Was Aegon Conceived before the Tourney at Harenhall?

SerBrandonDayne

I Made a quick search and couldn't find anything but i could totally be wrong. My question here is that the Tourney was held sometime in 281 AC but I couldn't pinpoint the time in that year. Similarly Aegon was Born in 282 AC sometime. To me there seems to be a chance Aegon was conceived after the supposed slight to Elia's honor. Thanks for your help :)

We don't have enough information yet to determine this.

It would depend on when Rhaenys was born (early or late in the year), as Elia needed 6 months to recover. Was Rhaenys born early in the year 280AC, then we basically can't use the info. Was Rhaenys born late in the year, however, that means that Elia spend part of 281AC recovering as well. She could only get pregnant after those 6 months of recovery were over.

When exactly the tourney took place is also unknown. Some stuff took place first. Jaime fought against the Brotherhood, and was knighted, visited KL, and travelled home to CR. A month after leaving KL, he received his letter, commanding him to present himself at Harrenhal. That places us a few months into 281AC already, but we can't say how much time passed between the turning of the year and Jaime being knighted.

I have difficulty believing that Elia would sleep with Rhaegar after having been slighted so, at least, I have difficulty believing that she would do so this quickly, thus, I think that the possibility of Elia having been pregnant at Harrehal already (perhaps too early to tell for others?) is a valid one.

We don't have enough information yet to determine this.

It would depend on when Rhaenys was born (early or late in the year), as Elia needed 6 months to recover. Was Rhaenys born early in the year 280AC, then we basically can't use the info. Was Rhaenys born late in the year, however, that means that Elia spend part of 281AC recovering as well. She could only get pregnant after those 6 months of recovery were over.

So basically it was: "Oh, you're no longer dying as a consequence of your last pregnancy? Time to get knocked up again!"

Reason #748917 why being married to a Targaryan sucks.

So basically it was: "Oh, you're no longer dying as a consequence of your last pregnancy? Time to get knocked up again!"

Reason #748917 why being married to a Targaryan sucks.

Yeah, basically :p

Wasn't the tourney held in the spring of 281 AC? .....or am I imagining this

The tourney was held in 281AC. This year was also known as the Year of the False Spring.

As you most likely have noticed while reading the books, seasons in Westeros can be multiple years long. The fact that 281AC was known as the year of the false spring, suggests that it had been winter in the beginning of the year, and that spring-like weather had come up, making everyone believe that it was spring, while actually, it was still winter (meaning that the winter-weather returned most likely at the end of the year).

It unknown how long this winter-weather kept up, and when the actual, true spring began, though we do know that by 284AC (first half of the year), summer had already begun.

Wasn't the tourney held in the spring of 281 AC? .....or am I imagining this

The year the tourney was held was called the Year of the False Spring. The weather lead everyone to believe Spring had come when it was just a fluke. Since the length of seasons vary and can last years, there's no way to use the season info to figure out when in a particular year something happened.

Archived