Can I skip the Liveship Traders trilogy?

Kaladin

I almost did skip it and decided not to. I'm glad I didn't because not only is the story excellent, but it puts the world together more so that when they are describing the Bingtown wars, you know what caused that and what is happening, you know who most of the players are as they mention them, when there are trade deals you understand both sides. You could skip them, but you would miss out on many deeper themes within Tawny man that would have no bearing on you w/out the Liveship series. Many people like the Liveship series better than the Fitz series, I don't, but the Liveship series is still very good.

I remember there being a lot more that ties Tawny man And Liveships together, but it has been a very long time sine I read them.

There's a point in Tawny Man where a bunch of peeps from Liveship show up and basically spoil all the major reveals of that series and then mug for the camera for awhile.

There's a point in Tawny Man where a bunch of peeps from Liveship show up and basically spoil all the major reveals of that series and then mug for the camera for awhile.

So, I skipped Liveship and went straight to Tawny Man and then went back (a couple years later) and read Liveship. I didn't feel like I was spoiled at all by reading Tawny Man.

Was it pretty much just a cameo of some Liveship characters in Tawny Man?

So, I skipped Liveship and went straight to Tawny Man and then went back (a couple years later) and read Liveship. I didn't feel like I was spoiled at all by reading Tawny Man.

Was it pretty much just a cameo of some Liveship characters in Tawny Man?

I did the same as you. It is a little bit more than just a cameo appearance though: (Liveship Spoilers)

Iirc when Fitz and the Fool are catching up at the start of Fool's Errand, the fool explains about the whole Serpents = Wizardwood = Dragons = Liveships thing, which kind of spoils some of the intrigue. I was also aware of things like the fact that Brashen and Althea would get together, because Jek mentions their child. And that Paragon would get the Fitz's face. And of course, exactly who Amber was and the nature of her actions (bumping the wheel out of the rut so to speak). And obviously you know certain characters that survive, luke Jek, Selden etc. I still loved the Liveship Trilogy though, even knowing all of this

I also want to say I was surprised I enjoyed the trilogy actually. Usually I would not go for anything on ships, it just doesnt appeal to me. But this did.

I did the same as you. It is a little bit more than just a cameo appearance though: (Liveship Spoilers)

Iirc when Fitz and the Fool are catching up at the start of Fool's Errand, the fool explains about the whole Serpents = Wizardwood = Dragons = Liveships thing, which kind of spoils some of the intrigue. I was also aware of things like the fact that Brashen and Althea would get together, because Jek mentions their child. And that Paragon would get the Fitz's face. And of course, exactly who Amber was and the nature of her actions (bumping the wheel out of the rut so to speak). And obviously you know certain characters that survive, luke Jek, Selden etc. I still loved the Liveship Trilogy though, even knowing all of this

I also want to say I was surprised I enjoyed the trilogy actually. Usually I would not go for anything on ships, it just doesnt appeal to me. But this did.

See, everything that you mentioned int he spoiler tag, did not resonate with me at all while reading Tawny Man. Since I hadn't read Liveship year, those things meant nothing to me and I didn't remember them at all by the time I got around to reading Liveship a couple years later.

ETA: I will say that I through Liveship is the best of all of Robin Hobb's series. So many great characters in it.

See, everything that you mentioned int he spoiler tag, did not resonate with me at all while reading Tawny Man. Since I hadn't read Liveship year, those things meant nothing to me and I didn't remember them at all by the time I got around to reading Liveship a couple years later.

Ah. See I didn't leave as long between the Tawny Man and Liveships as you did. So some of that was fairly fresh in my mind. Not that I really cared, I do love spoilers ;)

Not to mention the elephant dragon in the room. Tintaglia's kind of important.

But like I said before, I had no real problem reading Liveships after Tawny Man.

Yeah it comes down to how you feel about spoilers I guess.

I think spoilers are the least of it. Without knowing what's going on in Bingtown and who the characters are it becomes a throwaway thread that has no meaning to the reader. It's just some place on a map with no real meaning.

I think spoilers are the least of it. Without knowing what's going on in Bingtown and who the characters are it becomes a throwaway thread that has no meaning to the reader. It's just some place on a map with no real meaning.

More than throwaway: when I read Tawny Man, it felt entirely and utterly superfluous and meaningless cruft that should have been cut by the editor. It came out of nowhere for no good reason and added nothing to the story. I still feel like that even after reading and loving the liveship traders trilogy. It's spoilers that mean nothing and bring nothing to the current story.

I may as well use this thread to ask a similar question; how about the Rain Wild chronicles? I've read Farseer, Liveship and two thirds of the way through Tawny Man. I really feel like I need a break from Hobb, but I also really wanna read Fitz and the Fool and finally catch up with every one else. Seems a slog to get through another 4 books (my OCD brain is also bothered by the break in rhythm of trilogies, was it intended as a trilogy to start?). It sounds like a continuation of the Liveship themes so I'm sure it's good, I just don't hear many people talk about it.

I may as well use this thread to ask a similar question; how about the Rain Wild chronicles? I've read Farseer, Liveship and two thirds of the way through Tawny Man. I really feel like I need a break from Hobb, but I also really wanna read Fitz and the Fool and finally catch up with every one else. Seems a slog to get through another 4 books (my OCD brain is also bothered by the break in rhythm of trilogies, was it intended as a trilogy to start?). It sounds like a continuation of the Liveship themes so I'm sure it's good, I just don't hear many people talk about it.

It was actually intended as a single book. Then two books. Then those two books were both split in two.

It's not really that good. Not terrible, got some interesting things in it, but I'd never actually recommend it. The most it does is slightly expand the world and lore behind the dragons and actually give you a view of other dragons who aren't as powerful as the others you've seen.

I loved the Rain Wild Chronicles, but I can see why a lot of people don't. As I've said myself before, and other people have too, I could read about Hobb's character's sitting around doing nothing and still be entertained. In the Rain Wild Chronicles, I think that is fairly apt - nothing much happens, a lot of it is very character driven I guess you could say. The characters grow and change throughout the series

both physically and emotionally of course

and while there are certainly "things" that happen, I think it is a series that is more focused on the characters' development.

I really enjoyed Selden's arc, and if I am honest I wish it had been fleshed out a lot more. The whole ending of the Chalced thing seemed too abrupt for me, but I have a real soft spot for his character. Thymara infuriated me, but it was nice watching her change. I really liked Sedric too. His growth was probably the one I liked the most. The correspondence between the bird-keepers was interesting too

Anyway, I know its not the most popular stuff she's wrote, but I liked it.

Yeah, RWC is very non actiony. Not that Hobb ever is ACTION PACKED, but its morepronounced in that one.

Although

I Laughed my ass off when the dragon just eats Hest. God, one of the most statisfying ends to such a depsied character that I have ever read.

Also, i wonder how much 'silver' will come into play int the new books. Pretty sure the "mark" on the back of um..Malta's..neck where that other dragon smelled silver is from when the fool touched her. No spoilers for the recent book here, just me speculating.

Yeah, RWC is very non actiony. Not that Hobb ever is ACTION PACKED, but its morepronounced in that one.

Although

I Laughed my ass off when the dragon just eats Hest. God, one of the most statisfying ends to such a depsied character that I have ever read.

Also, i wonder how much 'silver' will come into play int the new books. Pretty sure the "mark" on the back of um..Malta's..neck where that other dragon smelled silver is from when the fool touched her. No spoilers for the recent book here, just me speculating.

Yeah, usually most of the action is packed into the last few chapters.

Not going to lie, I laughed too. Such a satisfying end for the egotistical dick.

Yeah, when I read RWC I assumed that's what the silver mark was from. Not sure whether it will come into play in the new series though. I'm just hoping that there will be more crossover in terms of the dragons in the new trilogy if I'm honest. (Fool's Assassin spoiler)

I guess if those who kidnapped Bee at the end of the book move down that way its possible.

Archived