Castle and City layouts

Jon Blackfyre

High unscientific methodology (i.e., me, a ruler and my extremely battered copy of ASoS) suggests that the two maps are relatively close in scale (i.e. the distance from Yunkai to Meereen on the ASoS map is roughly half the length of the Wall on the Westeros map). Not precise at all, but a good ballpark sign that the maps are in scale with one another.

Interesting to see if the ADWD Free Cities map is in scale with the others. I would imagine it is, since the Free Cities seem to extend from roughly due east of Crackclaw Point to east of Dorne, perhaps slightly further south. Enough to comfortably fit on a map at the same scale of the South.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to see a blueprint of Winterfell. I'm a Sims junkie and I'd try to make it as best I could in the Sims 2. :P That being said, I always wondered what the layout is of Winterfell and the Red Keep. And GreyWater Watch. Although that last one might be hard to do. :D

City layouts are good too. There's on of King's Landing somewhere, but I'd love to see Oldtown's honestly.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My absolute dream would be something like they did for Dragonlance. I still have that in a box somewhere around the house. I think it was something like the "Atlas of the Dragonlance World," that's not right, but Atlas was in the title. I'll look for it later, but this thing was incredible. It had detailed maps and blueprints of pretty much every single location mentioned in the series. I imagine they were all done for the accompanying RPG and so accumulated over time then bound together...but wow! It's by far the best map companion to any series ever published.

My absolute dream would be something like they did for Dragonlance. I still have that in a box somewhere around the house. I think it was something like the "Atlas of the Dragonlance World," that's not right, but Atlas was in the title. I'll look for it later, but this thing was incredible. It had detailed maps and blueprints of pretty much every single location mentioned in the series. I imagine they were all done for the accompanying RPG and so accumulated over time then bound together...but wow! It's by far the best map companion to any series ever published.

Hey, I have that! I agree, it's gorgeous. It was done by Karen Wynn Fonstad(sp?)

Hey, I have that! I agree, it's gorgeous. It was done by Karen Wynn Fonstad(sp?)

She also did similar books for Forgotten Realms, Stephen Donaldson's Covenant novels and for Middle-earth. The Atlas of Middle-earth is a particularly fine book, very interesting.

I always thought it strange that KWF didn't do maps for Wheel of Time or ASoIaF given that I'm sure she'd like them and both would have a lot of appeal to readers. However, closer digging reveals that she contracted breast cancer which stopped her working, and sadly passed away in 2005 :( She was a very good cartographer and her maps were very clear and detailed.

• 2 weeks later...
She also did similar books for Forgotten Realms, Stephen Donaldson's Covenant novels and for Middle-earth. The Atlas of Middle-earth is a particularly fine book, very interesting.

I always thought it strange that KWF didn't do maps for Wheel of Time or ASoIaF given that I'm sure she'd like them and both would have a lot of appeal to readers. However, closer digging reveals that she contracted breast cancer which stopped her working, and sadly passed away in 2005 :( She was a very good cartographer and her maps were very clear and detailed.

that's really sad, may she rest in peace.

Oh, small update:

We've seen two very nice paintings depicting certain locales from one of the contracted artists. One of them we think is especially choice, and the other is surprising in one of the details (which we aren't strictly sure is part of the artist's interpretation -- it is, looking over the material again, a perfectly valid interpretation of the text -- or if it's something from GRRM).

More when we have more to share. ;)

• 6 months later...
Speaking of maps, this is perfectly good thread in which people can actually recommend map artists they know of and admire for us to look at.

As always, we won't necessarily agree with any suggestions, but its entirely possible that we'll come across a great suggestion in a thread like this which will ultimately be implemented.

So, if you know of any artists who specialize in maps, or are just really good at doing them, a name (and, if possible, a link to an official website and/or their work) would be welcome!

I really like the maps Amok has drawn of the seven kingdoms, real classy and nice but I can't find theme anymore since he's old site has crashed or something

Thanks. We've got our map artist sorted out awhile ago, actually, as far as I know, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Just seen another of Nasmith's castle paintings. Jaw-dropping, is all I'll say about it.

I really like the maps Amok has drawn of the seven kingdoms, real classy and nice but I can't find theme anymore since he's old site has crashed or something

Amoka's maps are actually the maps that Geiger (?) drew for the UK edition of A Storm of Swords, but colourised.

I've been obsessively trying to chart out Winterfell from the summary at the Concordance and rereading the relevant chapters to see if the context makes anything clearer. While I can't quite make it work yet, I have to believe that GRRM has charted it for his own reference. He repeats Bran's route from the godswood to the Broken Tower several times exactly, and scenes around the practice yard and the bridge overlooking it are very consistent.

In general, there are four gates at roughly the cardinal compass points; the Hunter's gate to the west is sort of an informal back door with humble domestic buildings around it like kitchens, and the east gate (King's Gate in the outer wall) leads to the King's road and is on a more formal, ceremonial side of the castle, with the Lord's residence in the great keep and the great hall.

I'm not quite sure of where the godswood should be. At first I figured it should be in the north-west quadrant, and then I was trying the northeast. My main problem is two descriptions of views from windows. From the rookery, Bran saw the Bell Tower, the Guard Hall, the First keep behind them and the comet in the sky. Dany saw the comet in the east, but it wasn't clear if that was due east, or if it's path had changed to a more northerly position by the time Bran saw it, but I want to put the First keep on the north side of Winterfell, under the presumption that the oldest part of the castle should be on the highest ground.

The other view was from the Great Keep, and both the Bell tower and the glass gardens were visible at the same time. I had wanted to put the glass gardens southwest from the Great Keep and the Bell Tower to the northeast though (it seems like it or the rookery are connected to the curtain wall)...but that doesn't work.

There's a lot of buildings that we know to be adjacent, but the whole layout is still a jigsaw puzzle for me. :mad:

I also tried to use when Sansa's description of the castle as she was building her snow castle when I was working on my model. I never was able to get it mapped out enough to start on it.

• 8 months later...

I have made a map of the world. It is detailed as far as Westeros, less so for the rest of the world. It's not yet ready for prime time, but if there is anyone who would like to review and make comments, I'd be happy to be in touch off site -- send me a private message. Thanks

• 4 months later...

There is probably very small chance of this, but I would love to have Steven Biesty-style cross-section renderings of the major castles. Normal paintings are fine for artwork, but they give precious few inklings of the actual layout and structure. And maps or blueprints have no soul or feeling to them.

Just look at Incredible Cross Sections: Castle and think of Winterfell or King's Landing in such array. For all I know GRRM himself has not enough data to make such a project, but it would be glorious.

There is probably very small chance of this, but I would love to have Steven Biesty-style cross-section renderings of the major castles. Normal paintings are fine for artwork, but they give precious few inklings of the actual layout and structure. And maps or blueprints have no soul or feeling to them.

Just look at Incredible Cross Sections: Castle and think of Winterfell or King's Landing in such array. For all I know GRRM himself has not enough data to make such a project, but it would be glorious.

How cool would it be to see a cross section of Maegor's Holdfast and the Tower of the Hand with all the secret passages?

Archived