things there should be words for

Larry of the Lawn

This might be too much information, but if you shower with bar soap, hairs stick to it. If you share your shower or soap with another human, you might even.remove.the hair from the soap as a courtesy. There should be a word.for the shallow scrapes your finger nails make in the process of removing the hair.

What other words should exist?

Eta: or should exist in your language?

There should be a simple English word that means both stalactites and stalagmites. There is one in my language. Speaking about stalactites and stalagmites in English sounds awkward because you always need to say both when you are speaking of them generally.

There needs to be a word for that pesky second sleep when you've woken up in the morning but you refuse to leave your bed until you fall asleep again and when you wake up THAT time you feel like shit and even more tired than when you woke up the first time. Is there a word for that

There needs to be a word for that pesky second sleep when you've woken up in the morning but you refuse to leave your bed until you fall asleep again and when you wake up THAT time you feel like shit and even more tired than when you woke up the first time. Is there a word for that

I used to call that having overslept.

Isn´t it dripstone?

Never heard of that word before, but I like it. Thank you! Some googling says it is correct too. Do people actually use it?

There definitely should. :agree:

@skynjay: I am pretty sure I have heard/read "sidewalk shuffle" for this

@Bolton's leech: 1: my everyday life

Apparently I forgot that English really lacks expressions for day before yesterday and day after tomorrow. German has both (vor-gestern and über-morgen) and one can in principle iterate them indefinitely, although in practice one rarely uses more than two prefixes (vorvorgestern)

I suggest "praesterday" and "aftermorrow" to improve the English language

An example that used to be discussed frequently (and maybe still is) in some regions of the German speaking internet (particularly usenet groups in the 90s) is a word for the satisfied state after having quenched one's thirst. In German we have "hungrig" - "satt" (full, not hungry), but one does not really use the word as the satisfied state after being thirsty (durstig). I might have read "sattgetrunken" wrt to animals? and there are of course several expressions for someone who is drunk, tipsy etc. But none explicitly for "thirst-quenched".

AFAIR one suggestion was "sitt" (cf. "satt"), another one "gelabt" (more or less "refreshed", although "laben" is a rather old-fashioned, almost biblical expression.

Anyway, English apparently does not have a specific word either, or does it?

This might be too much information, but if you shower with bar soap, hairs stick to it.

actually you can make soapy foam with the bar soap in your hands (I hope your palms are not hairy) and then apply this to your hairy body parts.

But I do agree that it is a basic niceness to try to remove eventual hairs if the soap is shared.

actually you can make soapy foam with the bar soap in your hands (I hope your palms are not hairy) and then apply this to your hairy body parts.

But I do agree that it is a basic niceness to try to remove eventual hairs if the soap is shared.

My entire body is hairy. I actually use liquid soap but at my gfs or if I'm travelling bar is often what I've got to work with. And I've noticed that most soap dishes/ledges are built to fail. At my old pkace I ran a bead of silicone caulk along the edge to keep things (beer bottles) on the soap ledge where they belonged.

Archived