Small Questions v. 10090

Rhaenys_Targaryen

We are not told that Bran and BR see Mel when she see's them, in Mels pov she does not indicate them looking at her, and we don't get any indication of it in a Bran chapter either.

BR sees Mel in the vision

A thousand red eyes floated in the rising flames. He sees me

Did Grrm confirm Dany will be in westeros in WoW?

if so, where's the quote?

Well, she better. Otherwise she's gonna miss the big dance. I hear that boy Aegon is gonna ask her to go 'round. (Do kids still say that or do I sound really old?)

Did Grrm confirm Dany will be in westeros in WoW?

if so, where's the quote?

I don't remember one. He does say Dany and Tyrion will "intersect" in TWOW, but not until the end of the book. I'm taking a leap and saying that it will be Westeros.

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2014/06/26/george-r-r-martin-winds-winter-tease/

ETA: GRRM also says "They're coming home." :)

ETA: GRRM also says "They're coming home." :)

home - isn't that the house with the red door in Braavos?

Never mind. To make sense, that would be Casterly Rock to Tyrion...

...and what, Dragonstone to Dany?

Edit: - I should probably work with the text offered in the link which is:

“Well, Tyrion and Dany will intersect, in a way, but for much of the book they’re still apart,” he says. “They both have quite large roles to play here. Tyrion has decided that he actually would like to live, for one thing, which he wasn’t entirely sure of during the last book, and he’s now working toward that end—if he can survive the battle that’s breaking out all around him. And Dany has embraced her heritage as a Targaryen and embraced the Targaryen words. So they’re both coming home.”

So coming home here might be they are getting back into a healthier state of their minds, respectively.

All we can be sure of is Westeros I think.

(I added something to my previous post after I had thought some more and read some more about it.)

Works pretty well for Tyrion who founded the Second Sons of Casterly Rock credit bank. He's bound to get the rock. So he is flying back.

But Dany has never been there in the first place.

Anyway, we need her for the dance in Westeros.

home - isn't that the house with the red door in Braavos?

Never mind. To make sense, that would be Casterly Rock to Tyrion...

...and what, Dragonstone to Dany?

Edit: - I should probably work with the text offered in the link which is:

So coming home here might be they are getting back into a healthier state of their minds, respectively.

Dany probably doesn't remember Dragonstone herself as she was too young, but perhaps Viserys' early descriptions got mixed up in her head a little bit:

The doors to the Great Hall were set in the mouth of a stone dragon. He told the servants to leave him outside. It would be better to enter alone; he must not appear feeble. Leaning heavily on his cane, Cressen climbed the last few steps and hobbled beneath the gateway teeth. A pair of guardsmen opened the heavy red doors before him, unleashing a sudden blast of noise and light. Cressen stepped down into the dragon’s maw.

Martin, George R.R. (2003-01-01). A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Two (p. 17). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

No mention of lemon trees anywhere though.

Game 58 :

"Robb is only a boy," Ned said, aghast.

"A boy with an army," Varys said. "Yet only a boy, as you say. The king's brothers are the ones giving Cersei sleepless nights... Lord Stannis in particular. His claim is the true one, he is known for his prowess as a battle commander, and he is utterly without mercy. There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man. No one knows what Stannis has been doing on Dragonstone, but I will wager you that he's gathered more swords than seashells. So here is Cersei's nightmare: while her father and brother spend their power battling Starks and Tullys, Lord Stannis will land, proclaim himself king, and lop off her son's curly blond head... and her own in the bargain, though I truly believe she cares more about the boy."

Clash : none.

Storm 05 :

His hand reached for his throat, fumbling for the small leather pouch he always wore about his neck. Inside he kept the bones of the four fingers his king had shortened for him, on the day he made Davos a knight. My luck. His shortened fingers patted at his chest, groping, finding nothing. The pouch was gone, and the fingerbones with them. Stannis could never understand why he'd kept the bones. "To remind me of my king's justice," he whispered through cracked lips. But now they were gone. The fire took my luck as well as my sons. In his dreams the river was still aflame and demons danced upon the waters with fiery whips in their hands, while men blackened and burned beneath the lash. "Mother, have mercy," Davos prayed. "Save me, gentle Mother, save us all. My luck is gone, and my sons." He was weeping freely now, salt tears streaming down his cheeks. "The fire took it all... the fire..."

Perhaps it was only wind blowing against the rock, or the sound of the sea on the shore, but for an instant Davos Seaworth heard her answer. "You called the fire," she whispered, her voice as faint as the sound of waves in a seashell, sad and soft. "You burned us... burned us... burrrrned usssssss."

Storm 14 :

The sight of Ser Brynden Tully's craggy face on the dais gave her comfort. A boy she did not know seemed to be acting as Robb's squire. Behind him stood a young knight in a sand-colored surcoat blazoned with seashells, and an older one who wore three black pepperpots on a saffron bend, across a field of green and silver stripes. Between them were a handsome older lady and a pretty maid who looked to be her daughter. There was another girl as well, near Sansa's age. The seashells were the sigil of some lesser house, Catelyn knew; the older man's she did not recognize. Prisoners? Why would Robb bring captives onto the dais?

(...)

When all the words were done, the Great Hall of Riverrun was empty save for Robb, the three Tullys, and the six strangers Catelyn could not place. She eyed them curiously. "My lady, sers, are you new to my son's cause?"

"New," said the younger knight, him of the seashells, "but fierce in our courage and firm in our loyalties, as I hope to prove to you, my lady."

Robb looked uncomfortable. "Mother," he said, "may I present the Lady Sybell, the wife of Lord Gawen Westerling of the Crag." The older woman came forward with solemn mien. "Her husband was one of those we took captive in the Whispering Wood."

Westerling, yes, Catelyn thought. Their banner is six seashells, white on sand. A minor house sworn to the Lannisters.

Storm 61 :

The eastern sky was vague with the first hint of dawn when Sansa finally saw a ghostly shape in the darkness ahead; a trading galley, her sails furled, moving slowly on a single bank of oars. As they drew closer, she saw the ship's figurehead, a merman with a golden crown blowing on a great seashell horn. She heard a voice cry out, and the galley swung slowly about.

As they came alongside, the galley dropped a rope ladder over the rail. The rower shipped the oars and helped Sansa to her feet. "Up now. Go on, girl, I got you." Sansa thanked him for his kindness, but received no answer but a grunt. It was much easier going up the rope ladder than it had been coming down the cliff. The oarsman Oswell followed close behind her, while Ser Dontos remained in the boat.

Storm 75 :

When the hall was finally empty, save for them, Sam and Clydas upended the kettle in front of Maester Aemon. A cascade of seashells, stones, and copper pennies covered the table. Aemon's wrinkled hands sorted with surprising speed, moving the shells here, the stones there, the pennies to one side, the occasional arrowhead, nail, and acorn off to themselves. Sam and Clydas counted the piles, each of them keeping his own tally.

And nothing in the first third of Feast+Dance, I don't have the rest available yet.

Way back in Clash of Kings, when Ramsay forces Lady Hornwood into swearing wedding vows, he allegedly locks her in a tower keep and she is found starved to death with bloody fingers having been partially eaten. Did she eat her fingers out of hunger, or were they flayed and therefor extremely painful, and she chewed them savagely like Theon wished to do to his?

It's easy to imagine a Lady like Hornwood slapping Ramsay right across the face, and from there you can guess the rest.

Way back in Clash of Kings, when Ramsay forces Lady Hornwood into swearing wedding vows, he allegedly locks her in a tower keep and she is found starved to death with bloody fingers having been partially eaten. Did she eat her fingers out of hunger, or were they flayed and therefor extremely painful, and she chewed them savagely like Theon wished to do to his?

It's easy to imagine a Lady like Hornwood slapping Ramsay right across the face, and from there you can guess the rest.

That is possible. According to Ser Rodrik, it was because of the starvation. Of course, Rodrik had not been there to see anything that happened previously. He was only there to witness the end result.

Though, if she had truly hit Ramsay, and been flayed as a punishment, I'd expect her to have been tortured more, like Theon had been, and not left to her fate, locked in a tower.

That is possible. According to Ser Rodrik, it was because of the starvation. Of course, Rodrik had not been there to see anything that happened previously. He was only there to witness the end result.

Though, if she had truly hit Ramsay, and been flayed as a punishment, I'd expect her to have been tortured more, like Theon had been, and not left to her fate, locked in a tower.

There is a lot of starvation in this book, but we never hear of self-cannibalization. We do know another reason that people Ramsay hurts eat their fingers, and Ser Rodrik could not tell the difference between a flayed finger, and something a starving mad woman did to herself (at least not after she was flayed AND chewed herself up), not that he would take the time to investigate.

I don't think Ramsay necessarily feels compulsed to spent weeks torturing everyone. It might do to just flay her hand (for whatever reason) and lock her away. Theon was a special project. But we'll never know, it seemed to me like GRRM left a Ramsay/Flaying easter egg and I just got past that part of Clash of Kings so I thought I'd ask if anybody else came to the same conclusion.

Game 58 :

Storm 05 :

Storm 14 :

Storm 61 :

Storm 75 :

And nothing in the first third of Feast+Dance, I don't have the rest available yet.

Thanks M_R. I believe Asha says something about seashells in the hall of the Drowned God. And of course Patchface gives a little jingle in Jon's last chapter. Can anybody tell me whether or not there are any others?

Adding on to @Mychel_Redfort's effort:

Game 58 :

Storm 05 :

Storm 14 :

Some more mentions in the same chapter ASoS 14 Catelyn II:

Westerling, yes, Catelyn thought. Their banner is six seashells, white on sand. A minor house sworn to the Lannisters.
Robb beckoned the other strangers forward, each in turn. "Ser Rolph Spicer, Lady Sybell's brother. He was castellan at the Crag when we took it." The pepperpot knight inclined his head. A square-built man with a broken nose and a close-cropped grey beard, he looked doughty enough. "The children of Lord Gawen and Lady Sybell. Ser Raynald Westerling." The seashell knight smiled beneath a bushy mustache. Young, lean, rough-hewn, he had good teeth and a thick mop of chestnut hair. "Elenya." The little girl did a quick curtsy. "Rollam Westerling, my squire." The boy started to kneel, saw no one else was kneeling, and bowed instead.

[...]

"His Grace has gotten along for sixteen years without you, Rollam," said Ser Raynald of the seashells. "He will survive a few hours more, I think." Taking his little brother firmly by the hand, he walked him from the hall.

Storm 61 :

Storm 75 :

Thanks M_R. I believe Asha says something about seashells in the hall of the Drowned God. And of course Patchface gives a little jingle in Jon's last chapter. Can anybody tell me whether or not there are any others?

Books 4+5 in timelineish order:

ADwD 26 The Wayward Bride

That's wrong, she thought. There are no trumpets in the Drowned God's watery halls. Below the waves the merlings hail their lord by blowing into seashells.

AFfC 44 Jaime VII

The girl turned her head away. "It is nothing," insisted her mother, a stern-faced woman in a gown of green velvet. A necklace of golden seashells looped about her long, thin neck. "She would not give up the little crown the rebel gave her, and when I tried to take it from her head the willful child fought me."

[...]

"No more than I want Joy to marry the son of some scheming turncloak bitch. She deserves better." Jaime would happily have strangled the woman with her seashell necklace. Joy was a sweet child, albeit a lonely one; her father had been Jaime's favorite uncle. "Your daughter is worth ten of you, my lady. You'll leave with Edmure and Ser Forley on the morrow. Until then, you would do well to stay out of my sight." He shouted for a guardsman, and Lady Sybell went off with her lips pressed primly together. Jaime had to wonder how much Lord Gawen knew about his wife's scheming. How much do we men ever know?

[...]

The knight of seashells?" Edwyn sneered. "You'll find that one feeding the fish at the bottom of the Green Fork."

ADwD 69 Jon XIII

Patchface jumped up. "I will lead it!" His bells rang merrily. "We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."

Archived