Small Questions v. 10090

Rhaenys_Targaryen

The year of Brans birth can probably be answered best by Rhaenys, but as for the first part, that's really not a small question, we can only speculate on such a thing. But Fostering is certainly not mandatory, I'm not even sure its normal, at least in terms of all the characters we've been introduced to, I'd say far less than 50% have been fostered.

Was Robb not fostered anywhere because of the promise Ned made regarding Jon? He prayed that they would grow up like brothers, and I'm guessing he couldn't send Jon along with Robb (although a bastard along with the heir to the North seems like it wouldn't be that big of an insult). I imagine he wouldn't send Jon away at any rate because of his promise to Lyanna, and it would poison his marriage and family if he sent Robb away and kept Jon at Winterfell. Am i missing anything?

I'm guessing Bran wasn't fostered anywhere simply because he was a smidge too young, or there wasn't a proper opportunity. Looking at Eddard and Robert (8 years old, presumably) and both the Walders (8 as well), Bran comes up a bit short when the books begin.

Just to note though, on the wiki, it says on the side pane that Bran was born in 290AC, but to the left under his history it says he was born in 291AC. (wasn't sure if this is the place to point it out, sorry).

Bran was born in 290AC (follow the calculation that is given in the infobox as a source, and you'll see in detail why). I'm guessing that 291AC was an early mistake, that hadn't been caught yet..

As to Robb, it could be all the things that you've listed. But also, perhaps Ned didn't want to break the family apart. And when you foster out your sons, to some degree, that will happen.

Another thing that will happen is that the house where your son is send to as a ward, will gain more influence over him. And Robb is the heir, after all.

It is possible that Ned feels that, because he wasn't the original heir and thus not "trained" for the job, he needs to work additionally hard to make Robb a good heir, and wants to educate him himself, for this purpose.

Archived