Will Jon become a darker character?

jaimereborn

“They say you forget,” Haggon had told him, a few weeks before his own death. “When the man’s flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains.” (A Dance With Dragons - Prologue)

GRRM has already set up warging as a potentially corruptive and dangerous experience for the spirit. He has also set up Jon warging into Ghost just after the stabbing in several different moments of foreshadowing, including Jon's ironic thought "I am not a wolf" (Jon VI - ADWD).

I feel that when and if Jon's consciousness is restored to a human body again, he will have become a darker character - his experience as an animal having compromised his morality and his sense of honour. This would also see him as the latest Stark to embrace their darker side: Catelyn as Stoneheart, Arya as an assassin, Bran as potentially working with dark forces, and Sansa as potentially becoming a manipulative political player (especially given the show's latest portrayal of her arc).

How would this affect his decisions and his relationships with those around him, especially given the presumed turmoil that is about to ensue at the Wall? Is the Jon we have known throughout the series now gone?

Not unless he starts getting some sun!

But in all seriousness... I subscribe to the theory you put forth, when he returns he will be markedly different. I don't think that means "the Jon we knew is no more" necessarily, but there will almost certainly be some character transformation there.

You assume he will warg into ghost. Who says he will?

Most people on this board. Also the last word he says is 'Ghost...' and yes much foreshadowing for Jon's warging/resurrection throughout the series etc and the ADWD prologue is a massive hint. Have a look at some of the other threads, particularly the stuff about Jon's body and the Wall and the ice cells - that's all very interesting and much of it extremely convincing

Most people on this board. Also the last word he says is 'Ghost...' and yes much foreshadowing for Jon's warging/resurrection throughout the series etc and the ADWD prologue is a massive hint. Have a look at some of the other threads, particularly the stuff about Jon's body and the Wall and the ice cells - that's all very interesting and much of it extremely convincing

I have actually created one of those threads myself, and I've read some others. Not 'most people of this board' think this. There are some which think so, some who DON'T think he will, and some who are in the dark (which I still am, it can go SO many ways). What IS believed by many/most people on this board, is that he most likely will not become an UnJon. Since that doesn't fit his character. However, everyone is allowed to think otherwise.

Oh, and about the ADWD prologue. That would mean he would permanently would enter Ghost's body. That would even be worse IMO.

Out of the "main" characters (Jon, Tyrion, Dany) I think that Jon is the least likely to become darker. Although I like theory of all the Stark kids except Robb and Rickon becoming "villains".

Interesting. I can't see Bran going villain. But I could see Sansa and Arya going villain. Robb was one of the most heroic characters in the story.

I have actually created one of those threads myself, and I've read some others. Not 'most people of this board' think this. There are some which think so, some who DON'T think he will, and some who are in the dark (which I still am, it can go SO many ways). What IS believed by many/most people on this board, is that he most likely will not become an UnJon. Since that doesn't fit his character. However, everyone is allowed to think otherwise.

Oh, and about the ADWD prologue. That would mean he would permanently would enter Ghost's body. That would even be worse IMO.

lol how would it definitively mean he permanently enters Ghost's body? unless you're taking that as a literal foreshadowing. as you yourself mentioned, it can go SO many ways and that is only one reading of the prologue and what it's setting up. personally i think it is an example of the potential of warging and is used to illustrate how it can change people... to different extremes

lol how would it definitively mean he permanently enters Ghost's body? unless you're taking that as a literal foreshadowing. as you yourself mentioned, it can go SO many ways and that is only one reading of the prologue and what it's setting up. personally i think it is an example of the potential of warging and is used to illustrate how it can change people... to different extremes

Because it shows NEW information. Warging itself isn't new, but warging in an animals body to live longer is something new. If Jon would (suddenly) deliberatly start warging into Ghost, and you count the ADWD prologue as forshadowing, then yes IMO it has to be a permanent warg (because his body is 'dead'.

IMO, if Jon wargs at all, it will be a temporary warging, killing of his offenders and then returning back to his body. But I seriously doubt that aswell.

Because it shows NEW information. Warging itself isn't new, but warging in an animals body to live longer is something new. If Jon would (suddenly) deliberatly start warging into Ghost, and you count the ADWD prologue as forshadowing, then yes IMO it has to be a permanent warg (because his body is 'dead'.

IMO, if Jon wargs at all, it will be a temporary warging, killing of his offenders and then returning back to his body. But I seriously doubt that aswell.

don't follow that logic about how 'new' information relates to literal foreshadowing at all

Interesting. I can't see Bran going villain. But I could see Sansa and Arya going villain. Robb was one of the most heroic characters in the story.

I think the theory would pretty much be: Arya = new Jaqen, Sansa = new Littlefinger, Bran = new Bloodraven, Jon = new Night's King. I actually see Bran as more likely than Jon, because he has already turned darker by warging into Summer and hunting and using Hodor's body possibly against his will.

don't follow that logic about how 'new' information relates to literal foreshadowing at all

Well uhm, because it's like a thing in this series? The very first prologue is the perfect example. It shows us some forshadowing about the WW.

Oh wait, the WW aren't real, it was just a non-literal forshadowing on the fact that there was a threat coming from the North (Mance). No the WW are fake.

Edit: And yeah, Old Bear's dead was forshadowed for sure (LITERALLY). The one about Melis is quite clear (literall) forshadowing of her using magic (or w/e you want to call it). Ill stop here.

I think the theory would pretty much be: Arya = new Jaqen, Sansa = new Littlefinger, Bran = new Bloodraven, Jon = new Night's King. I actually see Bran as more likely than Jon, because he has already turned darker by warging into Summer and hunting and using Hodor's body possibly against his will.

I think Bran is more like the Last Hero,just like in Old Nan's story the LH searched for the children to save man. The Night's King was a LC so I think Jon is the higher candidate to be a new NK.

Well uhm, because it's like a thing in this series? The very first prologue is the perfect example. It shows us some forshadowing about the WW.

Oh wait, the WW aren't real, it was just a non-literal forshadowing on the fact that there was a threat coming from the North (Mance). No the WW are fake.

Edit: And yeah, Old Bear's dead was forshadowed for sure (LITERALLY). The one about Melis is quite clear (literall) forshadowing of her using magic (or w/e you want to call it). Ill stop here.

ok calm down

Archived