NFL Week 4-5: At the end of the first quarter...

Trebla

Late shift, making me ponder some important questions...

Should John Idzik be fired? This accountant has taken the most pathetic approach to getting rid of Rex Ryan that I can think of. Phil Emery wanted to get rid of Lovie Smith, so what did he do? He fired his ass after a 10 win season, because fuck him. But Idzik can't justify dumping Ryan without sabotaging the entire team. The result is a QB that could start for half the teams in the league playing in the wildcat, and a secondary that's second to none and last to all.

Seriously, what is the obsession with Geno Smith? Why is the best offensive player on the roster wasting away behind a guy who fell out of the first round with the grace of a meteor crashing into the fucking sun? Why is the best member of the secondary the less-talented cousin of LaRon Landry? WHY!?!

The Jets are $25 million UNDER the cap. They failed to go after Maclin, failed to re-sign Cromartie, and then made a piss poor attempt to grab Roger-Cromartie. They had the cap space to sign at least one of these guys, probably two, and could have maybe gotten all of them. The fact that Geno has not been pulled just boggles my mind. Vick should have been starting from day 1, and I don't know if this is a Ryan call or an Idznik call.

I am a big Rex supporter, and it will be a shame that he'll be gone after this year if they don't make the post-season. The Jets only lost by one score in each of their losses, and I think that it is a testament to Ryan's ability to coach these guys into bringing out their best.

The Jets are $25 million UNDER the cap. They failed to go after Maclin, failed to re-sign Cromartie, and then made a piss poor attempt to grab Roger-Cromartie. They had the cap space to sign at least one of these guys, probably two, and could have maybe gotten all of them. The fact that Geno has not been pulled just boggles my mind. Vick should have been starting from day 1, and I don't know if this is a Ryan call or an Idznik call.

I am a big Rex supporter, and it will be a shame that he'll be gone after this year if they don't make the post-season. The Jets only lost by one score in each of their losses, and I think that it is a testament to Ryan's ability to coach these guys into bringing out their best.

Yeah, the Jet's roster is absolutely abysmal. Like the Rams, they're a one trick pony with a good defensive line, and a ton of supbar units after that.

And speaking of the Rams, here's their next 8 games:

@Philadelphia

San Francisco

Seattle

@Kansas City

@ San Fran

@ Arizona

Denver

@ San Diego

It's going to get ugly.

My final tally for the Bears/Packers game yesterday:

Bears-10, Packers-17, Refs-28.

Packers put up a valiant effort, enough to beat the Bears and their "coverage? pass rush? what's that?" defense and "Matt Forte was killing it in the first half? Better let him touch the ball just 7 times in the second half" offense, but in the end the Refs did just enough to run away with the victory. Good job Refs, outscored both opponents yet again.

I am almost happy enough about my cowboys to turn on ESPN an listen to the hyperbole... Almost, but not quite.

It looks like Mo Claiborne has an ACL injury. That gives the job to Sterling Moore, who has done an outstanding job, but depth at that position is almost nonexistent. I would expect some moves to address that this week.

Bruce Carter had a quad injury in one of the strangest plays I can remember seeing. He was chasing down the RB 40 yards down the field, and just fell right when he got there. After the game, he told the media it felt like he got shot. That injury isn't expected to be serious, but this guy is finally starting to excel, and I hope he doesn't miss much time. That is rally funny for me to say, because last year, I wanted him run out of town.

Josh Brent returns to the facilities this week to bolster what is already an overachieving and solid looking defensive line. I am personally glad he is back and think that his NFL punishment was extreme this year considering he has already missed two years, has served his sentence, and has had the family support of his victim and best friend the entire time. He still has a half of a season to sit out, but I am looking forward to his return.

All in all, things are looking pretty good for the team with the star on its helmet. I am pleasantly surprised.

Man, yeah, I felt like coming into the season the Cowboys would have a very good offense with Romo, Bryant, Murray and that O-line which looked stacked. They're now looking like what I expected they'd be. Romo finally looks healthy.

But it's the defense that's surprised me. Feels like they've pulled together a defense with balling twine and scotch tape. I mean reviving a defense with good but always injured Henry Melton and always batshit crazy Rolando McClain seemed improbable. Maybe it's just the upgrade going from Monte "Weekend at Bernies" Kiffin to a legit NFL defensive scheme?

I love how the farce of an offseason the Raiders orchestrated had all of the talking heads predicting a decent Oakland team, and then this happened. Adding half a dozen over-the-hill veterans for money they couldn't sniff five years ago? What a great fucking plan, no one's ever tried that shit before! Mark Davis is like a fucking scientist.

Yeah, again, was the biggest waste of $60m of cap space I'd ever seen. Lot of talk Dennis Allen will be fired, and he deserves it, but Reggie McKenzie should be feeling some of the heat too. And now they got their rookie QB injured. I mean San Antonio fans would hope they'd be further along in their rebuild before the Raiders move there.

But it's the defense that's surprised me. Feels like they've pulled together a defense with balling twine and scotch tape. I mean reviving a defense with good but always injured Henry Melton and always batshit crazy Rolando McClain seemed improbable. Maybe it's just the upgrade going from Monte "Weekend at Bernies" Kiffin to a legit NFL defensive scheme?

LOL, the twine and scotch tape is exactly how I think of them. Their 3 best players from last year are gone or on IR. Through 4 games the d-line has something like 2 1/2 sacks. But...

1. They're no longer getting destroyed deep. Last year was a carnival of deep passes given up. This year the safeties have been stout and the corners (all but Claiborne) have been disciplined. No GREAT plays but no huge disasters like last season.

2. The linebackers have been the strength of the defense. When Sean Lee went down in May, eveyone started talking about this D possibly being the worst of all-time. Instead they've gotten great play from Rolando McClain, Bruce Carter, and Justin Durant. Carter got benched last season, Durant's job was in jeopardy until Lee went down, and as everybody knows McClain has been one of the NFL's great headcases.

3. More than any unit, the d-line has somehow held up despite a severe lack of talent. It's filled with journeymen and it's two Pro Bowlers (Melton and Spencer) are coming off major knee injuries. Yet somehow they are getting just enough pressure and making enough run stops to get the job done. They still make me leery though. I do have some hope though because some help is coming with rookie DeMarcus Lawrence coming back from injury and Josh Brent from suspension. They should help.

Always good when a rant goes over with the rest of the group. Whew!

Meanwhile, I think I'm starting to root for... the Cowboys!?! :ack:

But really, ever since week 1, I've caught most of their games and I'm pulling for them like an underdog story. You guys have all hit it on the head, they've created a defense out of retards and rejects, but it's worked so far. That kind of stuff is fun to watch. Not to mention that DeMarco Murray is like a young LaDanian Tomlinson out there.

I think Dallas' D is a red herring.

They've played Tennessee and St Louis. They barely beat St. Louis and gave up absurd plays to something called 'Austin Davis'. Their defense was okay against the 49ers, but apparently the 49ers just aren't that good this year.

Leaving the Saints. Except...what have the Saints done this year? I realize that the Saints should be really good and whatnot, but if you actually look at what they've done so far this season the only impressive offensive performance was against Atlanta - an Atlanta team that just gave up 41 points to Teddy Bridgewater.

Now, the good news for the Cowboys is that they probably won't have many problems for a while - their next 7 games are against teams with not particularly impressive offenses. But then as the playoffs get closer, they face this: Philly x2, Chicago, Indy.

I expect them to give up a whole hell of a lot of points in those games.

Chi-ken parm you taste-so-good.

So, yeah another week of watching football and everyone hoping the next scandal does not break out like... right now...

Here are my general thoughts:

I don't know what is happening or why its happening but WHAT THE FUCK BEARS!?!?!? Okay so, no real pass rush and then no coverage. Nice. Aaron Rodgers looked very much like... Aaron Rodgers out there going a Brady-esque (and when I say Brady, I mean the "Brady when he had people around him that were not Reche Caldwell or a team where his BEST receive is a 7th round pick out of Kent State who played QB") - 22 for 28 300 yards, 4 TDs and he secretly developed a cure for The Clap. Great game against a team I had thought as good.

Speaking of teams that we thought was good... fucking Steelers. You lose to Tampa Bay! You ass-clowns. I mean, yes, Vincent Jackson is a stud; the man can play this game, but the Bucs looked like a team ready to give up the season at the quarter pole and the Steelers lay an egg right there. There are two things good about this - one: one less AFC Team to battle with the Pats for the right to lose in Denver for the AFC Championship game (Bengals- looking at you!) and two: it eliminated a bunch of people in my suicide league (GO CHARGERS!).

Geno Smith... doing Geno Smith things... in New York. You are falling for it! The way we all knew you would!!! Its New York - they all fucking suck! and you are a terrible QB....

Panthers look sad. and beaten. And like a team that does not want to be there; like Duran towards the very end of his career.

And I really like watching Andrew Luck (when my cable package allows me). So many people said that he would be good and they were all correct. He is an absolute pro out there and he lights everyone up so easily. Now, the Colts are going to have a big problem without a pass rush (Mathis' suspension and then injury have crippled that part of their game), but right now, Luck just hopes to win every game 44-41.

Falcons and Saints just suck balls on the road, Seeing Bridgewater come in and take over a game was great, then we were reminded of the natural order of things and he was immediately injured. But sill, its hard to watcha team drop 45 on weak and then go on the road and implode the next. And the Saints... Jesus... I mean, the NFC South went 1-3 this week and that one team that won ... was the Bucs.... Also, Tony Romo did look really good against a terrible Saints Defense.

So... like... are we going to have a pool on which Ryan gets fired first? Gotta be Rob, right?

So, the last thing I'll talk about before I watch tonight's Pats game like a 7-year old watching Jaws was the SF v. Phily game. I know that Kelly is getting a lot of heat for the way he handled play calling, especially with the short-yardage and not running McCoy (who was bottled up all game). Yeah, he's a genius and all, and the game is going to be affected a lot by what he does over the next few years, but ... but this is the NFL and you are responsible for all your successes and all your failures and part of Sunday's Phily loss was on Kelly for that failure. SF looked good- especially on D where they held Phily to about 215 yards of total offense. That's pretty spectacular.

But there is one part of the SF team I wanted to just take a moment with.

Derek Jeter is retiring (oops... SPOILER ALERT! Hope I didn't ruin for you - don't worry, he did good at the end). And one thing people always said about Jeter was that "he plays the game the way the game should be played." And that is high praise and largely true.

There is much about SF that I don't like- starting with their petulant head coach. But...

Frank Gore plays the game the way the game should be played. Gore is a tough, talented player who goes out there and does his job every week to little fanfare or attention. He is a very valuable piece of a good (but not great) offense and he always puts up good numbers. He plays hard. He misses few games and ha to put up with a lot (Hyde rings to mind). He is adored by his teammates, he stays out of trouble and is a leader on and off the field.

Frank Gore plays the game the way the game should be played.

For tonight's game, I don't like anything about the Pats O. we are treading very closely to the "Brady is done" phase of our analysis because he looks harried out there. The O-line is a sieve and our receives are not as good at getting open as hoped. The KC defense is going to lock down on them and its going to be tough to score. The up-side of the Pats season is that the D is playing much better than in prior years. If the Pats can get to Smith they have a good chance. If not, its going to get real ugly real fast.

Pats should win 27-20.

I think Dallas' D is a red herring.

They've played Tennessee and St Louis. They barely beat St. Louis and gave up absurd plays to something called 'Austin Davis'. Their defense was okay against the 49ers, but apparently the 49ers just aren't that good this year.

Leaving the Saints. Except...what have the Saints done this year? I realize that the Saints should be really good and whatnot, but if you actually look at what they've done so far this season the only impressive offensive performance was against Atlanta - an Atlanta team that just gave up 41 points to Teddy Bridgewater.

Now, the good news for the Cowboys is that they probably won't have many problems for a while - their next 7 games are against teams with not particularly impressive offenses. But then as the playoffs get closer, they face this: Philly x2, Chicago, Indy.

I expect them to give up a whole hell of a lot of points in those games.

Last year we shut down the Philly offense with an even worse D. Philly managed to only score 27 points in 2 combined games.

I do agree, our defense has been extremely lucky, we play well against Philly and 2 games (Chi, ind) won't change much so i don't see why that matters at all.

Hell, if 4 games is all that i have to be afraid of with this defense, i call that a success. I was expecting worst in the league in every defensive category.

Holy Shit, JJ Watt is unreal

Pending review of All-22 film in the coming days, Watt’s +13.5 overall grade currently sits as the highest PFF grade ever earned, eclipsing his previous record of +11.4 last season. There was little the Bills’ offensive line could do to stop him in the passing game as he tallied fifteen pressures. Watt’s nine hits (including one negated by his own roughing the passer penalty) were more than all but eight other 3-4 defensive ends had in the entire 2013 season.

15 pressures and 9 hits... in one game.

Why was Al Davis so gross?

Seriously, that's more than getting old, the dude was falling apart bit by bit...

The pic of Al and Mark Davis will haunt my dreams.

Also, Mark Davis: surely you can afford a real haircut instead of having your mom cut around a cereal bowl on your head. Or did you pay someone to give you the Dumb and Dumber cut?

Archived