Third Blackfyre Rebellion

Miley the Monstrous

Soooo, I was reading the wiki entries and realized there's no information about the 3rd rebellion. However, with Maekar's death being in 232 fighting the Peakes at Starpike makes me think this is the year of the fabled rebellion.

But who was the BF pretender? Was it Haegon? From the Mystery Knight I got the impression that the Peakes weren't working all that close to Bittersteel, so is it possible they found another BF claimant to support? And what were the details of that particular rebellion? Any speculation is welcomed :)

I also got the impression that it was Starpike rising the Blackfyre banners for a new king (kinda like Arianne wanted to do in Hellholt), but I wonder if the Yronwoods were involved too. According to the wiki, they participated in 3 rebellions, including the first one, so I don't know

The Westerlands reading seemed to confirm that the Peake rebellion thing which killed Maekar was a different event entirely, not connected to the Blackfyre rebellions.

As to the date of the Third Rebellion, that is difficult to determined. It could have been somewhat earlier during Maekar's reign, or in the later years of Aerys I. We don't really know yet how/when Prince Rhaegel, his twins, Daemon II, and Aerys I died. If the whole war for succession thing between Bloodraven and Maekar that was hinted at in TMK did actually occur, Bittersteel may have decided to choose to invade Westeros around the death of Aerys I.

In fact, if he was responsible for the death of Aerys I and/or or his immediate heirs (Rhaegel and his children) he could have caused a succession crisis for House Targaryen as an opportunity for House Blackfyre to step in.

The Blackfyre pretender most likely was Haegon. The pretender during the Fourth Rebellion was a Daemon III, suggesting that he was already a grandson of Daemon I - Daemon most likely did not name two of his sons 'Daemon'. Daemon III also is most likely not a son of Daemon II, suggesting that he may a child of Haegon, or of one of the three younger sons.

We should also consider the possibility that multiple Blackfyres died throughout the later rebellions, which could explain why not all of Daemon's sons got a chance to make a bid for the Iron Throne.

I also got the impression that it was Starpike rising the Blackfyre banners for a new king (kinda like Arianne wanted to do in Hellholt), but I wonder if the Yronwoods were involved too. According to the wiki, they participated in 3 rebellions, including the first one, so I don't know

That's only partially true. They "rode with Bittersteel three times", but the first rebellion is rather unlikely to be included. The more likely ones are three to five.

That's only partially true. They "rode with Bittersteel three times", but the first rebellion is rather unlikely to be included. The more likely ones are three to five.

The fourth rebellion was said to have been over rather quick, and not too far from where the Golden Company landed. Seems unlikely the Yronwoods fought alongside Bittersteel in that one, so the first rebellion might actually be included.

The fourth rebellion was said to have been over rather quick, and not too far from where the Golden Company landed. Seems unlikely the Yronwoods fought alongside Bittersteel in that one, so the first rebellion might actually be included.

That's what I thought

They rode with Bittersteel, is said because Bittersteel is the only person who fought those three rebellions as well. How else should it be stated? Not one Blackfyre Pretender fought in multiple rebellions..

The first one should be included. We know the second one isn't, and the fifth one isn't, as Bittersteel was most likely dead by then (or at least no longer capable of fighting), so it'll be 3 and 4, in addition to the first.

They rode with Bittersteel, is said because Bittersteel is the only person who fought those three rebellions as well. How else should it be stated? Not one Blackfyre Pretender fought in multiple rebellions..

"They rode with the Blackfyres. They followed the black dragon." No, they specifically refer to Bittersteel.

The first one should be included. We know the second one isn't, and the fifth one isn't, as Bittersteel was most likely dead by then (or at least no longer capable of fighting), so it'll be 3 and 4, in addition to the first.

Do you know when the fifth one was? Because the Wot9PK was probably the sixtht one. Personally, I expect the fifth one to be an result of Egg's failed marriage policy.

I've been waiting for the WOIAF book to come out just for this info! Hopefully we have the answers in one more month.

I'm convinced that Daemon II was sent to the wall with BR and Aemon and that enabled Bittersteel to crown a new BF king, resulting in the 3rd rebellion.

BR wasn't sent to the wall until after Egg became king. Which doesn't rule out your idea since all we know so far is the Markar died at the hands of the Peaks and in his wikki page all it says was he died fighting a rebellious lord which may or may not be the third rebellion but my guess is they weren't rebelling on their own

Archived