NFL Week 4-5: At the end of the first quarter...

Trebla

Ooh the Patriots tried the old switch the punt team out for the offense switcharoo. Something the Saints should have done last night.

Only problem is Brady runs a 7.6 40 which gave Andy Reid enough time to finish his turkey leg and call timeout.

You know what's weird is that this season, that doesn't even seem to be the issue. They are getting lined up with plenty of time left on the playclock (typically 10 seconds plus) then he just fails to get the ball in play before the clock hits zero. It's like he has zero awareness of where the clock is at.

In the past, they were having trouble getting the play called and getting lined up in a timely fashion.

Eh it's impossible to pinpoint the problem exactly. However, considering Alex Smith led the league in delay of game penalties under Harbaugh and was only middle of the road pre- and post-Harbaugh, I think the problem is not solely or even mostly Kaepernick.

The weird thing is the Chiefs look like they have more and better weapons than the Patriots. Travis Kelce alone is eating Gronk's lunch at the moment.

ETA: Oh Andy Reid clock management. Some things never change.

Eh it's impossible to pinpoint the problem exactly. However, considering Alex Smith led the league in delay of game penalties under Harbaugh and was only middle of the road pre- and post-Harbaugh, I think the problem is not solely or even mostly Kaepernick.

Oh yeah, the sideline is part of the problem, but I think they've improved compared to the past couple of seasons. That one in the 4th quarter yesterday, and the burned timeout prior to the punt were all Kaep though.

They sure don't look good. Luckily for them they can win their division by default.

Not so sure about that this year. If this keeps up tonight, are the Patriots really any better than the Dolphins? The Chiefs throttled the Dolphins as well, but Pats barely beat the Raiders. They both have a division loss on the road. Pretty much even.

I have no idea what to make of the Bills, but Orton probably isn't a good sign. As for the Jets, we can probably count them out in a few more weeks, their schedule is pretty tough.

It's like the Patriots have never played on the road before or have even the foggiest notion that Jamaal Charles is the Chiefs best weapon. This is pretty unrecognizable as a Belichick coached team.

ETA: Holy fuck. Tom Brady?

I have no idea what to make of the Bills, but Orton probably isn't a good sign. As for the Jets, we can probably count them out in a few more weeks, their schedule is pretty tough.

Speaking of the Bills and Jets, how long do you think the Jets stay with Geno. He's been pretty bad for a while now. I would say worse than Manuel. Don't know if Vick has anything left in the tank though.

Speaking of the Bills and Jets, how long do you think the Jets stay with Geno. He's been pretty bad for a while now. I would say worse than Manuel.

Such was the talk on WFAN this afternoon, as far as giving Vick a chance.

A couple of points.

One, I believe that if you go back to the NFL thread during the draft where the Bills took Manuel, you will find me lamenting our not taking an offensive lineman and trying to tank for Bridgewater.

Meanwhile, here we are a couple of years later, our O-line is still a tire fire, and Manuel is a bust. I expect this stupid fucking reload-don't-rebuild shit from the Maple Leafs, who worry their fans won't accept a rebuild or some shit. But thr Bills?!

2) Loltriots. Note - this team will probably WIN ITS FUCKING DIVISION.

Because I feel like tilting about the Bills... assorted hot takes from the 2013 draft thread.

FML.

Going to bed now. Wake me up after the draft, and please tell me the Bills didn't take a QB in the first.

Also, think how fuckin' hilarious it would be if graduating top-of-your-class at Harvard or Yale or Stanford Law meant you had to go be a PD or ambulance chaser in East St. Louis for four years before going wherever else you wanted.

As a Bills fan, if we take a QB in the first round, I'm going to find Buddy Nix and throw up all over him. Possibly after throwing up a bunch here first.

Dude, didn't the Bengals basically crush the draft last year?

Unbelievable.

Good pick at #6 for the Browns in Mingo.

I could probably live with Buffalo blowing the #16 pick or whatever we're about to get here on a QB. I'd be unhappy, but I might not projectile vomit.

I like that pick fine for the Jets, was kind of hoping the Bills might get Millner. I'm also worrying about who we're drafting at 16 now...

ETA: Though I was more hoping one of the good linepersons would fall to us. Oh, well.

To protect who?

The quarterback we draft next year when we have another high pick and there are legitimately good QBs coming out.

I kind of like the theoretical concept of overstocking the D with the high picks, as the offense is such a disasterpiece that I don't think any one player will really turn it around, but Richardson doesn't seem like the most brilliant decision, IDK. Getting a few marquee D guys upfront and then getting a bunch of offense later seems like an acceptable strategy to me, though.

ETA: Bones, it's risky, I'd agree, but I think that taking a mediocre QB with a high pick here just keeps the teams in the doldrums for 2-3 years longer than is otherwise necessary.

Yeah, I wouldn't hate it if we took Nassib in the 2nd round or something, or if we take someone else here and trade into the late first to get Nassib...

But, I think there are like four really high-quality QBs coming out next year, and I don't think any of these dudes are up to scratch.

Drumroll...

ETA: Fuck me.

Well, I hope he makes me look like an asshole. But, meh.

ETA: I haven't been paying tons of attention- have all the Goodell hugs this year been as awkward as that one?

Wow... Buffalo

EJ Manuel ? He wasn't as good of a QB as Christian Ponder at FSU.

multiple second round picks wouldn't be bad in this draft either. I wouldn't mind seeing them take Elam at safety and Okafer at DE in that round. That would be better than a Floyd pick in my book.

BLLLLAAAAAARRRRGGHRARHAHGHGAGHAERAHEHARGH

Archived