Would You Die For Your Country

Wade1865

In the words of Frankie Boyle: 'You never turn on the news to hear "shock result in Afghanistan were a missile had been destroyed by a wedding"'

Would I die in some far-flung country that, despite what the politicans say, poses no threat to me in order for some rich guy to get richer? No.

If someone invaded my country on the other hand...

The OP seems to have a very self-centered world view. (It is not a criticism as such, just an observation.)

As for me, there are causes I would die for, yes. I do not prescribe to the modern "preserve my own existence at all costs" mentality.

But I do value my own existence above a whole lot of causes. Just not above every cause. So it would have to be a far more specific cause than "for my country" or "for democracy and freedom" etc.

I would judge it on a case by case basis.

Are we supposed to answer as Fins or as being from our countries of origin?

Answer about whichever country (countries) you consider to be "yours".

I guess I could say that I have two counties, but I don't think I'd die willingly for either one.

Would I risk my life for certain individuals? Sure. But it's hard to imagine a realistic situation where I'd be willing to do that for a country.

I wouldn't want you to lose your life for anything, Theda. :love: People like you are hard to find.

:D Not sure if serious but I woke up, saw this and did a smile nonetheless.

And like others; there are certain people or causes I might be willing to die for, but my country and its government now?? No. No thanks. I don't really value my own life as worth much anyway but that doesn't mean I'd just chuck it away for something I don't 100% believe in. And atm a country with a tory government and where UKIP won the euro elections?? Nah. No way.

:D Not sure if serious but I woke up, saw this and did a smile nonetheless.

And like others; there are certain people or causes I might be willing to die for, but my country and its government now?? No. No thanks. I don't really value my own life as worth much anyway but that doesn't mean I'd just chuck it away for something I don't 100% believe in. And atm a country with a tory government and where UKIP won the euro elections?? Nah. No way.

Goverments come and go. I'd certianly fight if the UK was getting invaded. Even if Nick clegg was prime minister

Well, if you choose to fight for your country, you have to accept the fact that you could die for your country. Therefore, choosing to fight is choosing to die

There's a decisive difference between accepting the possibility of death and a willingness to die. For example, one who is willing to get in a car to go work at a McDonald's and perform as a Cook amongst Cooks must accept the chance that one may die in an auto accident while en route to the job. Although there's a greater chance of dying in a car accident (than there is during actual combat) while getting to the job so that one can flip burgers, the question I posed suddenly becomes absurd. Although one may be willing to die for McDonald's, the willingness to do so no longer makes sense. The same situation applies when claiming a willingness to die for the state or a comrade; although patriotism and emotion and comradeship complicates the situation, the end result is the same: it is not worth your life or the perpetual horror that your family will endure for the rest of their lives.

Both scenarios require the chance of death; both require an active effort to work (or fight) for the organization and co-workers; however, neither requires a willingness to die. I fought (and accepted that death was a possibility) but I did so with an overwhelming unwillingness to die.

As stayed above. He appears to be regular army. I don't blame him.

Just sad to me, in a way.

Regular Army as opposed to being a Special Operator? My Regulars performed just as effectively, if not better, than any Operator; my Regulars took as much risk, if not more; and, my Regulars did so without the luxury of specialized equipment and training and security and technology.

Don't be sad, GEN Patton -- an undoubted winner of war -- agrees with me:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

The OP seems to have a very self-centered world view. (It is not a criticism as such, just an observation.)

As for me, there are causes I would die for, yes. I do not prescribe to the modern "preserve my own existence at all costs" mentality.

But I do value my own existence above a whole lot of causes. Just not above every cause. So it would have to be a far more specific cause than "for my country" or "for democracy and freedom" etc.

I would judge it on a case by case basis.

You're right -- I'm self-interested, but not at the expense of others by way of exploitation (less those who are actively opposed against me). Aren't we all self-interested to some degree -- at least to the point of self-preservation? My degree of self-interest goes beyond survival, though, and into self-actualization, which requires the maximization of all three elements of power. But tut's a topic for another thread.

Archived