NFL Week 4-5: At the end of the first quarter...

Trebla

I really think it's more the supporting cast with Brady than it is a degradation of skills. If you swapped Manning and Brady, would those teams' records really be any different? Manning's deep ball has gone bye bye but he has fast guys and he has guys with HUGE catch radius's.

I agree. I think there is some degradation of skills, like his deep ball hasn't been right for a while, but mostly I just think he doesn't trust his receivers to make a play and doesn't trust his protection. He just doesn't look comfortable, he looks miserable out there, and that affects his rhythm and decision-making.

Also, I am about done with Josh McDaniels and his shitty playcalling. There is some deep dysfunction going on there. The Pats dressed five RBs and three TEs last night, only three WRs, and yet the opening drive, against a team with great pass rushers and poor run defense, was pass-pass-pass. The Pats have started every game this season with a three and out. And all the McDaniels guys they've brought in have failed -- Tebow, Brandon Lloyd, Greg Salas, and now Danny Fucking Amendola. Fuck McDaniels right in his ear.

OK, the Favre example is interesting as assuredly the Chad Brown and BB anecdote was. But my gut feeling was telling me that QB is a position where this phenomenon, to whatever extent it exists, would be less likely to manifest. But I could be wrong. Any other examples that come to mind of QB's dropping off immediately rather than gradually?

Hmm. That's a good question.

I think one might be Matt Schaub. He was fine, and then he fell off a cliff like BOOM. Jake Delhomme kind of falls into this too - a guy who was good, and then went to abysmal.

But maybe the poster boy was Daunte Culpepper. He was insanely good for a few seasons - people forget how great he really was in 2004, where he was throwing almost at a 70% completion rate - and then he falls more than 12% in completion rate for the next few years. McNabb also didn't do so well, but statistically his Redskins and Vikings games were pretty close to what he was in Philly.

Another one that might surprise is Troy Aikman. He was great for quite a few years and then...wasn't. His stats all drop in 1997 and stay down at about the same level for four years, with a just barely 55% completion rate after being at near 65% for his heyday.

And Steve Young is a great example - was doing well, and then bam, he wasn't - and then he's gone.

Other than that, you're right - QB play tends to degrade slowly over time. Marino was like that. So was Kelly. Joe Montana actually put up very similar stats in his final year to almost any other year before it, with a high completion% and low int rate. Steve McNair had some of his best seasons later in his career. I suspect a lot of it has to do with how much that QB got hit and how much they got injured. Young and Aikman and Culpepper and McNabb all suffered a fair amount of injuries, and eventually their body gave up.

I'd think it'd be more like Pennington than Favre. At some point Pennington's mind was just not enough to overcome his body's issues.

Yeah that's a good way to put it. And in contrast, so far Peyton Manning's incredible anticipation and supporting cast have kept him ahead of his clear physical issues. To be honest I didn't think that last drive against Seattle was possible for him. I think hitting guys downfield in the windows he did took 100% of his ability.

The $64,000 question is what each would look like if they switched supporting casts. Maybe Peyton's limitations are being totally masked by a very good set of skill position guys which allow him never to have to press (except for the Superbowl). It's a luxury Brady doesn't have. And yeah his stats have declined since 2012 in steps equal to the declines in his supporting cast but I don't think that explains all of what we saw last night. DYAR says he was worse than Kirk Cousins in week 4. That's a surreal level of terrible.

I think one might be Matt Schaub. He was fine, and then he fell off a cliff like BOOM. Jake Delhomme kind of falls into this too - a guy who was good, and then went to abysmal.

But maybe the poster boy was Daunte Culpepper. He was insanely good for a few seasons - people forget how great he really was in 2004, where he was throwing almost at a 70% completion rate - and then he falls more than 12% in completion rate for the next few years.

Not sure I like Schaub and Delhomme as examples only because I don't think they were ever more than just good. They didn't have all that far to fall in my estimation.

I think Culpepper you can chalk up to the talent that surrounded him early as opposed to later. And if memory serves, he put on quite a bit of weight towards the latter part of his career.

It's not even the first time the Raiders have done it. Lane Kiffin was fired 4 games into the season.

Saw a stat earlier that said the Raiders on average fire a coach every 30 games. You're not even guaranteed two full seasons with the team which is generally how long a new coach needs to get his system and players into place.

It's almost like the Raiders desperately want to fail.

Don't know how long it will take, but it looks like the FCC might effectively force Dan Snyder to change the name of his team.

The head of the Federal Communications Commission says the agency will consider a petition to ban the Washington Redskins nickname from the public airwaves.

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler says Tuesday that the commission "will be dealing with that issue on the merits, and we'll be responding accordingly."

A law professor has challenged the use of the name on broadcast television, saying it violates FCC rules against indecent content. Native American and other groups have demanded the name be changed, calling it a racial slur.

I can't see how the name could stay if the TV and radio announcers have to worry about being fined if they ever slip up and say it. And would TV have to blur out 'Redskins' from the stadium?

Don't know how long it will take, but it looks like the FCC might effectively force Dan Snyder to change the name of his team.

I can't see how the name could stay if the TV and radio announcers have to worry about being fined if they ever slip up and say it. And would TV have to blur out 'Redskins' from the stadium?

Interesting approach. I thought it was determined that Redskins didn't rise to the level of legal scrutiny though.

:dunno:

Randy Moss made Daunte Culpepper. Playing with the best receiver of all time in his prime tends to help one out.

I can't remember where I saw the article, but someone detailed how much better advanced metrics rate each quarterback when they play with Randy Moss vs. when they play without him. (Edit: here it is http://skepticalsports.com/?p=3025)

It's pretty absurd, actually.

Randy Moss made Daunte Culpepper. Playing with the best receiver of all time in his prime tends to help one out.

Most talented receiver of all time, possibly (though I'd probably give that to Megatron), but not The Best. Jerry Rice is and always will be the GOAT.

Don't get me wrong -- Randy Moss was a breathtaking player and I feel fortunate to have watched him in my team's uniform for a few years. There's still a certain tone I get in my voice when I say his name in football conversations, and my fantasy football team for a few years running was called the Straight Cash Homies in homage to him. But his inconsistent effort wasted his gifts, and he ain't and never was the best of all time.

I was almost right even though I missed the point of the discussion entirely...

Jerry Rice played in Oakland until 2004 and Culpepper was there in 2007.

ETA: How did I not know that Jerry Rice, Jr is on the Washington roster? :stunned: (Injured reserve, but still...)

We've had this debate before, and I have no problem calling Randy Moss the most talented or most athletic wide receiver of all time, and that includes Megatron. But Jerry Rice was obviously a better receiver, because he was more productive, more consistent and contributed more to his team winning year after year.

ETA: How did I not know that Jerry Rice, Jr is on the Washington roster? :stunned: (Injured reserve, but still...)

How? Because he isn't very good?

Which were a lot rarer than you make it sound. There is a reason he was almost nonexistent against the Giants for 3 quarters of the Super Bowl.

That's just part of the game . He draws more attention opening up more options with other players .

You make it sound as if he's overrated , let's not forget his 20+ TD season . And to be honest I think if he had better -hardworking- attitude, I think he'd still be in the league and playing at a high level (anquan Blodin ish ) he had all the tools .

Archived