. But is he really that guy already?

At the moment it comes across as puerile.

Perhaps that is the way I am suppose to read it. I get the feeling there is a tantrum building every time someone doesn't play along with the riddle game.

I don't understand or sympathise with Barbara. I guess that comes from being an Army wife and knowing there are things I can't know about my husband's job for very good reasons.

I am sure it's the same for many professions. Police, Doctor, Lawyer etc. It comes with an expectation of confidentiality.

And I don't understand how she can put an ultimatum on their relationship in exchange for information on his job.

And after nagging him. (I gather, since James Gordon was late for work. They had been at that conversation for a while.) So Gordon finally agrees. What does Barbara do. Went and found ex lover Sarah and offers her the information she gets.

You could argue her intentions were... good-ish. But I see that as betrayal. It has ruined my view of the character and her relationship to Jim.

I was so nervous and icked out in the Penguin bath scene with his mum. Hands out of the water woman! And her jealousy.

It's fairly easy to see why Oswald is a bit of a mess.

I'm enjoying the show mostly because of the casting. With the glaring exception of Jada Smith, I like, pretty much, every choice the showrunners have made. I loved the Nigma bits this past week. I find myself enjoying the non-plot elements of the show...the exchange between Riddler and the hot file clerk, Penguin and his mother, etc. They have a nice little skeleton...just needs some more meat.

Finally got to watch the newest episode. It was better than the last few weeks.

I'm glad Bullock finally took center stage; he was the most interesting part of the episode. His story (the once bright detective who became cynical and bitter) was a bit cliche but at least they expanded his character.

The Penguin and his mother are....interesting. And by that I mean disturbing, but again, it was nice that they are starting to flesh out some of the characters.

Nygma and Kristen Kringle were fun to watch and it's about time they gave Nygma something more to do.

Jim Gordon acts like he is bored most of the time. And I officially don't care about his girlfriend and her drama. And the other two cops--seriously can't remember their name--don't care about them either.

The villain of the week was meh, whatever.

Didn't miss Fish at all. And at least the Bruce scenes were pretty short, though again, rather pointless.

I honestly enjoy this show.

I like Penguin, Bullock (Logue is awesome in everything), Nigma and Gordon. They keep it interesting for me.

What I can't stand is the shoehorning of Bruce (we get it, he is already showing signs of being a detective), the silliness of Fish Mooney (serisously? are we supposed to believe she is a threat to Falcone?), the random acts of Catwoman (cat stalker) and the whole plot of Barbara and her ex lover.

This show would have been much better to skip the whole "batman beginnings" and stuck to a cop drama about the rise of Gordon and the corruption in the police. They could have still introduced some of the batman characters (especially Penguin and Nigma), but left out the smaltzy crap with Bruce.

I

I'm just wondering how the hell Cobblepot always knows to turn up, dramatically framed in the doorway just when Gordon's being accused of killing him.

Well the Penguin hangs around the gutter and he hears things. The best part is how he thinks he and Gordon are Bestie's.

I love the part where Harvey's old partner is tell Gordon, "be careful around him he thinks he a White Knight" and Gordon's like "Bullock?, Harvey?, White Knight" IMO that really shows that Harvey is, in his own way trying to look out for Gordon. He has been where Gordon is, and it got him twisted in to what he is today.

I can buy Catwoman being a little older the Batman when I think it should be the other way around. What I don't get is Barbara being Gordon's love, when she was always his daughter. Unless of coarse they aren't going to be the same Barbara. That this is who he names his daughter after.

I can buy Catwoman being a little older the Batman when I think it should be the other way around. What I don't get is Barbara being Gordon's love, when she was always his daughter. Unless of coarse they aren't going to be the same Barbara. That this is who he names his daughter after.

That's correct. Barbara Kean Gordon is Commissioner Gordon's first wife. In the mainstream continuity, they divorced, she moved to Chicago and he later married Sarah Essen Gordon. Some versions have it that Barbara died in a car crash.

Barbara 'Batgirl/Oracle' Gordon is either Barbara and Jim's daughter or their neice through Barbara's sister, who named her after her sister. Most versions stick with the daughter storyline, as it makes more sense then that she'd stay in Gotham.

That's correct. Barbara Kean Gordon is Commissioner Gordon's first wife. In the mainstream continuity, they divorced, she moved to Chicago and he later married Sarah Essen Gordon. Some versions have it that Barbara died in a car crash.

Oh good! I didn't know that so I thought canonically he was stuck with her. Gods she sucks.

Not even the writers of "the flash" would refit a character so that someone's daughter is now his love interest!

Part of me wishes Gordon already had a son at this point in the show - I like how fucked up that kid is and it'd be fun waiting for him to start going nuts. With the subtlety of this show he'd be killing animals already.

Not even the writers of "the flash" would refit a character so that someone's daughter is now his love interest!

Part of me wishes Gordon already had a son at this point in the show - I like how fucked up that kid is and it'd be fun waiting for him to start going nuts. With the subtlety of this show he'd be killing animals already.

The show has some hysterically ambitious plans to be around long enough to see Batman actually show up in several seasons time. So they may yet get to Gordon's family.

Archived