Dangerous Dog advice

Ken Stone

I feel like the bar to being a hero has been lowered tremendously. It used to be where you had to actually do something impressive to be a hero. Now you can go drop a 20 at the shelter and instant hero status.

it IS a great thing to take on a rescue. My dog isn't, but if and when i buy a dog in the future it will be a rescue. Tbh i find your attitude towards dogs in general quite cold.

If your sister in laws dog is really being hurt regularly then this needs to be addressed. I hate to sound so basic but that's a living creature too and the fact you couldn't care less if that poor dog is murdered is quite horrible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people getting rescue dogs, what a silly thing to get annoyed about.

This thread is seriously disheartening. From the assertion that we should stop using the term rescue dogs to the blow by blow of how to crush a dog's windpipe, I would consider this to be fairly canine unfriendly. It was also disheartening to read zelticgar's post about the stereotype of pitbulls.

tell me about it...horrible stuff. Lift a dog like a wheelbarrow? Crush its wind pipe? Disdain for pitbulls and absolute indifference to the pain of an animal is very upsetting in this thread.

I hate some of the terms used to describe pitbulls in this thread. There is nothing inherently bad about these dogs, if you meet a nasty one the owner is probably a dick. My staff is the friendliest dog ever and I owned a rescue pit for about 6 months last year who was also awesome (though she did like to lick my face a lot)

You want dangerous dog advice? Try taking away their food while they're eating.

Hey-oh.

WTF? How about train your dog so they don't do this? I can put my hand in front of my dogs and they'll stop eating and wait until I say ok to start eating again.

How about this? If you're so concerned about your sisters dog, how about you work with her to train the dog to not be so aggressive? This thought that dogs can't be trained out of aggressive behaviors because of its breed is pretty ridiculous.

My sort of estranged sister in law lurves Pit Bulls. They have 2 that are "rescues" (*barf*). One that is a complete sweetheart and another that on two different occasions has tried to murder the one that is a sweetheart. My SIL can be naive so she thinks with enough love she will change the nature of the murdering Pit. I personally couldn't care less if one of her dogs kills the other but I am concerned for the children that live in her neighborhood. I've been tempted to call the village and let them know my concerns but I'm not sure it is the right thing to do. So far the deadly animal hasn't threatened humans, but it only takes once and you have a dead toddler. What should I do folks?

This should have tipped me off to where this thread was headed...

tell me about it...horrible stuff. Lift a dog like a wheelbarrow? Crush its wind pipe? Disdain for pitbulls and absolute indifference to the pain of an animal is very upsetting in this thread.

Heh, lifting a dog by its haunches! the horror!

It isn't suspending the dog by its back legs, just lifting them off the ground (like a wheel barrow) to control its movement.

fwiw, I own a pitbull mix

On occasion at the dog park, he has gotten into it with other dogs (nothing serious and he didn't instigate). But I am not about to separate them by getting in between their faces, that's a good way to get bitten. I just lift up his backside and pull him away. It's safe, quick, and effective.

As for crushing the wind pipe, this would only be in a scenario where the dog is mauling you or someone else and can't be stopped.

Um, he's just suggesting self defense in a worst case scenario. Much the same as you might describe self defense for defending yourself from a human. The dog in the OP has shown agressive tendencies, so it's not impossible to think that self defense techniques might be useful.

As for pitbulls, I'm not sure if they're more aggressive than other breeds. But all dogs can lash out from time to time if put in the wrong situation and the difference between pitbulls and regular dogs is that they have jaws that were literally bred for crushing. A normal dog bites you and you have a bite mark that heals after a few days, perhaps a bit worse for a toddler. If a pitbull decides to bite you, the end result can be fatal, especially for toddlers. It's no coincidence that pitbulls are quite often the culprits of toddler deaths or significant injuries in dog attacks. I'm not saying that pitbulls should be illegal, but the reputation isn't without warrant either. They can be very dangerous.

it IS a great thing to take on a rescue. My dog isn't, but if and when i buy a dog in the future it will be a rescue. Tbh i find your attitude towards dogs in general quite cold.

If your sister in laws dog is really being hurt regularly then this needs to be addressed. I hate to sound so basic but that's a living creature too and the fact you couldn't care less if that poor dog is murdered is quite horrible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people getting rescue dogs, what a silly thing to get annoyed about.

I don't get annoyed by people getting shelter dogs, I get annoyed by the term "rescue". It sounds so haughty and pretentious.

To be clear, I don't hate dogs. Unlike a large portion of 1st world dwellers I don't put them on a pedestal though. Dogs are essential livestock whose purpose has become companionship. If that appeals to someone, good for them. However when you have a potentially dangerous situation, like small children around a known attempted murderer, that is when I start to have a problem.

It all depends on the laws where you live, but reporting an animal for attacking another animal isn't likely to do much. Aggression toward other dogs does not really predict human aggression unless a person tries to interrupt a fight and gets attacked while to dog is in a rage. The safest way to break up a fight is to throw a blanket over them (they will usually break off when they suddenly can't see) rather than grabbing the back legs, which still puts you in bite range.

I have worked with dogs for years and it is silly to make judgements based on breed, especially a breed as varied as the pit bull. It is less a breed than a term for a muscular dog with a blocky head. My experiences with them run the gamut from the most kid- friendly dog in the world to an animal that made me fear for my life. Dogs are individuals and should be judged that way.

Your SIL needs to do more than love a dog to fix its bad behaviors. They need to see a pro trainer with aggression experience at the minimum. The best course of action is probably to re- home the dog to an experienced handler with no other pets.

I don't get annoyed by people getting shelter dogs, I get annoyed by the term "rescue". It sounds so haughty and pretentious.

To be clear, I don't hate dogs. Unlike a large portion of 1st world dwellers I don't put them on a pedestal though. Dogs are essential livestock whose purpose has become companionship. If that appeals to someone, good for them. However when you have a potentially dangerous situation, like small children around a known attempted murderer, that is when I start to have a problem.

It seems a bit rich of you to complain that "rescue" sounds haughty and pretentious - and a lot of rescue dogs really have been rescued, from pet farms, from starvation, from death - when you go straight on to use the term "attempted murderer" to describe a dog.

That having been said, motherofkitties says a lot of sensible things in her post.

Sorry you are disheartened by my post. I'm not in favor of hurting dogs and i admitted in my post I've known some terrific dogs (especially my friends Rotty). I just think its unrealistic to start from the assumption that all these dogs are angels and that there are a few bad apple owners out there. In my life experience the vast majority of these dogs and their owners are trouble. There is a culture of people who think it is cool to own these dogs and they dont treat them well or understand how to raise them. It takes an exceptionally strong owner to raise these dogs in a manner they deserve. You may not want to hear it but it is the truth and the number of abandoned and neglected dogs in this country is pretty high.

Thanks for the advice on breed. I think we will likely look at some of the poodle mix breeds.

Key part here is the owners. I have known hundreds of Pitbull type dogs in my life and 99% of them were lovely.

I agreed that there are many great dogs and owners out there but i don't think it is a majority. I'd also argue that the breed does matter. I did not dig too deep but what little i looked at seems to point to the fact that this type of dog is more predisposed to attacking than other types. Link is here that shows fatal dog attacks in the US. Not a lot of data before 2005 but the recent years show a trend. Most victims are children or elderly.

There is no evidence presented in this thread that the dog is dangerous. There is no call to do anything but make the suggestion that is perfectly fine for all dog owners, that you keep an eye on your dog and keep it leashed off your property

I agreed that there are many great dogs and owners out there but i don't think it is a majority. I'd also argue that the breed does matter. I did not dig too deep but what little i looked at seems to point to the fact that this type of dog is more predisposed to attacking than other types. Link is here that shows fatal dog attacks in the US. Not a lot of data before 2005 but the recent years show a trend. Most victims are children or elderly.

That doesn't really prove anything though because as you said the dog breed itself seems to attract more idiot owners than others which will then lead to more attacks by that breed.

There is no evidence presented in this thread that the dog is dangerous. There is no call to do anything but make the suggestion that is perfectly fine for all dog owners, that you keep an eye on your dog and keep it leashed off your property

Except for almost killing another living creature twice, it is perfectly harmless.

I wonder if you would give a person who attempted murder twice the same benefit of the doubt. Something tells me...not.

I think it is fair to say that the dog type has more of a predisposition to be violent than a typical breed. Whether is it due to its nature or the likelihood that their owner is a moron is unclear. I personally think that both factors play into the problem.

Given all this I still would not propose any changes to our laws around dogs. Anyone with a brain can be aware of this and can act accordingly. I have one next door and dont worry much about it. If something were to happen that might be another issue but for now it is simply an annoyance with its barking. I;d advise the original poster to let it be for now. I would also advise anyone considering owning a difficult breed to reconsider and spend some time gaining skills in dog training. I really think the breed is better served being handled by experts.

I think there is a lot of racism and classism involved in how pitbulls are viewed because of stereotypes about who their owners are, it was in this thread where someone described the owners by using a racist code word: thug (wanna be) and a stereotypical description of how "ghetto" black men dress.

Hi Summah,

That would be my comment "Unfortunately in my experience the vast majority of the pitbull owners I've seen are more likely to be a wanna be gangster type. The dog is just another accessory like their straight brimmed hat, saggy pants and gold chains."

Hate to burst your bubble but I live in North Massachusetts along the NH border. Its almost 100% white and most of the people I was referring to look like this.

Archived