how can they not do the Manderly sub plot

RSMITTY7640

• 2 weeks later...

I think they'll merge the Manderlys, Umbers and possibly even the Reeds as well. Which sucks, but they seem to be trying to fit the whole of Feast and Dance into one series rather than at least splitting it in half. The show has barely mentioned the Manderlys despite their importance, and I can't see them trying to explain it all now - they'll just merge it with the Umbers who have kind of been included (with the Greatjon, at least)

No shame at all. The show is wrapping up with season 7 and so condensing and mixing things together are just naturally part of that process. The kids are growing up so no need to stretch this stuff out. Plus, books 4 and 5 are of questionable quality to begin with so I don't care as much about changes they do from here on out.

Don't whether thy will do it or not but leaving Manderly out is completely understandable, as the audience will have no idea who he is and they're getting overwhelmed with enough new characters already.

Plus I just don't think the character would translate well to screen.

How comes Manderly into the story? They declared for Tommen because the Freys held Manderly's son hostage. Davos is sent to them to negotiate. They know where Rickon is.

In the show. Rickon is going to the Umbers. Davos is at the wall. The Greatjon might be a hostage of the Freys. It fits.

I think they'll merge the Manderlys, Umbers and possibly even the Reeds as well. Which sucks, but they seem to be trying to fit the whole of Feast and Dance into one series rather than at least splitting it in half. The show has barely mentioned the Manderlys despite their importance, and I can't see them trying to explain it all now - they'll just merge it with the Umbers who have kind of been included (with the Greatjon, at least)

I doubt they would merge Howland since his kids appeared on the show. Also he has some knowledge crucial to the end game.

I barely remember the Manderlys from the books so it is best they cut out all this boring insignificant stuff :cheers:

Did u even read the book? One of the best chapters is when u find manderlys plans. I hate that they claim to love the books but are cutting out half the good stuff

^ the only people who know where rickon is are bran and mira.

We know he was sent to Last Hearth, and enough time has passed that he should have arrived by now. With that in mind, there's no necessity to include the Manderlys. And as others have said, since they haven't been established (except for one mermaid emblem visible in one shot), it will just be another contributor to the new character fatigue that the show will certainly experience.

And as much as I love Frey pie in the books, I have no idea if it'll translate well to the show - it might be too far for someone the audience should view as sympathetic to enable/participate in cannibalism. That being said, I still think we need at least one Northerner inside Winterfell who is shown to be opposing the Boltons/killing someone like Myranda. So we may still get some version of Manderly, but he will probably just have a couple of lines at most. That would be my guess at this point.

I doubt they would merge Howland since his kids appeared on the show. Also he has some knowledge crucial to the end game.

I seriously doubt they even care about Howland Reed or any of the backstory at this point. That backstory is important for the book series but it's had almost no relevance at all on the show beyond throwaway lines. They've retconned a ton of stuff to "save time and money" while inventing a ton of expensive filler that goes nowhere. The show's endgame is likely going to look nothing like the endgame in the books at this point.

Did u even read the book? One of the best chapters is when u find manderlys plans. I hate that they claim to love the books but are cutting out half the good stuff

It's quite clear that they aren't fans of the books. That much became very obvious in season 2. Season 3 gave me hope that maybe season 2 was a fluke as it seemed to be back on track. Then season 4 came along and it felt like they were intentionally giving book fans the middle finger just because they could. They don't care. It's just one big rush to the finish line now that the Red Wedding has been filmed.

And as much as I love Frey pie in the books, I have no idea if it'll translate well to the show - it might be too far for someone the audience should view as sympathetic to enable/participate in cannibalism. That being said, I still think we need at least one Northerner inside Winterfell who is shown to be opposing the Boltons/killing someone like Myranda. So we may still get some version of Manderly, but he will probably just have a couple of lines at most. That would be my guess at this point.

Cannibalism is too much on a show that has killed babies, has had lots of rapes (several on screen), shown intense torture, and has frequently gone to the extreme to show excessive violence, even in places where it's unnecessary? Seriously?

It's quite clear that they aren't fans of the books. That much became very obvious in season 2. Season 3 gave me hope that maybe season 2 was a fluke as it seemed to be back on track. Then season 4 came along and it felt like they were intentionally giving book fans the middle finger just because they could. They don't care. It's just one big rush to the finish line now that the Red Wedding has been filmed.

I doubt they'd work tirelessly year-round to give us an adaptation of books they didn't love simply to piss you off.

It isn't fair to ding the show for Rickon's absence. He's been absent in the books far longer. And there is a decent chance that Manderly lied to Davos about Rickon or that Davos doesn't find a living Rickon or that Davos finds a living Rickon but Rickon stays mostly off page.

The other issue with Frey Pies is logistics. We didn't see any Frey men come north with Bolton. Walder didn't mention sending any men north. And the Boltons in the show are already at Winterfell. It would make sense to open season 5 with other northern lords joining them at Winterfell so that the story can get moving. But Manderly meets the Frey lords at his castle and kills them on the journey to Winterfell. If the show starts the season with Davos travelling to Manderly, then has Manderly and Freys and Davos talking, then killing Freys and releasing Davos, then the stuff in Winterfell doesn't even start happening before mid-season - it is just a really slow start at the cost of great Manderly / Bolton / Ramsay / Theon material.

So maybe Manderly kills a Frey or a Myranda in Winterfell and makes pies out of him/her. And maybe Manderly shows up at Winterfell in 5x01 with a dead Frey in the freezer.

I agree that Frey Pies is iconic and I hope we see it, but it seems like a tricky thing to wedge into the simplified narrative.

I barely remember the Manderlys from the books so it is best they cut out all this boring insignificant stuff :cheers:

No shame at all. The show is wrapping up with season 7 and so condensing and mixing things together are just naturally part of that process. The kids are growing up so no need to stretch this stuff out. Plus, books 4 and 5 are of questionable quality to begin with so I don't care as much about changes they do from here on out.

What is up with these outright BLASPHEMOUS statements going unquestioned?

Archived