NFL Week 4-5: At the end of the first quarter...

Trebla

Holy Shit, JJ Watt is unreal

15 pressures and 9 hits... in one game.

I firmly believe he has nearly singlehandedly accounted for 2 of the Texans 3 wins this year. JJ Watt beat Washington and Buffalo. Those are both losses for Houston if he plays at even an average level.

NFL owners as Dick Tracy villains. SCARILY dead on! http://deadspin.com/nfl-owners-as-dick-tracy-villains-1640313419/all

It's weird for me to see NFL owners as ____ Villains and not see Danny Snyder mentioned

But yeah, I now fear sleep after seeing Al Davis. Weird thing is, I've seen pictures where he's more photogenic.

@AdamSchefter: Kyle Orton has been named the Bills' new starting QB

That didn't take long. Manuel is so mediocre.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Manuel hasn't played well, but he hasn't been Geno Smith bad, and Kyle Orton is fucking terrible. Hopefully there is an injury explanation here, or this just makes no sense at all.

If not due to injury, I think this just shows that the current trend of reaching by as much as a full round to draft a QB if only because you think you need a QB is a huge mistake.

Locker

Ponder

Gabbert

Manuel

And I'm sure I'm missing a few others, had no business being drafted in the high-mid first round and they have suffered because of it. Had they been a second round pick, the need from the team to see them succeed immediately wouldn't be there and maybe things would have turned out differently. As it stands, they are all ready to be run out of the league.

My take on Orton is he's just good enough to get you beat. He's not going to lift you anywhere unless you're already quite talented. I don't think the Bills are that.

EJ Manuel, whenever I see him, doesn't pass the eye test. He doesn't seem like a guy that's ever truly threatening to a defense and his 19.77 QBR speaks to a guy who only has superficially respectable stats. But he's only played 14 games. There's still time for him to get better whereas with Orton, it's like going back to Fitzpatrick.

Between reaching for Manuel in the draft (and now benching him) and trading two first rounders for Sammy Watkins, it seems like every step of the way the Bills believe they're further along in this rebuild than anyone else thinks.

If not due to injury, I think this just shows that the current trend of reaching by as much as a full round to draft a QB if only because you think you need a QB is a huge mistake.

Locker

Ponder

Gabbert

Manuel

And I'm sure I'm missing a few others, had no business being drafted in the high-mid first round and they have suffered because of it. Had they been a second round pick, the need from the team to see them succeed immediately wouldn't be there and maybe things would have turned out differently. As it stands, they are all ready to be run out of the league.

That whole 2011 class was pretty ass for QB. Newton, Kaep and Dalton were the best - and arguably Dalton is better than Newton at this point. So many good players went in that draft that weren't QBs - AJ Green and Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Aldon Smith and Von Miller. But instead there was Locker and Ponder and Gabbert.

2013 at least didn't have absurd reaches for those qbs. EJ Manuel was the 16th pick, and that's not insane if you don't think you can get him later and you think he'll be good. The trouble is that I didn't see a whole lot of people thinking he was going to be particularly good. And in 2013, at least so far there's no real indication that anyone is OMG amazing from that draft. Cordarrelle Peterson maybe? Kyle Long? Gio Bernard? So far the jury is very out.

Really, we haven't had a lot of good QBs come out of college for a while. 2012 looks like OMG amazing between Luck and Wilson along with good QBs in Tannehill and Foles. From 2011, Kaep and Dalton and Newton are all starters, but who knows for how long. Literally no one from the 2010 draft is starting at QB now (Bradford was the top pick, and they did pick Tebow...yikes). Stafford's the only starter from the 2009 class. 2008 had Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. No one is starting (or really has started for a while) from the 2007 draft class that had JaMarcus and Brady Quinn.

So since 2007 to now, and not counting this year's QBs (just because we don't have enough info on them) we have 12 starters counting EJ Manuel and Geno Smith. 7 years of draft classes and 12 total starters still starting. That's brutal. But I guess that's why people reach - because finding that QB is so unlikely.

Heh, that's awesome.

Delay of game penalties feel like such a silly thing for a professional team to have. I just don't get them. How hard can it be to make a playcall and get it in and have everyone ready? Isn't that a fairly big part of what teams should be able to do at this level? Hell, they have a radio in the god damn helmet.

Though the sign thing seems like a much better deal, since everyone can see it and you don't have to rely on the QB telling others what's up. Just have all 11 players look to the sidelines, see the call, and you're good to go.

The elite quarterback prospects of that time have been pretty solid. Ryan, Stafford, Bradford, Newton, Luck, RGIII. Those were the guys that I recall being regarded as being worthy of their top 5 selections. And regardless of your feelings on them they would all at least be starting for somebody if they were healthy, and Luck and Ryan are safe bets to be top 5 quarterbacks in the league over the next decade.

The guys that were regarded as reaches (Russell, Sanchez, and then the floodgates opening in '10 drafts on) have been about as miserable as expected.

And it's not like other year's drafts have been much better. '02 first rounders were David Carr, Joey harrington and Patrick Ramsey. '03 Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and the Sex Cannon. '04 Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and J.P. Losman. '05 Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell. '06 Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler.

Jets cut 4th round draft pick Jalen Saunders 4 games into the season... WTF? He was off to a really bad start, but a 4th round draft pick is a valuable asset and they are dumping it after 4 games (one of which he was on the inactive list?). What a weird move.

Heh, that's awesome.

Delay of game penalties feel like such a silly thing for a professional team to have. I just don't get them. How hard can it be to make a playcall and get it in and have everyone ready? Isn't that a fairly big part of what teams should be able to do at this level? Hell, they have a radio in the god damn helmet.

You know what's weird is that this season, that doesn't even seem to be the issue. They are getting lined up with plenty of time left on the playclock (typically 10 seconds plus) then he just fails to get the ball in play before the clock hits zero. It's like he has zero awareness of where the clock is at.

In the past, they were having trouble getting the play called and getting lined up in a timely fashion.

The elite quarterback prospects of that time have been pretty solid. Ryan, Stafford, Bradford, Newton, Luck, RGIII. Those were the guys that I recall being regarded as being worthy of their top 5 selections. And regardless of your feelings on them they would all at least be starting for somebody if they were healthy, and Luck and Ryan are safe bets to be top 5 quarterbacks in the league over the next decade.

The guys that were regarded as reaches (Russell, Sanchez, and then the floodgates opening in '10 drafts on) have been about as miserable as expected.

And it's not like other year's drafts have been much better. '02 first rounders were David Carr, Joey harrington and Patrick Ramsey. '03 Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller and the Sex Cannon. '04 Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and J.P. Losman. '05 Alex Smith, Aaron Rodgers and Jason Campbell. '06 Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and Jay Cutler.

Yeah '04 was considered the best QB draft of the last 20 years because you had 3 franchise, 10+ year QBs come out of that class. It's just super rare. '12 will probably match it. I think we end up with 3 longterm franchise guys out of it (which now is most likely Luck, Wilson.....and Foles. Just a kick in the teeth.) But the 90's didn't have one draft class to compare to either. Have to go all the way back to '83 for something comparable.

But most draft classes only have one keeper. Some don't even have that. The rest end up as journeymen okay type starters (Alex Smith), backups (Mark Sanchez) or out of the league (JaMarcus Russell).

By this standard I think the '11 QB draft class is actually pretty good. Sure half are big busts. More than that, the teams who went QB too early missed out on potential multiple time pro bowlers. But getting even 3 pretty good starters out of a class is surprisingly rare. I don't see Newton, Kaepernick or Dalton flaming out Vince Young style. I lump 'em together because at different times I've flipped how I've felt about each one. All things being equal I see Carson Palmer/Mike Vick type career arcs out of this group. Maybe someone reaches a McNabb or Ryan level if things break right. Or go the way of Daunte Culpepper if they break wrong. Still the early returns have been pretty promising.

So can we agree that when your franchise QB makes outlandish claims about the talents of an aging CB's skills in practice, it means absolutely nothing?

Yeah, wow, both Bowe and the Chiefs in general are going at Revis without fear.

Archived