The Dinosaur Lords, by Victor Milan

Spockydog

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
:lol: at the comments on page one about Dinosaurs and humans being unable to evolve together. On a fantasy board dedicated to a series where humans co-existed with things like dragons. :lol:
I have to say I'm intrigued enough to consider buying this, but as I recently purchased a great deal of books that arent yet read, I'll wait and see how this is received before I decide on it

So this comes out next week, and I understand ARCs have been around for a while.  Anyone here read it yet?

I want it to be awesome but I'm still on the fence of whether its "good" awesome or "dinosaur" awesome.

If the Dinosaurs don't have feathers, I will not read it.

I'd be interested to see what context the feathers are used in. Warmth, courtship, flying etc. They could be used in a variety of ways and to distinguish dinosaurs and regions. It'd be cool for the dinosaurs in snowy climates to be covered in feathers for instance.

I'm still cool with plucked dinos though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've seen both positive and negative reviews.

I figure if even freaking low-bar Goodreads can't muster a full 4/5 stars, it's not worth checking out without some really good reason.

If the dinosaurs are called by their scientific names, I will not read it. Actually I just downloaded a sample, and saw that it alternates. It really should be all common names.

They only use scientific names in qutes from Book of True Names. Otherwise it is mostly common names.

And, as I mentioned, I liked it a lot, but  [spoiler]it very much is science fiction masquerading as fantasy - the world obviously is terraformed Venus -[/spoiler], so it may not be everybody's thing.

This piqued my interest when it was announced, and now that it's been out a month or so, has anyone read it?  Worth picking up?

I would also advise to read the first few chapters on Amazon etc. I liked those well enough to buy the book, but haven't read it yet. Some of the reviews have been horrible though.

Archived