The Dinosaur Lords, by Victor Milan

Spockydog

You don't know what trash movies are, do you? While most Dan Brown books are bad, they are not trash books.

It's totally okay when both are created by magic. But creating humans with 14th century technology sounds even more stupid to me. And even if that's the case, coexistence is nearly impossible. Dinosaurs are just too big or too dangerous.

And then there's the point that Tyrannosauri and Allosauri are considered wild meat eating hunters, while this is far from certain in real life and one of the biggest discussions in palaeontology.

I guess that you haven't any palaeontologists, biologists, physicists or other natural scientists as friends, am I right?

Calm down there Reality-Man. You do realize you are on a forum dedicated to a book about dragons and shit, right?

Do try and suspend some disbelief when you read your funny books. It might help you out a little.

Also, you're trying to hard. Do try and relax. You're not impressing anyone.

Feast your eyes on this.

The blurb:

It comes out in July 2015. Cannot fucking wait.

The first paragraph of the blurb is how I'd write something at the age of 6 "Men and women live on Paradise as do dogs, cats, ferrets, goats, and horses." I'm surprised we weren't treated with a run of "and then"s

The book may be good as long as someone else wrote the blurb.

This sounds absolutely silly.

I mean, it totally could be good but the description is teetering on the edge of "cool and unique" and "silly and trying too hard".

Exactly. I wouldn't pre order based on that jacket description, but I would pick it up and read a few pages to see what I might be in for.

Most of the fantasy books I read and enjoy have plot summaries that make me groan.

Dragons? Magic? Prophecy? An ancient evil returns? Unassuming boy who turns out to be The One? The fate of... whatever? Give me a f*cking break! Guys with huge swords? (Ok, I'm a sucker for swords.)

But I read these books anyway, because others have recommended them, and I love them despite my initial lack of enthusiasm.

So if this thing gets a positive enough response, I might be induced to give it a try. Who knows?

Do you think GRRM read the book or did he just comment on the blurb? Andis Jurassic Park meets Game of Thrones good in his opinion?

Probably, but even if he has or has not read the book I think he would write a cover comment mostly as a favor to a friend, even if he didn't enjoy the book or thought it was any good. I assume they're buddies since they both seem to be involved in the Wild cards-series.

Do you think GRRM read the book or did he just comment on the blurb? Andis Jurassic Park meets Game of Thrones good in his opinion?

Vic Milan is from Albuquerque, NM and is part of the same Critical Mass writer's group as GRRM, Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck, Ian Tregillis, Walter Jon Williams, SM Stirling, and Melinda Snodgrass. I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of varied attendance in that group as it's a very busy set of writers but I'd say that the chances are pretty good that GRRM has read at least parts of the book.

Guys, guys, we are on a message board dedicated to a fantasy series in which a pair of orphaned chosen ones will save the world from a great evil. Let's keep that in mind before we denounce a concept as trash without having read the material--because the concept that I mentioned sounds like tired out trash, if you haven't actually read the series.

Anyway, the K'Chain Che'Malle did this first.

I think it looks very cool from the premise. Would love for this to be well written.

The cover is a very nice start anyway.

I think that's what it boils down to for me - if the writing/story matches the premise I'll be all for eating my words of apprehension. It still doesn't pardon that blurb text though.

Guys, guys, we are on a message board dedicated to a fantasy series in which a pair of orphaned chosen ones will save the world from a great evil. Let's keep that in mind before we denounce a concept as trash without having read the material--because the concept that I mentioned sounds like tired out trash, if you haven't actually read the series.

It boils down to the blurb again - they were all snappy and didn't include long lists of the mammals in Westeros.

The pitch of "Game of Thrones in Jurassic Park" is excellent though. It sort of reminds me of "shadows of the apt" where the concept of fantasy where humans have attributes of insects is great but potentially hokey if the execution isn't right. Luckily the author did a great job with it although it took 3 installments before he ironed out some of the wrinkles in the concept.

I joked. Before I joked. No one would ever publish Kenneth Eng.

Seriously though. Why are we criticising a book before it is even out? Before there is a sample to read? You have one look at a blurb and decide it is crap? C'mon, man. There are several books I've bought with shit blurbs that have turned out to be good reads. Let's not shoot the author before he's published.

If it doesn't appeal to you then fine, you don't have to read it.

Because, duh, dinosaurs could never coexist alongside humanity. Unless ... they were inside some kind of cybernetic simulation.

This book will win awards.

Not sure about that - but it just won a reader :) . Mind you, I want my dinosaurs done tasteful and obscure not loud and obvious. The T-Rex is so overdone as a trope that it would be hard to add something original to reader's imaginations. The water-based dinosaurs are not as well known, and could easily eat three T-Rex's for breakfast. the avian dinosaurs, if they hunted in packs, would be the most deadly creatures in the air or land. And who says size is all that matters?

I joked. Before I joked. No one would ever publish Kenneth Eng.

Seriously though. Why are we criticising a book before it is even out? Before there is a sample to read? You have one look at a blurb and decide it is crap? C'mon, man. There are several books I've bought with shit blurbs that have turned out to be good reads. Let's not shoot the author before he's published.

If it doesn't appeal to you then fine, you don't have to read it.

I'm sure folk were happy to criticise sparkly vampires before hearing anything else about the book too. Or time travelling navy seal vikings.

Not sure about that - but it just won a reader :) . Mind you, I want my dinosaurs done tasteful and obscure not loud and obvious. The T-Rex is so overdone as a trope that it would be hard to add something original to reader's imaginations. The water-based dinosaurs are not as well known, and could easily eat three T-Rex's for breakfast. the avian dinosaurs, if they hunted in packs, would be the most deadly creatures in the air or land. And who says size is all that matters?

Well they name-check T-rex in the blurb so you're out of luck there. They do mention the other things though so not so bad for you. In terms of realism there's also the factor that some dinosaurs never existed at the same time as others.

Because, duh, dinosaurs could never coexist alongside humanity. Unless ... they were inside some kind of cybernetic simulation.

This book will win awards.

or in a fantasy world where they just do. It sounds like a manufactured world by gods so all bets are off. It could be a giant sim but nothing about it suggests this is an alternate earth history.

Kudos to dribble of ink for reminding me of "dinoriders" - some of the most awesome toys I owned as a kid.

• 1 month later...

I just don't think I would enjoy it. If it were a children's book, okay. But I think the author wants to make a serious story and that just wouldn't work for me. I mean, come on, there is no way dinosaurs and humans could coexist over centuries.

And also, I cringe everytime someone calls Tyrannosaurus Rex fearsome.

That's because it doesn't work. Dinosaur vs. Humans works as a trash-movie. But no one wants to read a trash-book.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Archived